Vanity Sizing - Who are the worst offenders?

Options
123457»

Replies

• decastromichelle
    Options
    I was So happy to go from a size 10 in old navy to a size 2 but after reading all this I might just be in the same size???? this is so sad????
  • passifloraFoetida
    Options
    Under armor. My god. I have to buy small and extra small workout shirts from them. I am NOT and extra small person. I am a medium at best and a large in most other retailers.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I have clothing from size XS- 12 in my closet.

It just means I get to play dress up whenever I go shopping to figure out the proper size.
  • fitsporation96
    Options
    Hello,

I would say Topshop and River Island, I am a size 8 UK and lets just say they won't button but I am a size 6 UK in their dresses, but Zara size 6 UK Trousers are too big lol.
  • cuteandfunsized
    cuteandfunsized Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options
    Old Navy ~ I'm a 2-4 (Thanks but not true)

I love my Joe's Jeans, True Religion and 7 for all mankind for keepin it real!!

On the same note, I am curious if Miss Me jeans run big or true to size.

Miss me jeans go by waist size and they're right on :)
  • vegkitten
    vegkitten Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I could nearly fit two of me in a size 3 shorts from Hot Topic.

Forever 21, I usually am too small for a X-S. Same with Target's T-shirts.

At Victoria's Secret, I swim in the X-S tops. And they measured me at a 32C. Like seriously? You can tell from my profile picture, that is not even close.

I'm a small girl, but c'mon. This is ridiculous. I usually shop in childrens. :/
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    I confess that I was one of the people who was actually excited to hear J. Crew was coming out with size 000, as their 00s are usually too big for me.

For some reason I have more of a problem with shorts than with jeans or pants. A few days ago I tried on a pair of cute denim shorts at Lucky size (23/00) and I could easily slide them on and off without unbuttoning them. I do, have jeans in the same size that seem to fit just fine, however. I have the same issue with shorts from the Gap.

I generally do pretty well shopping at Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, and Loft...but only because they carry XXS and 00 petite sizes (which run smaller than their regular sizes, but being short they work for me...if I were tall and thin, I'd be out of luck), as their regular 00s are often too big.

I know I am small...but I am rarely the tiniest person in the room...so if I am wearing the smallest size sold in most shops (and occasionally find even the smallest sizes too large)...where are the really skinny ladies shopping?

At the moment I am actually wearing a pair of leggings from Target...from the girls' department...and they aren't even an XL, but just a Large (10-12). But I am far too old to be wearing clothing made for little girls (aside from basic navy leggings to wear around the house...I also have a grey pair with glitter stars...because stars make me happy).
  • coletoy
    coletoy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Honestly, for me it varies not just by size but by the cut of the clothing.

Measured, on a pattern, I wear a 12 or 14.

At most retailers these days I wear a 2.

At Old Navy, I have jeans that run from a 0 to a 4, dresses that run from a 0-4.

I have Juniors Clothing in sizes 3 to 5. I have x-smalls to mediums.

At Target, depending on cut/fit, I'm anywhere from an xxs to a medium Or a 0-4.

At the Gap, I have one pair of jeans in a 00, several pairs in a 0 - I never go above a 0 there - I think they are the worst offenders.

I don't really get it, but I try not to get hung up on the numbers. I buy what FITS. If it's too small, I try something larger, if it's too large, I size down. the number is just a number. I know that I like when something shows off all my good parts and doesn't highlight the bad. That's what matters most.
  • skinnymel
    skinnymel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    As others have said, THE GAP wins, hands down! No matter how fat I am, I am always tiny according to their sizing. It's ridiculous!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I had an idea years ago that will make me super rich but I don't have the operating capital.

I'm gonna open a store called SIZE ZERO. All clothes will be size 0 and many items will have visible labels that they are size zero. The clothing will have something like different color tags so you can find YOUR size zero, but there it will be.

I'd be printing money...
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I just got a pair of Old Navy jeans at the thrift store. Between vanity sizing (it says 14) and the lycra in them the jeans were almost falling down on me yesterday. I'm 189. My size 14 Lucky Brand jeans are still quite snug, and my size 14 Gap jeans are a tad snug, but totally wearable (they're both from the thrift store as well). The jeans I still have from 10 years ago are all size 10, and I can tell you I'm NOT 2 sizes away from wearing them. :noway: