What is crap food?

Options
Bmontgomery613
Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
Ok, so help a girl out. I've seen a few threads about others complaining about 'friends' losing weight while eating "crap" food, so I'm curious. What constitutes 'crap' food? Are there criteria that said food must meet? Is my homemade chocolate chip cookie more crap or less crap than the one I buy from the store bakery? Or are they the same? Is it crap if it's from a box? Or a bag? Or a fast food restaurant? What about fast food salads or grilled chicken sandwiches, are they crap too? I guess I'm just trying to figure out the parameters of what food is crap and what food will help me to be as healthy as I possibly can be. It's a process and I want to do my best.

Thanks for indulging!

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    There is no technical definition of "crap" food, and you'll get a wide range of opinions on it, but to me, "crap" food is:

1. Food that is very high in things that are already too high in the American diet, such as, say, sodium or sugar.
    2. Food that is very low in nutrition compared to the number of calories you get.

So as to your example of homemade cookies - depends on how you made them. If you make them from the exact same ingredients using the exact same process the bakery you bought them from, they aren't any better for you. If you improved the recipe so as to add more nutrition (snuck in some nuts or seeds for protein and fiber, used a healthier oil/fat, etc) then the calories in them may be lowered or at least give you some nutritional benefit. Cookies are rarely "healthy", but you can make them less unhealthy if you make them better.
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Those who make your body & yourself feel like crap. Easy - Sugar loaded, Vegetable oils, Processed, High sodium etc..
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    For about 95% percent of people on here crap food constitutes anything processed or fast food.

Personally, I love crap food.. and always will have a soft spot for crap food. Have I cut down my fast food intake? Yes, I have a lot.. but I still eat it every now and then.
  • tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If I only had crap for food, I'd lose weight too!

haha, couldn't resist! :laugh:
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Crap food is defined on MFP as: food somebody else doesn't enjoy as much as you do...
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    food with too much fat content. junk food: chips, candy, soda
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Now, it is anything that I eat that is processed, has a lot of sugar, is fast food, etc. Whenever I try and eat some of those things - my stomach rolls and makes terrible noises for about 3 hours. I just stopped eating "crap".
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    crap food, IMHO = too much sugar, or fat, or both, or too much of other things that are bad, too much salt, too much additive, too much colouring...too much added full stop...
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    food that's full of WIN.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    food that's full of WIN.

Yes, and deliciousness...
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I would say anythign that has feces in it...but thats just a guess
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    If you're eating the food that comes out of the pooper you're doing it wrong.
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The only crap food out there is the kind eaten to excess.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I guess its our own personal definition. Some will look at my list and think its crazy but it isn't to me and it works. To me, "crap food" is the food you would eat if you are not trying to lose weight and be healthy doing so. My list would be:

1) too much of a good food consumed in a meal
    2) you hesitate to tell or won't tell your personal trainer you ate it
    3) contains ingredients you would not include if you were doing the cooking
    4) contains; dairy, sugar, artificial sweetener, excess sodium, excess oil, excess animal protein, excess fruit, gluten or alcohol
  • tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I guess its our own personal definition. Some will look at my list and think its crazy but it isn't to me and it works. To me, "crap food" is the food you would eat if you are not trying to lose weight and be healthy doing so. My list would be:

4) contains; dairy, sugar, artificial sweetener, excess sodium, excess oil, excess animal protein, excess fruit, gluten or alcohol

^^^^^^^This and...
    5) Poop
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    homemade chocolate chip cookie is ALWAYS less crap food than the local bakery. Many bakeries (particularly the grocery store ones) just use frozen dough. That dough contains ingredients you would not use at home (preservatives, high fructose corn syrup etc.)

Homemade is always best.

I think in general, crap food is not eating clean. It's something that comes in a box or a bag. It's something that came from a factory not a farm (or a factory farm).

I've heard the rule that if the food did not come out of the ground, or does not have a parent than it is "crap food"
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    It has to be 'clean' to be 'uncrapped' so always wash your food in bleach so it is 'clean'.

Obviously, I believe that any food you enjoy can be incorporated into a healthy diet and lifestyle. I am sure there are plenty that believe I just eat crap.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Whatever the Cool Kids DON"T eat.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's subjective. Like music. For example, some people think Nickleback is music. They're not; they're crap. Similarly, some people think tofu dogs are food....
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

You would not be comfortable in my house. We make our own beer & wine and grow many of the ingredients needed. :)