How do you people stay at 1200 a day??

Options

Replies

• bkitten1
    bkitten1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Once I got over my sugar addiction and was able to cut out almost all simple sugars and simple carbs it has not been to difficult. I do have off days, like last week where I started eating out again; I still managed to stay within 1200 calories every day but every day that I eat the simple carbs and sugars my body gets hungry. I do my best to stick to a whole food high veggie with some fruit and lean proteins. I also drink green tea and A LOT of water, I add mint leaves, lemon slices, cucumber, orange slices, ect.. because I do not like the flavor of regular water very much but do not want to use artificial sweeteners or flavors so I add natural flavors. I do not eat 'diet' food, I think most of that stuff is making us heavier not healthier, .. well it has been working for me, not sure if it helps you but there ya go :)
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I have trouble eating UP TO 1200!!! And I eat 3 meals a day filled with proteins and carbs. Very healthy.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have 1000 calories limit BUT exercise a lot, sometimes I eat them back, sometimes I don't... But I like knowing there just sat there in case I need them.

I don't think I could diet on 1200 calories a day total... If you don't exercise try walking a little just to boost your calorie allowance, thats the reason I started walking, just to have more calories.

GOOD LUCK.
  • speediejane
    speediejane Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    protien foods fill you up meats,egg,nuts and plenty veg and fruit
  • Kourtne_KK
    Kourtne_KK Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't find it that difficult. sometimes I go over. but I like really bland foods and I eat lean protein to stay full.

Breakfast:
    cereal with almonds and rasins or just cheerios 175 cal

snack:
    popcorn 170 cal or 2 boiled eggs 120 cal

lunch:

veggies
    whole wheat bread(57 cal a slice)
    turkey slices(20 cal a slice)
    or just a huge bowl of black eyed peas(lol see im pretty bland)

dinner:

kidney beans/chicken/ or beef all boiled and made in stew

I add vegies and/or potatoes

and have it with either basmati rice or chippati ( the whole meal together is about 400-500 cals)

I also drink a lot of tea and water and I keep myself busy(stay at home mom)
    I rarely workout b/c I just don't have time and when I do its like 10mins of walking up and down stairs which burns about 160 cals)
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Well thank goodness Im not the only one I maintain 1200 cals is way too low unless you are 4 foot 2 and sit all day,I would pass out with the hunger I stick at 1500-1600 a day I do 60 minutes cardio 5 days and have just started with weights,I feel great and I have lost 22 lbs since April I am still 14 lbs above what I would hope to be but do you know what I feel great fit and healthy so I really dont mind,let it happen if it wil.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    We eat 12 100 calorie pack snacks every 2 hours and celery in between.

i lied.
  • toxicsgrl
    toxicsgrl Posts: 12
    Options
    im on slim fast so find it easier to have less cals when i have a shake for breakfast and lunch!
  • Killing_Perfection
    Killing_Perfection Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't get hungry with 1200 kcal net, but I get urges, and the only thing that helps is pulling myself together. Those cherries and melons in the kitchen? The yoghurt and chocolate I hid from my ever-omnomnom-ing family? I've been eyeing them for some time now, but I have my carbs down at 35%, so it's not always an option. Discipline is the key, keep in mind what you're doing this for and who (namely, yourself, or so I hope).

Staying with protein in general is one way of keeping your calories low. Turkey hen, fish, chicken - all have very little calories so you can eat a bunch without any problem. Salad is also a wonderful choice, as is drinking lots of water before and during eating.

Also, working out really helps. I love food and sweets and fruits and all that good stuff. If I really want a portion of Ben & Jerry's, that's completely alright - but I'll have to earn it. And 100 ml of that stuff can easily be worth 20+ minutes on the elliptical....
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    i dont...lol

or just work out like mad! i.e burn 400 cals then you can eat 1600 which is much more manageable
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Piles and piles of vegetables. My goal is 1380 but I am never hungry because I eat a lot of "bulking" vegetables for basically no calories.
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't. I tried it and I was miserable. But I am a cyclist doing race training, I'm on my bike for 6 hours a week (which will increase again in 2 weeks time) and I do weights and resistance training. If you are very active, and you need to build muscle for your sport, 1200 cals isn't enough for the majority of people.

But, if I was injured, or couldn't train for any reason, I would drop my calorie intake and the tips on here are useful for knowing how to survive on less cals without being hungry.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I do get hungry sometimes. I will drink a big glass of water first. If in 10 minutes I am still hungry, then I will eat a snack.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I actually find it pretty easy to stay under 1200 a day as long as I avoid processed foods and grains, those are what add up fast. I eat two solid meals every day and I am not hungry or starving. Personally I prefer to skip breakfast but I could still stay under 1,200 AND eat breakfast by taking 200 cal from dinner and eating them at breakfast. If I were to eat breakfast I would make an omelet with 1 egg, 3 whites and veggies which would be under 200 calories. Here is what a typical day looks like for me:

Lunch 300-400 calories
    I make a salad with three main elements: greens, lots of fresh veggies, and a protein
    Salad made with huge bed of greens (4-5 cups)= 15 calories
    Fresh chopped veggies (varies depending on the protein, usually add carrots, onion, avocado)= 75-150 calories
    Protein= 80-150 calories (either 2 hard boiled eggs, 4 oz. tuna, 4 oz. canned salmon, 3-4 deli turkey slices, or veggie burger)

Dinner 600-900 calories
    6 oz chicken breast OR 6 oz tilapia or other white fish OR 4 oz sirloin= 210 calories, or
    veggie side= 50-200 calories (either I make a small salad, I steam some fresh veggies, or I sauté veggies if I have room for the extra cals in the olive oil)

Late night snack= >200 calories
    1 cup fage greek yogurt= 130 calories
    1/2 cup blueberries= 40 calories

You can look at my diary for more ideas, it is open. I don't log everyday for dinner but am pretty consistent with lunch to give you ideas. Most of the time I eat no bread, no pasta, etc. and that is what really helps me stay under. If I do have those items I limit myself to one serving (usually about 100-200 calories) and no more! On days when I have extra calories I enjoy fresh fruit.

