What's wrong with Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    They made it a policy of no squats. That's insane. I mean even foofy fitness mags recommend squats. But I guess this is there way of eliminating a certain segment of the fitness population.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is one of the "recognized" gyms on my health insurance plan. My monthly fees are reimbursed to me with proof of attendance. My only out-of-pocket expense is the yearly contract renewal fee.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    They claim "judgement free zone" yet judge (i.e., prohibit) anybody who wants to do legitimate powerlifting. At $10/month, it's an easy choice for someone who wants to use machines, but not for somebody who is interested in real weight lifting.

They dont judge powerlifting, they are just trying to keep the heavy lifters out of the gym, its a marketing tactic, its called market selection. They are focused on average people that are looking for an average workout.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I may have to join just for the red light beds. Wish it was closer to home.
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    “Average people looking for an average workout” is an accurate way to describe PF. I have one nearby which I frequent and for $10 a month it is a great deal (no contract is a better deal). I have never had a problem find an elliptical or treadmill, which is a rare option in my gym experience, and it is generally clean and well maintained.

I cannot speak about weights or machines as I am waiting to get my BMI < 35 to take my workout to that level, but for a generally convenient experience I would recommend them any day of the week.
  • jaypb
    jaypb Posts: 1
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the info. "Lunk" alarm? At a gym? Seriously? I'd love to see that added to Schwarzenneger's "Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding". RIGHT! How ridiculous....
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have a Planet Fitness coming near me, but I've heard a lot of negative reviews on this gym.
    What's bad about Planet Fitness?

I have several friends that are members and love it. If your goal is to use fancy cardio equipment for a reasonable price, then it's great!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

3. You have the willpower to resist the treat temptations (free pizza one night a week to all gym members, and all the candy you can eat 24/7).

All the candy you can eat? My brother never mentioned this one to me! Where has this gym been all my life? Does that include nuts covered in dark chocolate?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    4. You can get through your workout without grunting (along with dropping the weights, it is a violation of their policy and will have you publicly humiliated via an air raid siren-style alarm they sound whenever someone breaks the rules. They call it the lunk alarm, and on top of the public humiliation, they eject you if you do it again).

I've read about this, never, ever, ever, ever seen it.
    Now you have.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXP6WaVTJpM&amp;feature=related

That's actually kinda funny! it looks like the guy thought so too.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    In an effort to be "honest" and "unbiased" they have a pizza night one night/month, as well as a bagel morning once/month. and "all the candy" is a bowl of tootsie rolls at the front desk. personally i like to calculate a bagel or a piece of pizza into my diet once in awhile; it's not a big deal to me. I've lost 32lb so far, 25 or so on the machines at Planet Fitness. ...

I asked about the tootsie rolls at the front desk... Their explination was that they cater to a lot of overweight customers, many of which are diabetic. They keep the tootsie rolls there as a way to assist ppl that need a quick sugar spike... Don't know how legit that was, but thats the answer given...

That actually makes a LOT more sense than the wild claim of "all the candy you can eat." It's true that a couple of Tootsie Rolls are just what the doctor ordered for a diabetic whose blood sugar is plummeting.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of Pizza night. Not because I think pizza is bad (in fact I love pizza and will have a couple of slices as part of a meal, and not in addition to a meal), but because people come out of the woodwork for the pizza, people you don't see there the rest of the month, and it's too crowded.

I enjoy have a dry, lit place to run when I need it and I do hit the machines a couple of times a week. Mostly I run outside whenever I am able but for the low low price having a place to fall back to is key, just not the first monday night of the month....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    any gym that does not allow deadlifting is a NO in my book...

I also hear that they put out pizza, bagels, and all kinds of crap for people to eat...talk about trying to sabotage someone..!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    any gym that does not allow deadlifting is a NO in my book...

I also hear that they put out pizza, bagels, and all kinds of crap for people to eat...talk about trying to sabotage someone..!
    The only person who can sabatage you is you...they don't force you to eat the stuff.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    for a gym that claims to be nonjudgemental they sure do judge a lot of folks.

at first i was excited one was opening near me. then i started looking into it. the lunk alarm is true. they do not want serious people there who are in shape and wanting to get bigger. I went to the sign up just to see what it was like and actually heard the guy tell and older couple we do want people who take this too seriously. my guess is they are looking for stay at home types who instead of using the mall as their track can feel like they are doing something.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    It's purple. I like purple dress shirts, not equipment. That and their no squats and deads rules. That said, I do have a friend that deads and squats at one so its a matter of which one you go to. Find what works for you
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it depends on what you're looking for.

Is it a true gym? Absolutely not, IMO. It's a place for people to do low weight workouts with an emphasis on cardio. In my experience, the cardio machines DRASTICALLY out number the free weights/machines/iso machines.

They have a dress code. They yell at you for making noise while lifting, and for dropping weights. But -- in their defense, if you're grunting while lifting 50# or less &/or have to drop 50# or less... you really should be using lower weights.

My idea of a gym? Loud music, chalk, free weights, and zero fks given. Does it work for everyone? Definitely not, but it's all about what makes you comfortable. If you take a tour & dig the place.... why not join? You'll get some flack for it on here, but if it works for YOU, that's the important thing.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    It's purple. I like purple dress shirts, not equipment. That and their no squats and deads rules. That said, I do have a friend that deads and squats at one so its a matter of which one you go to. Find what works for you
    you talkin bout me?:heart:
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I have a Planet Fitness coming near me, but I've heard a lot of negative reviews on this gym.
    What's bad about Planet Fitness?

I have several friends that are members and love it. If your goal is to use fancy cardio equipment for a reasonable price, then it's great!

^^ This really sums it up. It's about slimming down, but not getting "fit" per se.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it depends on what you're looking for.

Is it a true gym? Absolutely not, IMO. It's a place for people to do low weight workouts with an emphasis on cardio. In my experience, the cardio machines DRASTICALLY out number the free weights/machines/iso machines.

They have a dress code. They yell at you for making noise while lifting, and for dropping weights. But -- in their defense, if you're grunting while lifting 50# or less &/or have to drop 50# or less... you really should be using lower weights.

My idea of a gym? Loud music, chalk, free weights, and zero fks given. Does it work for everyone? Definitely not, but it's all about what makes you comfortable. If you take a tour & dig the place.... why not join? You'll get some flack for it on here, but if it works for YOU, that's the important thing.
    what?

LOL.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    you talkin bout me?:heart:

Hummmmmm . . . could be . . . :blushing: