Is C25K REALLY for "couch" people?

Options
13»

Replies

• bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Start off with a regular walking routine. Gradually speed up your walking. Then start C25K. No problem. :)
  • tammyandzach
    tammyandzach Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    This is probably a really dumb question. But the way I keep myself going is I keep myself distracted. So I watch netflix on my phone while on the treadmill. Has anyone found an app that will count down the time and verbally tell you but let you netflix at the same time?
  • macsgirl526
    Options
    I saw this last night and was very interested. I downloaded the app this morning.Tonight or tomorrow morning I am going to start.I have never ever been a runner but I want to become one. So we will see. :)
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I had knee surgery 3 times and have never run in my life because of bad knees. The first time I started C25K, I tried doing it where I used to live which was a hilly area. I almost died just trying to jog 60-90 seconds. I moved and now I am running outside on flat ground or on the treadmill at the gym when it's hot...I can do 3 minutes at a time with 1.5-2 minutes walking in between. I am not following it exactly but I am using the intervals and upping it as much as I can each week.
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    @ mamabear0222:
    OMG this is NOT for couch people ... I thought I was going to die
    I walked at least 1/2 of it ... :(
    But I did the whole thing ..

You can do it. And if you keep at it, eat right, drink lots of water, and most of all, stretch and rest, it will get easier. If you need support, send me a friend request- you WILL have my support! Hang in there and you will succeed!
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I think so. I started this program being a decent walker (walking several times/wk) but never imagined being able to jog/run for 30 secs let alone for 3 miles. I actually kind of pushed myself into this on my own. During my walks I would say ok jog to that telephone pole and kept pushing myself. Finally I committed my mind to doing this. I am currently heading into week 5. Week 4 started to become more of a challenge for me and I may repeat it if I feel I need to. But the end of wk 5 is a huge jump. I am trying not to let my nerves get to me. But the way I look at it is I am doing something outside of my comfort zone and I feel good about it. I am so proud of myself for even committing to doing this. I say go for it!
  • kkmulholland
    Options
    Great thread of encouragement!
    I'm so glad I read this before my Wk1/D1 start off today. Had I failed to complete the session as written, I would have really felt like a failure. I'm glad to know now that it take more time than advertised for many people to get going on this. Of course, I stupidly have already signed up for a 5K! HA! We'll see how much gets run and how much gets walked. :-D
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I got off the couch in January. I was so embarressed at my inability to run properly and my physical shape that I would only go when it was dark outside.

This Saturday I ran my first race; a half marathon on a very muddy trail in 2 hours 8 mins. Far from fast but not a disgrace. It was an amazing feeling.
    OMG this is NOT for couch people ... I thought I was going to die
    I walked at least 1/2 of it ... :(
    But I did the whole thing ..

That's exactly what my wife said during her first week. She was convinced she'd never get to 1 mile. She now runs 5k 3 times a week and has run her first race raising £400 for charity in the process.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    your post inspired me to write my first blog post

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/sjb74uk
  • masanz1
    masanz1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    great program for the non runner. I started the program on 6/17/2011...ran my first 5K on 9/17/2011 throughout 2011 I have ran at least one race a month...2012 I have only ran one 5k...the rest of been over 10K. I now run 4 times a week, 3x5k and 1 at least 10k...bike and swim twice a week and am working on my first triathlon on August 26. BTW I use to weigh 350 lbs...now weigh 185...site doesnt reflect since I started using MFP a year into my life change.
  • macsgirl526
    Options
    OMG.I did it today.My 1st day and I did it. I was able to jog the whole minute every time I was suppose to!! I am super proud.I was very nervous to begin this. It kicked my butt BUT I freaking did it!!!!!:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • mrsbankston
    mrsbankston Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just started this week. I'm on Day 2 and surviving though I've never ran a day in my life either lol. It's kicking my butt already but I feel so proud of myself. :) I'm nervous about the coming weeks, but I'm up for the challenge. I'm just going to modify the plan, maybe stretch it out longer, if I feel like I can't accomplish it in those 8 weeks. That's a short time!!
  • captainspalding
    Options
    I started the c25k the day I gave a 30 a day smoking habit. I had never run anywhere and had been over weight my whole life. I had to repeat a couple of weeks especially at the half way mark where the intensity really starts building.

I'd say it is for true "couch" people if your mind is in the right place. Running is 80% in your head at the end of the day. I've been doing it for 6 months now and have lost over 40lbs. i still have some more to go but my 5k morning runs have become a cherished moment of my week. I get up at 5am while no one is around and and head out. It's pretty much the only time I have to myself and I get all grouchy if I can't go out.

It's all in your head.
    Some advice (that no one ever takes but I'll give it anyway). First of all get some banging techno music. Even if you don't like it, it will pace you so you don't go to fast and knacker yourself out to fast. Google 150bpm running mixes and you'll be provided with excellent resources. You can speed up as you progress but trust me when I say 150 is fine to start with.
    Get good shoes
    Do it in the morning before you eat or drink anything
    Have I mentioned pacing yourself yet?
    Find routes that are fun to run. I have a few but one I do most often has become like an extension of my street I know it so well. People even say hello to me now.

This is a long post but seriously, c25k pretty much changed myself. I'm so much happier now and have copious amounts of energy. You can do it.
  • amagus
    amagus Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes. it worked for this Mrs. Potato Head. I literally could not run 100 yards and keep up with a 4 year-old. Now I am a veteran of 1 race and training to increase my speed for race 2. I still hate running, but do love posting my completed workouts.

Advice, If you find any day particularly difficult, repeat it. Do not move on if you can barely make it through the routine.

FYI - I am a 47 year-old Grandma and in my race came in 71 out 87 in my age/gender group. I felt like I won an Olympic metal.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options

Some advice (that no one ever takes but I'll give it anyway). First of all get some banging techno music. Even if you don't like it, it will pace you so you don't go to fast and knacker yourself out to fast. Google 150bpm running mixes and you'll be provided with excellent resources. You can speed up as you progress but trust me when I say 150 is fine to start with.

This is a nice tip.
    I find I like different music for running than I do for actually sitting and listening to, and the right beats per minute really does get me into the zone.
    I came home from my run yesterday and confessed to my husband that I listed to a Skrillex remix of Bad Romance 10 times in row, and he kindly suggested I not ever admit to that in public, LOL.
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    tomorrow is day 2 of week 2 for me and i LOVE it!! Before starting I had never gone for a run or a jog
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I was a never-runner and it worked for me! :)