How much do you pay for a gym membership?

Options

Replies

• aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    24 Hour Fitness 2 year prepaid membership for $299.

I think it now costs $349 - still a good deal, as you'd pay at least twice that if you just walked in to the gym.

Do they do this all the time, or is it just a special right now?
    We have one in town and Ive been thinking of joining to get some help.
  • peacheznlace
    peacheznlace Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Currently, free-99 ;-) I have a gym at the office as well as a home gym. Before this I used to go to a local gym that was $15/mo. It had everything I needed sans all those group classes (i.e. Zumba, Body Pump, Yoga, etc.). That gym did have one class though, a crossfit-type class. They couldn't officially call it Crossfit but it was essentially that.
  • BeyondThePixels
    BeyondThePixels Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Freedom Fitness
    $10 a month + ($35 a year membership)

No classes, very clean. But as it became more popular machines are not working properly! :(
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    $25 a month and daycare is free for the first two hours and $1 after. And $1 an hr on the weekends. It doesn't have the newest equipment, but it gets the job done!
  • turbophoenix
    turbophoenix Posts: 152
    Options
    I was paying $42.51 a month for an Anytime Fitness membership but my contract ended this month and I was really unhappy there so I left. I checked out another local gym and their "deal" rate was $49ish with an enrollment fee or about $41 if you pay for a year all up front. They didn't have all the amenities I wanted and the staff was rude...

There aren't much choices around where I live and all of them seem to be at least $40-$50 bucks. The premium club in town is like $96 a month. :/
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I need to move to the US! Mine is just over $100/month. That's just for me, a single membership and no childcare or perks... Australia is an expensive place to live :ohwell:
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have two gym memberships.

One is for Fitness First. I paid $50 to join, it cost me $25 a month and I have a one year minimum commitment. They have a TON of cardio and weight classes, plus child care. The hours are 5am until either 10/11pm and the weekend is a little shorter. The drive is about ten minutes from me. Personal training is extremely expensive. It's a little over $100 a month, and that is for three 30 minute training.They have a point system that you receive points for referring people, for each purchase and for just going to work out. You can trade in your points for merchandise (Club wear, HRM, etc) or free months of membership. Also upon sign up, I received a punch card for child care. It was worth 25 "punches" and each punch is one hour.

I also have a membership to Planet Fitness. This gym had NO sign up, I pay a flat $10 a month, and I have NO commitment. They do not offer child care, nor do they have classes. They do offer personal training for free. It is not one on one, a trainer may have a small group (never more than five) and there are 5-10 slots per day. This gym is only five minutes from my house, and three minutes from my work, so it's slightly more convenient.

The staff at Planet Fitness is much more laid back than the staff at Fitness First. At Fitness First, I emailed a personal trainer a question about macros regarding when I do certain work outs (I was asking what my ratio should be on days I do 60 minutes of cardio versus days I do 30 minutes, plus 30 minutes+ of weights) he replied telling me that he had to be careful not to give paid services out for free, but I was welcome to email him questions. Because this was via email, I asked if it was alright that I asked him his advice for that question, or if I had to pay for advice, and he never replied. (It's been two months) The only reason I am still at Fitness First is because I had enough points for six months of free membership, so I am letting that run it's course and than cancel after my one year.
  • athminbri
    athminbri Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Where I live there are about 10 gyms/clubs within a 15 minute drive. I joined the closest (and cheapest) one first, but never went. They didn't have all the equipment or activities that I enjoy. So, I canceled that one and joined the one that had much more. I pay about $80 a month. That is for both my husband, my daughter, and me. My daughter's membership is only $7 a month. It is more expensive than the other gyms in the area, but it is worth it in my opinion. They have over 40 aerobics classes a week, many personal trainers, swim lessons for my daughter, daycare, indoor and outdoor pool, parties, workshops, guest speakers, massage, driving range for golfers, and more. They even have an herb garden that you can take fresh herbs home to use in your cooking! I also never have a problem finding an available machine. They have great variety, are friendly, are clean, and well maintained. I absolutely love it there.

The most important thing is finding a club that you will use. $40 may sound like a bargain to some, but if you never go there, it is a waste of money.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    My husband & I each have a membership at LA Fitness. It's $30 a month for each of us, so there's $60 right there. I have my daughter, niece & nephew enrolled in the kids club program that's $10 per kid, so another $30 a month. Plus, I have my training package. That's another $112. So I'm at almost $200 per month for gym memberships & that doesn't even count the amount of money it cost us to start it all up. For me, it's been worth the money.

why not just buy some equipment? it'd be sooo much cheaper! Just a thought :)
  • princessshy
    Options
    I go to the YMCA in Delaware the membership is $68.00 a month but they have a open door program so I pay $15.00 a month for me and my 3 kids we go swimming, they get to do classes its really great
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Mine is $54.95 a month. Both hubby & I, plus $10 of that is for the child care. Oh and it includes tanning.

Although lately my kids won't calm down enough for me to use that service...ahh well. I haven't been very diligent about going lately, either. I have so much other stuff going on. :( I used to go at night (it is 24 hr) but hubby switched to 3rd shift...so that's a no go now.

Honestly I like Zumba classes better and I think when my contract is up I will not be renewing.

We checked out Planet Fitness, but it is on the other side of town. I think I should have done a trial there to get the free trainer part. LOL
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm wacky and I have two memberships. One for each location - one near my house and one near my work and other activities.
    24 hour fitness - $20/month. I've been with them forever and I have an all area pass. it was part of a deal and I pray I never lose it!
    my local gym is $39/month. VERY worth it. It's usually free of to many people, everyone is really focused on the workout and there is a lot of space to do interesting exercises that I have NO room for at 24 when it's really busy. I go as often as I can, and try to hit some classes here and there. I think if you go a lot, you like to go and you feel comfortable - the money spent is good. I use to spend $49/month on a very nice all ladies gym but I had to leave it when I moved. They had a sauna, sun room, spa-like locker area, great classes...I loved it.
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    $28 per month YMCA includes classes, and all the amenities: heated pool, suana, ellipitals, treadmills, rpm classes, zumba, water zumba, pilates, yoga, inside track, regular zumba, water aerobics, weights, and much much more.

I also have a membership to Curves but thinking about dropping that because the YMCA offers so much more.
  • paperstars
    paperstars Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    We have a family membership for the YMCA. That's $49 for me and my husband, and our kids to childwatch, plus we can swim and get discounts on kids' sports. It's worth it just for the childcare alone for us.
  • reallyally1
    Options
    I pay $20 a month at a 24 hour gym that's four blocks from my house. It's an okay gym (no classes, showers/locker room, etc.) but I don't have a car so it works fine for me. As long as they have treadmills, ellipticals, free weights, and A/C, I'm good. :)
  • AllisonB145
    AllisonB145 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My husband and I each pay $45 / month at Xanadu Health Club, great equipment, sauna, steam room, state of the art facility. Well worth the $$
  • karip0303
    karip0303 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do a trade I teach preschool during the school year twice a week and they give my family free memberships and free preschool. But if I had to pay for the 5 of us it would be 110 a mo and I would pay it., because it includes lots of classes and has great amenities. If it was just the workout equipment without the classes I wouldn't do it.
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Mine is $24.95/m at Snap Fitness with no contract. Well worth it.:happy:
  • munkey418
    munkey418 Posts: 139
    Options
    Anytime Fitness and i pay $20 but in fairness Ive cheated lol (its my friends pass and she has a student discount but doesnt use it and gave it to me instead)
  • JHamp1983
    JHamp1983 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I pay $23 a month for 24 hour fitness but I don't have kids and my job pays for the rest of the bill.