What's wrong with Planet Fitness?

Options
I have a Planet Fitness coming near me, but I've heard a lot of negative reviews on this gym.
What's bad about Planet Fitness?

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I have a Planet Fitness coming near me, but I've heard a lot of negative reviews on this gym.
    What's bad about Planet Fitness?

I don't go to one but I've read from several folks that they have limited to no free weights and they don't allow deadlifting or olympic style lifts.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    There is nothing "wrong" with Planet Fitness. Some people just don't like it.

I joined the PF that opened near my home back in January, same time as I started here and working out there as helped me to lose 60 pounds since January 1, 2012.

I like it much more than the 24hr Fitness in town which is the kind of gym some folk here seem to prefer. Dumbbells go up to 75 lbs which is fine for me, the Smith machines are great for me since I am in there before 5am and don't have a spotter when I am doing bench presses and what not and I appreciate the fact that they don't allow the gangsta crap I had to put up with at 24hr Fitness.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

I joined the PF that opened near my home back in January, same time as I started here and working out there as helped me to lose 60 pounds since January 1, 2012.

I like it much more than the 24hr Fitness in town which is the kind of gym some folk here seem to prefer. Dumbbells go up to 75 lbs which is fine for me, the Smith machines are great for me since I am in there before 5am and don't have a spotter when I am doing bench presses and what not and I appreciate the fact that they don't allow the gangsta crap I had to put up with at 24hr Fitness.

@OP: You'll find people that love it and people that hate it. The best thing you can do it see if you can get a trial-membership and use the hell out of that membership to see if you do like it or not. :)
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options

@OP: You'll find people that love it and people that hate it. The best thing you can do it see if you can get a trial-membership and use the hell out of that membership to see if you do like it or not. :)

Yup
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    For ten bucks a month, you cant beat it.

The service and atmosphere vary based on location, but mine has free weights up to 75lb dumbbells, and I have never had to wait for a weight bench.

So, in my opinion there is nothing wrong with them :-)
  • Pgarcia413
    Pgarcia413 Posts: 28
    Options
    Daily show did a skit on it. No lunks allowed.

http://blog.pjpride.com/2011/09/daily-show-and-planet-fitness.html
  • calamitydown
    calamitydown Posts: 101
    Options
    i went there for years and never had a single problem. i actually loved how sanitary all their machines were and how great of an atmosphere it had! if i had the money i would definitely get a membership there again.
  • KatiD83
    KatiD83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I got a few passes to the one in my area, and my only complaint was the machines they had were not meant to handle morbidly obese individuals. I started at 433 lbs and had problems getting the treadmills to work correctly. My friend soon discovered the label rating it to no more than 300 lbs. I ended up buying a treadmill to handle my weight.
  • dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    Options
    I have belonged to one for 4 months now. No complaints. For 10 bucks a month, you literally cant beat it.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    It seems like people either love or hate Planet Fitness-I'm one of the people who love it. But like others have said, it depends on the location. Mine is nice and quiet when I go in the mornings and since I don't do much for weights, I don't mind that they don't go over 75 lbs. There are some gyms around here that my friends love but I don't like at all. I do love the fact that Planet Fitness is 24 hours a day cause I like to work out alone and when no one else is really there.
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    A lot of the complaints stem from their weight-lifting policies (already stated above), the "Lunk Alarm" (which goes off after anyone drops weights if the staff care), stuff like that. I've been going for about 2 months now and I love it. My location is wonderful, I've been to another location that wasn't quite as good, but I was probably a bit biased.

I take advantage of the (free) trainer they have on staff. He I've had 2 program designs so far and am going in next week for another redesign. The trainer's knowledge, attentiveness, and encouragement are helping me get into the best shape of my life...and I can now do tricep pushups, which I could never do before :P
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    No grunting and they don't like bodybuilders. I wish it was my gym. Mine is just the opposite (rhymes with Mold's Tim) but it's convenient.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it, I love mine! Free weights and a scale and super clean every day. I think different sites vary due to different franchise owners but I'm really happy with mine, esp at only $10 a month!
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Planet Fitness! I've checked out at least ten gyms in my area and it's the only one that seemed to be great quality at a good price. I've had my membership for a year and a half and have no intentions of cancelling it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be the one person who doesn't love it or hate it. I was a member for a year and a half, but I outgrew it. I can't stand running on a treadmill, and I hate dragging my *kitten* to the gym to JUST lift weights, so I'm better off running outside and lifting at home.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I'm getting into "heavy lifting" so it doesn't work for me. I'll pay $15 more for access to classes pool and a greater variety of weights. Picking the right gym is a combination of your goals, what you expect from them, and how much you are willing to pay. I have MANY gyms in my area so I tried a few before picking. In the end...I really wanted the pool :)
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    i just started going there.. 10 a month.. cant beat it.. its clean, friendly and has alot of weights.. over 75 pds i belive.. but dont quote me on that. also free pizza on the first monday of the month.. which normall i would say who cares.. but i happen to be there on that night and needed something to eat as i ran out the door for my zumba class.. yummy.. :)

my only complaint is that i dont feel there staff is very knowlegable. even the "trainer"..
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    The only thing I don't like is the people, but I can't change that. lol.
  • breckrose
    breckrose Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    PF is a great value if you like to workout in a gym, very clean and nice machines.
  • ezBrizy
    ezBrizy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It's fine if you're just looking to go for a basic workout and they have some nice circuits. There's plenty of machines and it's usually very clean. They don't offer much for the intensely fit, some people find that it's limited once they've passed a certain point. You can get a $10 month-to-month membership and quit anytime w/ no penalty