Food that makes you crap.
  • Dreamerryu27
    Dreamerryu27 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    You are what you eat!
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Just about everything in my diary for today.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Also many family restaurants fall into the fast food category (even though you may not see them as fast food). In particular the chain restaurants just heat up frozen food...no one is actually doing any cooking in the kitchen. That's why restaurants like Olive Garden, Chili's, Applebee's etc. are actually still considered 'fast' food (and why the levels of sodium and preservatives are so high in the foods).

I just thought of this when you asked about fast food salads.

In some of those chains the salad is actually not the healthiest choice on the menu and many of them clock in at around 1,100 calories (due to creamy dressings, fried chicken, etc.) Ordering the salad on the fast food menu does not automatically = healthy.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Crap food to me is any sort of over processed foods/junk foods.. cookies, cake, pasta, pizza, etc. home made or not.. though home made is at least probably better nutritionally.
    I can't eat any. I will instantly gain like 5 pounds.
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I always wonder what difference it makes to anyone else what I eat. But that's just me.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Is this thread about human centipede?

article_human_centipede2.png
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    You are what you eat!

That makes me a big ol _____!
  • adry20
    adry20 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    To me, crap food is anything that was conventionally grown.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Taso FTW!!! \m/
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    My definition of 'crap' food is anything that constitutes a "food-like" substance. This is about 90% of the grocery store. If it has ingredients you can't pronounce or don't know it's crap food. Most of what is on the grocery store shelves is the human equivalent of pet chow or kibble (with just the switch of a few key ingredients)

When you take real food, strip it down and tear it apart then "fortify" it with stuff (in other words: add things back in) you have destroyed the synergy of the food and made what the food is made of much less healthy and recognizable by the body.

Real food: fruit, vegetables, meat, poultry, fish, greens, nuts, seeds (I don't consume grains but even grains are real food).

I don't 'eat clean'. I eat food.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Anything your pet tapeworm wont eat
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    I make an amazing crap burrito.... well that is what my guests say when they ask for the recipe, I don't have the guts to try it.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I see crap food as a lot of the instant and frozen food you can buy. Like hamburger helper or all the side dishes you buy in a box and "just add water." Ramen noodle included! Frozen dinners as well. Those Little Debbie snacks are notorious. Many calories, not nutritional value. I also classify a lot of sit down restaurants & fast food as crap food. I rarely buy the instant foods, but I don't eat completely clean. I really don't have the time to make every last thing or prepare food everyday.

I'd say shop in the outer aisles of the grocery store and stay away from the most inner aisles. That is where "crap food" is. Ever notice how the seasonal candy and snack aisle is right in the middle?
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    to me, its anything with hydrogenated oils or high fructose corn syrup
  • lemasney
    lemasney Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The thing is that your friend's proposed idea is that it is difficult to lose weight while eating "crap food", but it's not.

If you burn more than 1600 calories a day for the next two weeks, and you eat only 16 processed, packaged, trans-fat filled, sugar-packed, cocaine laced 100-calorie pack cupcake packs a day, you will lose weight.

You will feel like dirt, lethargic, with difficulty thinking, sleeping, and making sense, but you'll lose weight.

Michael Pollan says it best: Eat food, less of it, move more.

'Food' is real, recognizable, natural, un- or less-processed food. Hint: If it has a logo, it is less likely to be food. If it has advertisements, it's less likely to be food. If they sell it in the center aisles of groceries, it's less likely to be food.

The more you eat fresh produce, less processed foods, and less sugar- and fat- added foods, the less crap you will be eating.
  • Runnin_Jim
    Options
    Scientifically, "crap" food is anything that tastes great and makes you feel like, well, "crap." Conversely, of course, "non-crap" food generally tastes like "crap" and makes you feel great!

Seriously, there are good things in "crap" food, too -- just not enough of it and usually loaded with too much of the bad stuff. "Bad" stuff is in "crap" food, (like saturated fat, sodium, sugar, etc.) in abundance, and that's the stuff to avoid.

However, there is "crap" in good food, too -- just not as much.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Crap food to me is any sort of over processed foods/junk foods.. cookies, cake, pasta, pizza, etc. home made or not.. though home made is at least probably better nutritionally.
    I can't eat any. I will instantly gain like 5 pounds.

Actually homemade pizza can be very healthy! I ate it twice in this past week, and no, I did not gain 5 lbs.

You can control what goes on it. You can use whole wheat dough and low fat cheese if you want. Always a better choice than takeout and easier to log since you KNOW what you put on it.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Anything except bacon.
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Anything except bacon.

This man is correct .