What's wrong with Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I used to work there, I have a membership there, you can do deadlifts and squats. You just can't throw your weights on the ground or they will ask you not to do it.

Honestly, it's a pretty great place. If you are a hardcore weight lifter it isn't the best fit because they have smith machines and don't have an Olympic bar, otherwise it is just fine.

All a matter of preference really.

how do you deadlift without an olympic bar..????

you put the cable handles all the way to the floor, slap that pin right into the 30# slot, and KILL IT!

BEASTMODEENGAGED!
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    While I never belonged to PF, I didn't mind it, my deal breaker with them was no classes, and no pool. Of course, I'm in Vegas where you have a ton of gyms to choose from and went with another gym (LVAC) where I can go to any of their 6 locations, all of which have a pool. And there are those in Vegas area that hate that gym for various reasons. I agree, find out if you can get a trial membership, go and see if you like it, love it or completely hate it.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is great if you want treadmills, elipticals, weight machines, and the use of a tanning bed and massage chair (tanning bed and massage chair come with blackcard membership $20/month), and I also love their 30-minute circuit room.. it has weight machines and steps in the middle so you get a pretty good workout in 30 minutes.

I have a membership there and also at my employer's gym which has stuff PF doesnt, like a pool and raquetball courts.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    none of the negatives that would apply to me likely do for you.

I "need" dumbells up to 130's to allow for progression, I "need" a squat rack with at least 500 lbs, I "need" a place to do deadlifts, I "need" certain pieces of equipment for specific accessory exercises, and I also, for the love of pete, "need" to effing grunt when I lift something REALLY heavy when I'm pushing thru that rep when I HAVE to give everything I got.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I think they play on a stereotype and in doing so perpetuate it. It's unfortunate. I see the 'lunks' in the gym cooperating and helping noobs way more than the cardio-bunnies who may as well be wearing blinkers. When people are intimidated, the problem lies with them, not with the people by whom they are intimidated.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know we had them here until I just googled but this thread makes me curious to tour a facility. I do think their commercials are pretty funny. No classes would be a deal breaker for me though. Their monthly rates seem low but not a fan of the annual membership fee I see on their website.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    A judgement free zone!

Unless you're making a noise, too 'intimidating' or wanting to perform 'intimidating' exercises.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I think they play on a stereotype and in doing so perpetuate it. It's unfortunate. I see the 'lunks' in the gym cooperating and helping noobs way more than the cardio-bunnies who may as well be wearing blinkers. When people are intimidated, the problem lies with them, not with the people by whom they are intimidated.

Cardio bunnies like these, maybe?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQfmpXsLV_4
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    The one thats about 10-15 mins away from me is always busy whenever I see it but I live on Long Island so for 10 bucks a month it seems like alot of ppl take advantage of it to save that extra money
  • seepersaud
    seepersaud Posts: 5,759 Member
    Options
    I have been going to Planet Fitness for almost two years now, and have no issues with it. I prefer to run or bike outdoors, and use Planet Fitness when the weather isn't conducive to either one of those activities, or if I want a change of pace.

For $10/month, the value is hard to beat. A pool would be great for lap swimming. However, the membership dues - based on what other gyms in this area charge - would be at least three times higher if PF had a pool. They aren't cheap to maintain and guess whom the costs would be passed onto.

As others have said, the place isn't right for everyone. If you're into cardio and lighter lifting (me), then you'll be happy there. If you want heavier lifting, then you'll be sorely disappointed.

I have never been there for a pizza night or bagel morning. I never seem to remember when they are, and it's not all that important to me anyway. If I had a pizza or bagel at PF, I'd eat less at home to offset it. Bagels aren't as horrible as some people make them out to be. It's a neutral stimulus like many other things; it's all in what you do with it or the meaning you attach to it. If you're at PF on bagel morning and don't want one, don't eat one.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I love ours. And we have plenty of free weights, etc. and have many body building bulky folks who are there every time I am.

