What's wrong with Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I have a Planet Fitness coming near me, but I've heard a lot of negative reviews on this gym.
    What's bad about Planet Fitness?

I have several friends that are members and love it. If your goal is to use fancy cardio equipment for a reasonable price, then it's great!

^^ This really sums it up. It's about slimming down, but not getting "fit" per se.
    methinks you may have some wrong assumptions.

:flowerforyou:
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it depends on what you're looking for.

Is it a true gym? Absolutely not, IMO. It's a place for people to do low weight workouts with an emphasis on cardio. In my experience, the cardio machines DRASTICALLY out number the free weights/machines/iso machines.

They have a dress code. They yell at you for making noise while lifting, and for dropping weights. But -- in their defense, if you're grunting while lifting 50# or less &/or have to drop 50# or less... you really should be using lower weights.

My idea of a gym? Loud music, chalk, free weights, and zero fks given. Does it work for everyone? Definitely not, but it's all about what makes you comfortable. If you take a tour & dig the place.... why not join? You'll get some flack for it on here, but if it works for YOU, that's the important thing.
    what?

LOL.

The one by me has a written policy that NO weights over 50# are supplied. No hoodies/sweat shirts/hats are allowed on the gym floor, either.
  • Number_44
    Number_44 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have a Planet Fitness coming near me, but I've heard a lot of negative reviews on this gym.

The one location by me has no free weights. All machines.

Might as well buy a bowflex
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Is it a true gym? Absolutely not, IMO. It's a place for people to do low weight workouts with an emphasis on cardio. In my experience, the cardio machines DRASTICALLY out number the free weights/machines/iso machines.

They have a dress code. They yell at you for making noise while lifting, and for dropping weights. But -- in their defense, if you're grunting while lifting 50# or less &/or have to drop 50# or less... you really should be using lower weights.

My idea of a gym? Loud music, chalk, free weights, and zero fks given. Does it work for everyone? Definitely not, but it's all about what makes you comfortable. If you take a tour & dig the place.... why not join? You'll get some flack for it on here, but if it works for YOU, that's the important thing.
    what?

LOL.

The one by me has a written policy that NO weights over 50# are supplied. No hoodies/sweat shirts/hats are allowed on the gym floor, either.

I'm out.
  • Cranquistador
    Options

what?

LOL.

The one by me has a written policy that NO weights of 50# are supplied. No hoodies/sweat shirts/hats are allowed on the gym floor.
    really? that bites.

mine has plenty of free weights. I must admit I wish there were more squat racks.

but i assure you that I lift more than 50 pounds.:smile:
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options

I guess it really depends on what you are into. They have a crap TON of cardio equipment from the ones I have seen. If that is your thing that you will really like it. If you are into strength training you will be highly disappointed. I have never seen / heard one with a power rack. For the person how is on a tight budget, or can not have access to other facilities it is def better then nothing... there is a decent selection of dumbbells for some free weight training. In short great place for the cardio bunny, not so great for the strength trainer.
  • arghbowl
    Options

what?

LOL.

The one by me has a written policy that NO weights of 50# are supplied. No hoodies/sweat shirts/hats are allowed on the gym floor.
    really? that bites.

mine has plenty of free weights. I must admit I wish there were more squat racks.

Haha, ours didn't even HAVE a squat rack. It had one smith machine which was reserved for "bench press only."

They placed this PF right next to a student housing complex so I think they were REALLY trying to cut down on the "roider" atmosphere, but I think they over did it in this case!! :tongue:
  • MissSarahAllison315
    Options
    I liked it! I went there for over a year (Before moving where there wasn't one close enough) and I never had any problem finding a machine to use, a bench to utilize, or anything!

Some people don't like it because they WILL use that lunk alarm if you're raging around the weight area, snorting, guzzling water, and roaring when you lift your huge weights. No one needs that. It's distracting! My roommate actually got kicked out :laugh: But he has no hard feelings!

