How much do you pay for a gym membership?

Options
Just wondering. I've been going to a gym for the past couple days with a free guest pass and want to join, I really like everything about the gym and it's very convenient for me with its hours and location. But it's $40 a month, plus I have 2 kids I need to take with me so it's $20 per kid per month for the Kids Club~$80 a month total!! And to join with all the fees, they charge last month and first month, it would be a total of $160! The cheapskate in me is saying no way in hell, I don't need to sign up for a gym. But realistically I know there's no way I will exercise otherwise, I will always find some excuse, it will be too hot outside or windy or whatever else. And I'm also thinking the money I save on fast food will be enough to pay the gym membership every month!! So..if you have a gym membership...how much do YOU pay? Is it worth your money?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness

$10 a month.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I'm in California and go to Chuze Fitness. $10/month. I don't have children though and they don't have anything for kids there.
  • MzMandi1025
    MzMandi1025 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My husband & I each have a membership at LA Fitness. It's $30 a month for each of us, so there's $60 right there. I have my daughter, niece & nephew enrolled in the kids club program that's $10 per kid, so another $30 a month. Plus, I have my training package. That's another $112. So I'm at almost $200 per month for gym memberships & that doesn't even count the amount of money it cost us to start it all up. For me, it's been worth the money.
  • jens_journey
    jens_journey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    We pay $92.00 a month for a family membership at our local YMCA.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    $30/mo (per person) for LA Fitness, no kids so don't know about the kid club costs, although there is one. I was taking Zumba for $8-$10/class, and I get unlimited classes at LA, so in my mind it pays for itself!
  • Darrell916
    Darrell916 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I pay $129 for me, my wife and 4 daughters at California Family Fitness. The good thing is that when the kids become of age which is 12 it becomes an membership so they can workout instead of going to kids club.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    3month membership is $155plus tax.
    1 month is $55. Plus tax.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I currently work out at home, but there's a gym directly on the 20 minute walk between my house and office that I'm eyeing for the fall/winter (running outside in Canada in February? Some do, but I'm not that tough).

Their rates are $50/month for a month-to-month member, $40 if you sign an annual contract. But they also have a deal right now where you pay a one time $180 fee and then your monthly fee is $25 for the duration of your membership. So if my math is right after 4 months that's a better deal than month to month, it's what I'll go for.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness. I have the Black Membership which is $20/mo, but I can bring a guest any time. So I bring my wife a lot. But my work pays $20/month if I go (8X a month). So it's usually FREE!!
  • Elisac2008
    Elisac2008 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Lucille Roberts $23 a month
    Planet Fitness $10 a month
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    24 Hour Fitness 2 year prepaid membership for $299.

I think it now costs $349 - still a good deal, as you'd pay at least twice that if you just walked in to the gym.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i paid $299 for 2 years to 24 hour fitness good at any of the locations... i bought my membership at costco
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I go to a local gym and it's 48$ a month.
    Classes and Kid's Klub are free with membership (though I don't use either of these services)
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Anytime Fitness
    $40/month
    Not worth it. At all
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    10 bucks a month at planet fitness...love it!
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    Anytime Fitness $83.00
    For myself and 3 sons.

Well worth it.......
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    LA Fitness, $45 a month with guest privileges plus $196 a month for personal training. It's worth it to me!!
  • Ladyzumba
    Ladyzumba Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    $0 I'm an instructor, the best perk...get certified/licensed to teach something you love
    and you get paid to do it...Awesome!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My gym is literally right next door to my office. They have a pool, raquet building (tennis, raquetball, volleyball, etc), plenty of free weights (and machines if you prefer that), and classes are free to members. With a membership special I pay about $30/month. Despite the building and many of the machines being older, I love my gym!
  • Muldactus
    Muldactus Posts: 6,972 Member
    Options
    My GF and I just joined the gym at our local community center. It comes to about $47 a month for a family package. Includes access to an indoor pool as well. It's about 3 blocks from the house, so very convenient.