Ours is pretty relaxed on their rules compared to the complaints I have read on other locations. It just depends on how that owner chooses to run theirs.

I do weights and cardio and it works great for me.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I love ours. And we have plenty of free weights, etc. and have many body building bulky folks who are there every time I am.

Ours is pretty relaxed on their rules compared to the complaints I have read on other locations. It just depends on how that owner chooses to run theirs.

From what I understand the "corporate policy" is more of a guideline that the franchise owner can choose whether or not they want to adhere to. That being said, official PF corporate policy does prohibit the type of workouts/exercises that necessitate use of a squat rack, which is why many locations don't even have one.

IMO most chain gyms are all the same, just PF is worse about them in most regards.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

From what I understand the "corporate policy" is more of a guideline that the franchise owner can choose whether or not they want to adhere to. That being said, official PF corporate policy does prohibit the type of workouts/exercises that necessitate use of a squat rack, which is why many locations don't even have one.

IMO most chain gyms are all the same, just PF is worse about them in most regards.

I disagree. Sure, all chain gyms likely have something that you could complain about, but that doesn't make them all equal. Heck, even all gyms within a certain franchise or chain aren't equal.

I have an Anytime Fitness membership, and while it's far from perfect, I have good access to a set of free weights (the one by my office even purchased a separate rack for those who want to bench/curl/whatever and an extra olympic bar for deadlifts, so that there is a dedicated squat rack). I can wear sleeveless clothing, which is really important to me, and while I don't every purposefully sling or drop weights, I'm free to challenge myself knowing that if I get into a safety situation where I HAVE to ditch the weight I'm lifting, I don't have to worry about being publicly humiliated for it.

I'm sure Planet Fitness is fine for a lot of people, but I agree that their entire schtick of Judgement Free is BS, since the entire marketing campaign judges heavy lifters and attractive people.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I would not say anything is "wrong" with it. It really depends on your goals. It does not work for me because I prefer to use an Olympic Bar and plates instead of Smith Machines and DBs. I also occasionally drop weights during deadlifts, etc. For others it may be a great fit! Here are some pros and cons:

pros:

cheap monthly price
    lots of elliptical machines and treadmills
    fairly new and well maintained equipment
    many locations
    free bagels and pizza (monthly) and tootsie rolls (daily)
    tanning is available depending on your membership type

cons:

"judgement free zone" does not apply to those who drop weights or make grunting sounds
    Smith Machines, and DBs instead of Olympic Bars and plates.
    Olympic lifts such as the snatch and the clean and jerk cannot be performed.
    no pool, track or racquetball court
    no group fitness classes (pilates, yoga, spin, etc)
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I once set off the lunk alarm when I dropped my cell phone while on the treadmill.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I once set off the lunk alarm when I dropped my cell phone while on the treadmill.

Next time have someone record that and put it on YouTube. It might be funny!

In all seriousness it is a good gym for some and not for others. Clearly they have a target market in mind and don't plan on catering to everyone.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options

Next time have someone record that and put it on YouTube. It might be funny!

In all seriousness it is a good gym for some and not for others. Clearly they have a target market in mind and don't plan on catering to everyone.
    I would if I still went there. But I don't cause it's not for me. It's great for those who only want machines though.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

I was running on the treadmill. Brady threw an interception and I let a CLUSTER F-BOMB fly. The only time I've ever seen the lunk alarm go off at my particular PF.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

I was running on the treadmill. Brady threw an interception and I let a CLUSTER F-BOMB fly. The only time I've ever seen the lunk alarm go off at my particular PF.

The lunk alarm at mine would typically go off 2-3x over the course of the hour and a half I was there, without fail. I only ever set it off once myself, when I attempted to do squats on the Smith machine and a staff member told me that was prohibidabido.
  • medgirl50
    Options
    Absolutely nothing.....it is a very nice , clean and a peaceful gym. They have everything you would want except a walking track. A plus for me is the fact that a trainer is available and you get to design the workout that you are comfortable with.