How much do you pay for a gym membership?

Options

Replies

• andreamkelly
    andreamkelly Posts: 169
    Options
    I think my husband and I pay about $130/month for Lifetime Family Fitness. Really nice club and never have to wait for any of the equipment. Indoor and outdoor pools with water aerobics classes almost every day (but not at times I can go). I think my husband has gone twice since we joined and I go as often as I can. Used to pay for my daughter and grandkids to go and I could drop grandkids off at kids club and workout. I can't afford that right now and I'd also need to pay for my son's family too, since I watch his son also.
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I belong to a local club, not a chain and I get a family membership for $71 per month. That is for a family of 4. I used to go to Curves, but like you I have kids and wanted them to be able to go. They can do their thing while I do mine.
  • kingkong247
    kingkong247 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I pay $35 @ 24 super sport!
  • BriaMc
    BriaMc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    $19 mo which includes free child care :)
  • kristen_lynn
    kristen_lynn Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    my husband and i pay about 90 a month for unlimited clubs/access at 24 hour fitness. they have kid's club for $20 a month for unlimited use or $4 for each time. my son is in daycare full time so he doesn't go to kids club that often but it's worth it for the weekends, he and i will both go "work out." :) i worked out at home for the first 8 months of MFP-ing, found myself struggling with the addition of full-time job. now i go all the time, before work, late at night, whenever i can. it's been absolutely worth every penny. and most of them are month-to-month now so if after a couple months and you don't deem it worth the investment, then you can cancel fairly easily. (not the case for me a few years ago with Bally Fitness, but with the economy, they've relaxed the rules for cancelling due to financial hardships).

my advice -- go for it. your health is worth it. cut corners somewhere else. fitness is worth it.
  • Losingweightforgood2019
    Options
    Live in a small town here and the local gym is only 34 bucks a year....oops it went up two bucks now 36 bucks a year :-)
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I go to a ladies only gym, and I pay annually. I pay about 260 for the year. That includes childcare for the kids. They have a pool, sauna, steam room, hot tub, full weight room, strength machines, and cardio machines.

My gym also has a pay 900 dollars, and renew annually for only 79.00 a year. I think this coming year, I may do that instead of the 260 a year...
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    WOAH!!! US is so cheap. I'm in Aus, I pay $35 a fortnight and that was a special deal, my previous gym was $90 a month.
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I participate in a wellness program thru my insurance company which charges me $25 a month & I get to go to any gym I want to ~ I currently go to Curves and 24 Hour Fitness for no extra charge. The only reason I do both is 24 Hour Fitness has water aerobics. When I signed up a year ago, there were 65 facilities within 15 miles of my house where I could join, and there is no limit to how many gyms I join. I love it!
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    Home= Free! haha. I wasted too much money on Memberships. Gold's Gym, Pure Fitness, Red Mountain Fitness.... I find that I save money by doing my stuff at home. Zumba, Walking, Running, Cleaning. I've been more successful at home then with any membership at a gym. But I do know that Pure Fitness had free daycare as long as you were a member, it was 40/ month.
  • staytonedla
    Options
    I'm in California and go to 24 Hour Fitness and pay $60 a month for my SuperSport club level, when you join you get 1 free training session.
  • SFbarmaid
    SFbarmaid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i paid $299 for 2 years to 24 hour fitness good at any of the locations... i bought my membership at costco

This.
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    $77 per month. It's a bit steep but I really like it and it's right next door to my office, which I love.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I live in the middle of nowhere. We have one single option for a gym, and it's $40 per person, or $55 for a couple. Worth it? Sometimes.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    $10/m, Charter Fitness FTW. LA Fitness can die a slow painful death.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I pay just over $65 a month for a family membership at our local YMCA. It's an old building, and isn't the most up to date newest equipment, but to me it's worth every penny. I"ve been going long enough that most of the employees know me, ask how I'm doing, and now they are all noticing that I'm dropping the weight. (Thankfully they never commented in the past when I would gain it back! I will NOT be gaining this back!!!)
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    $29/mo AIM fitness in Grand Rapids Mi..includes a pool, largest rock wall in West Mi, cardio classes, and everything else.
  • MrsSexton2013
    MrsSexton2013 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    21.49 for YouFit. But no classes or child care.. it's a no-frills. Worth every penny, for unlimited guests, so my fiance and I both go for that 21 bucks.
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I am lucky. My company has a gym with locker rooms and showers, so I do not have to pay for using it. It is also great, because it is open 24/7 365 With the card swipe.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm in Chicago and am a member of 2 gyms:
    Charter Fitness (by my house): $10/month
    Quads: (on my way home from work): $50/month. I initially got a 3 month membership because they had a special for new members. There's no contract, you can pay daily, monthly, etc and the more months you buy the cheaper it is. For a year it's $600 (which equals $50/month), so I think I'm going to do that when my 3 months is up. It's a way better gym than Charter.