Go for it :smile:
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I love the PF near me. It has a ton of free weights and cardio equipment (treadmills, arc trainers, elipticals). Trainers are friendly and helpful. No issues at all!

I'm not into heavy lifting, so I don't know the max amount of free weights that they have, but it totally works for me.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I liked it! I went there for over a year (Before moving where there wasn't one close enough) and I never had any problem finding a machine to use, a bench to utilize, or anything!

Some people don't like it because they WILL use that lunk alarm if you're raging around the weight area, snorting, guzzling water, and roaring when you lift your huge weights. No one needs that. It's distracting! My roommate actually got kicked out :laugh: But he has no hard feelings!

:huh:
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Olympic style lifts: I have never been to a gym where I have seen anyone doing this.

Saturday I did deadlifts, power cleans (my form sucks too bad for full clean and press), overhead press, pendlay rows, bench press and full squats at my local YMCA, all with an Olympic bar. There were several other people doing similar free bar exercises at the same time.

The gym on the Navy base I used to go to had a huge set of half racks with bumper plates, etc. It was set up for full crossfit, but plenty of people were doing plain old Olympic lifts.

Most of the "box gyms" you'll come across are going to have Olympic lifts included in the crossfit stuff. An Olympic bar is standard.

I think you've just been going to different gyms.
  • arghbowl
    Options

:huh:

Yeah, no one needs water when they workout.
  • Cranquistador
    Options

what?

LOL.

really? that bites.

Haha, ours didn't even HAVE a squat rack. It had one smith machine which was reserved for "bench press only."

They placed this PF right next to a student housing complex so I think they were REALLY trying to cut down on the "roider" atmosphere, but I think they over did it in this case!! :tongue:
    WOW...i guess I lucked out with mine. Dont get me wrong, I would switch gyms to something better, but right now I cant...but I DO know that I am gaining strength and now am even more thankful that mine isnt like the one you went to.

4701b94e-b218-4760-b13a-efb5b2106e6d_zps2594ea5b.jpg
    bench1_zpsa1d6504e.jpg
    video if you are interested...that is 85 pounds...but I can do 3x115 now...
    http://s1048.photobucket.com/user/Jules2Be/media/Video/VID_20130609_100209_485_zps65baf3ae.mp4.html

and
    not too heavy but I have to be careful of my back...3 herniated discs...i do what I can for an ole lady.
    http---makeagifcom--media-10-16-2013-JlGdZ1_zps9b9436df.gif
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    any gym that does not allow deadlifting is a NO in my book...

I also hear that they put out pizza, bagels, and all kinds of crap for people to eat...talk about trying to sabotage someone..!
    The only person who can sabatage you is you...they don't force you to eat the stuff.

Ok - but why brand yourself as a "gym" and then offer a bunch of crap for people to eat? seems counter productive to me...that would be like going to AA and they have an open bar set up ...
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    crap, that is a huge gif.
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    any gym that does not allow deadlifting is a NO in my book...

I also hear that they put out pizza, bagels, and all kinds of crap for people to eat...talk about trying to sabotage someone..!
    The only person who can sabatage you is you...they don't force you to eat the stuff.

Ok - but why brand yourself as a "gym" and then offer a bunch of crap for people to eat? seems counter productive to me...that would be like going to AA and they have an open bar set up ...
    OH COME ON.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options

I've seen videos. Can confirm. She lifts MUCH more than 50 lbs.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

stereotype much...so all lifters are bunch of snorting, water guzzling, roaring, buffoons??? LOL OK
  • Cranquistador
    Options

I've seen videos. Can confirm. She lifts MUCH more than 50 lbs.
    :flowerforyou:
  • iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    whats right with planet fitness??

lol no.. total joke. i work out there because its cheaper and they have heavier weights than i do at home and thats all I need really. I say..check it out for yourself and decide..don't let **** talking steer you one way or another.