This ^^^^^^^^
    thanks I needed menu
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I eat right at 1200 calories and usually not much more than 1300. My food diary is open and you are welcome to view it. I eat plenty and altogether I have lost 49 lbs since mid January. I am not starving, just eat lower calorie alternatives and if I want to eat something not so low in calories, I will fit it into my diary somehow. I have altered a number of recipes to fit into my calorie allowance. Currently have 20 or so stored. (I know it says 39 lbs but I lost 10 before I started here) Somedays it's not easy but it can be done with plenty to eat.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1200 and 1400, and it's not a problem at all. For breakfast either a hardboiled egg, some vegetables and a slice of ham, or oatmeal porridge made with water, which I then eat with low-fat youghurt and some fruits or berries. If I have been feelign very hungry I mix some protein powder into it. With this water and tea.

For lunch I am very lucky, where I work they have a lunch bar with a wide range of vegetables. I fill my plate with vegetables, go easy on the dressings, and try to go for lean meat, fish, or eggs for proteins. Sometimes I take a few slices of cheese, if I feel very hungry. It's a European sized lunch plate I fill up, not very large when compared to the regular size of plates in the USA, so you'll have to watch the amount depending on the size of the plate. I avoid anything fried or with a fatty crust, I also avoid potatoes, rice and spaghetti, as I prefer the minerals and vitamins of vegetables with my calories.

For dinner it's pretty much the same as for lunch. I use a wok frequently, and stir-fry vegetables and a little meat or fish, or I bake the meat in the oven. Both makes it easy to avoid using a lot of fat. I have a lot of vegetables with the meat or fish. If I still want a snack or really feel I need a reward, I use chocolate which is 70% chocolate solids or darker. It sates my cravings much more efficiently than sweeter chocolate, so I don't need to eat that much.

I drink water or tea through the day, with the occasional small latte.

This normally comes out between 1200 and 1400. If I still feel hungry I grab the protein powder again, and make a smoothie with berries, low-fat youghurt and protein powder. If I am very active, I will eat a little more or make a cup of cocoa with cocoa powder and sweetener and milk, and have whipped cream (no sugar) on top, and feel like I have been really wild!

I have cut out alcohol and am very careful with fruits, choosing berries instead, for vitamins and minerals. It isn't difficult, but I need to make it easy for me to eat right, or I'll slip and not notice I have gained bad habits until I am gaining kilos.
  • ShaunMc1968
    ShaunMc1968 Posts: 204
    Options
    My initial calorie allocation was too low, I was hungry all the time. I ajusted my profile and goals and I am now at 1700 a day and offset that with some exercise - even 20 minutes walk gets you a calorie bonus if you wish.
  • Gianna44
    Gianna44 Posts: 124
    Options
    I don't get hungry with 1200 kcal net, but I get urges, and the only thing that helps is pulling myself together. Those cherries and melons in the kitchen? The yoghurt and chocolate I hid from my ever-omnomnom-ing family? I've been eyeing them for some time now, but I have my carbs down at 35%, so it's not always an option. Discipline is the key, keep in mind what you're doing this for and who (namely, yourself, or so I hope).

Staying with protein in general is one way of keeping your calories low. Turkey hen, fish, chicken - all have very little calories so you can eat a bunch without any problem. Salad is also a wonderful choice, as is drinking lots of water before and during eating.

Also, working out really helps. I love food and sweets and fruits and all that good stuff. If I really want a portion of Ben & Jerry's, that's completely alright - but I'll have to earn it. And 100 ml of that stuff can easily be worth 20+ minutes on the elliptical....

^^^ This

I've only joined here yesterday but am definitely not new at counting calories (or "points" - same thing, new name).
    I can definitely stay full and meet my nutritional needs at 1200 calories (or even a bit less some days), but it's the cravings or mindless eating that makes me think that I sometimes need more.

Learning to evaluate whether or not I am actually hungry helps - if I am truly hungry, a low cal protein snack or vegetables with hummus will satisfy for low calories. But avoiding the hunger in the first place does take planning and my daily calories have to be used fairly wisely to do so. I always allow room for "treats" and won't give up my favorite foods, it's just that I may not be able to eat some of them at every meal or day, depending upon how quickly I want to reach my goals.
  • emilyw86
    emilyw86 Posts: 2
    Options
    I just started and this is my third day, but I have been eating about 90% clean foods, staying around the 1200 cal mark and have not felt hungry. Maybe it is your food choices. You can add me as a friend and see my diary. Hang in there. Like others have said, I eat 100 cal. snacks like almonds or walnuts to stave off cravings.

I Do the very same and I am not hungry at all and with all the other diets I have tried this is by far the best, as it is the only one I have stuck to :D. There right when they say having it wrote down makes you way more concious of what your eating. I started this a few days ago but joined this app today and only because I watched Secret Eaters on channel 4. I saw a lot of myself in that program, well more my bad habits then anything else :)

Good Luck, If you want it enough you will succeed!

Em:D
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I ate at 1200 calories for the first couple of weeks I was on MFP. Then I set custom goals and went to 1500 calories - no eating back exercise calories. Now I eat between 1400 and 1700 depending on my activity level.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!