What time do you get up to exercise?

Options

Replies

• beccag28
    beccag28 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Where do you guys live that you are an hour away from a gym? I'm in New Zealand and its a 5 minute walk to my gym :P So I can get up at 7am at the gym 7.10, home by 8.10 to get ready for uni at 9
  • QueenB985
    QueenB985 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Alarm goes off at 5am M-F and I'm at the gym by 5:30am! I feel lost without my morning workouts!
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Wow, you guys are badass. I was proud of myself for getting up at 6am before I read this thread. I'll have to boost that to 5:30am or so as my runs get longer or if I swap Insanity to mornings rather than evenings.
  • EmiVReyes
    EmiVReyes Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I thought 5 am was hard! lol i don't know if i could get up any earlier!
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Up at 445; gym opens at 5!
  • xSinfulUndeadx
    Options
    I exercise at night. Not sure if that's bad or not. I'm not a morning person and usually wake up at 11. It just makes since to me to exercise after I've consumed my 3 meals for the day. Any suggestions?
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    NotAllWhoWanderAreLost Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    funny to see this thread: today was my FIRST day of waking up early to run in the morning, vs my normal late evening runs (I'm a die-hard night owl!!). Got up at 545 (after debating bailing on the whole morning workout idea) got dressed, got my 3+ mile run in, showered and was feeling very happy but OMG now, at 445PM, i am really YAWNING! hahaha ... I suppose if i keep on this schedule, i will grow used to it :) It is nice to know, right from the outset, how many calories i have to work with for the day instead of estimating an evening burn. :yawn: :laugh:
  • betrayalunknown
    Options
    M-F I am up at 4:30. I make breakfast and lunch, get my stuff ready and I am out the door by 6:15am. I live close to the gym, so I can be on the machine by 6:30. I complete my workout around 8:20-8:30 and after getting ready, I am at work at 9:30. After work, I go back to the gym around 7. (I work out a lot because I eat.... a lot.) I don't try to net a ridic low amount. I net 2600 avg. So..... yeah. I have learned that if I want to eat my heart out all day (with healthy foods for the most part) I also have to work my heart out. Every. Gosh.Darn.Day.

Basically, in a nutshell... work for what you want. Although I only sleep 4-5 hours a night, that is all my body really needs. I am fully functional on little sleep. But don't push yourself to wake up at the crack of dawn just to work out. That's not healthy, either.

Good luck!
  • msgremmy
    msgremmy Posts: 88
    Options
    I've always been curious about this!

I get up between 5 and 5:30 on weekdays, depending on the workout I want to do. I must be in the shower by 6am, or else I'll be late for work. My alarm goes off at 4:45... but I don't get out of bed until 5. I sleep with my sports bra on (no excuses!), so I just run downstairs and pop in a DVD in after I grab some water, or I put my jogging pants on and head outside. I'd feel better if I got up earlier and had time to adjust to being awake, but mornings despise me and getting up earlier isn't something I'm willing to entertain yet.

I go to sleep between 10 and 11:30. It's never early enough.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I work shifts - one week earlies, one week lates - so I have to do my exercise accordingly. When on earlies I sometimes start work at 3.45am, so doing my run beforehand is out of the question, I will do my workout after work on those occasions.

The earliest I have worked out lately has been 7.30am - it was excellent, never thought I was a morning runner but it was great.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'm a late night exerciser. I usually get up around 10am most days and go to bed at 2am. In the summer it is nice to exercise at 11pm outdoors. By then most of the mosquitoes have gone to bed and it is nice and cool. Since I work from home, I usually wake up and got straight to work. Exercising before work will distract me from my work day and I may not get anything done.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Where do you guys live that you are an hour away from a gym? I'm in New Zealand and its a 5 minute walk to my gym :P So I can get up at 7am at the gym 7.10, home by 8.10 to get ready for uni at 9

In the US, most suburbs are an hour away from everything. That is where an awful lot of the American working class live. That's why cars are so important to us, we live 30k from just about everything we do daily!
  • captainspalding
    Options
    I get up at 5am for my runs.
    It's a great time to go running, no traffic, people or anything around. i get to run down the middle of wide boulevards and 6 lane highways.

I'm considering getting up earlier as I'm about to increase me distance
  • briznik
    briznik Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My gym doesn't open till 6:30am and I have to leave for work by 7:30. In theory it's easy enough but the main problem is that I then have an hour drive to work and can't wait that long for breakfast!

What do you all eat in the morning? breakfast pre-workout, portable breakfasts for the commute, or eat at work later?
  • stonegirldancing
    stonegirldancing Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I exercise at night. Not sure if that's bad or not. I'm not a morning person and usually wake up at 11. It just makes since to me to exercise after I've consumed my 3 meals for the day. Any suggestions?

I haven't had any trouble exercising at night, either. I think it just depends on what works best for you. I've tried to talk myself into waking up super early, but I know it's not in me and would just cause a self-defeatist attitude when I know I'm completely okay to exercise at night.
  • DargoMack
    DargoMack Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I also exercise in the evenings - 5:30 so I'm home by 7. I am not a morning person, so Saturday is my rest day and Sunday I do a 4 or 5pm class. It's a good way for me to break up the day.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Around 430-5am for me. I have a hard time getting a workout done after sitting at a desk for 8hrs and another 45min in traffic. I just have no motivation after work
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I get up at 0530, out the house by 0600 and cycle 9 miles. Then do the cycle the same 9 miles in the evening. Not going further just going faster.
  • captainspalding
    Options
    Around 430-5am for me. I have a hard time getting a workout done after sitting at a desk for 8hrs and another 45min in traffic. I just have no motivation after work

Indeed, I attempted an evening run today and had to walk a good section of it. Won't be doing that again.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5, but I don't really exercise until 7. It's usually just after walking the dog for half an hour... I find that to be a pretty good warmup and can launch right into my dynamic stretches, then onto my workout.

3 times a week I also fit in some strength training in the afternoons.