What's wrong with Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The tootsie rolls they have at ours are so tiny - smaller than Jolly Ranchers, about the width of a drinking straw, etc.

They explained it to us that they don't want to fat-shame or encourage people to be extreme and that they've never seen anyone "pig out."
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I once dropped my cell phone and set off the "Lunk Alarm". I use free weights so I moved onto another gym. I still have my PF membership though cause it's $10/mo and it's open 24 hours if I need it. My regular gym is not.
  • wechoosenow
    Options
    I couldn't agree more! Love my PF in Renton, WA. Friendly staff, good equipment, and I (who is far from a gym rat) feels very comfortable there. I started Weight Watchers 2/8/2011. I started PF in July of 2011. I have steadily weeded out all refined sugars and processed foods from my diet. 1 1/2 years later I am now 182 lbs thinner and still going! My PF has been very supportive throughout that time. My story is at: http://wechoosenow.com if anybody wants to know more.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I used to work out at a Planet Fitness and I loved it, I would have kept the membership if there were one closer to where I live now. Everything was clean, like previously stated, I very rarely had to wait on a bench even during peak hours.. and there were vast amounts of equipment in general. Dumbbells went to 75 (which unfortunately now would exclude a couple of my exercises, but even so, 75 is beyond plenty for most people).

The no-lunk thing was something I really liked too. That is definitely NOT the policy at the Gold's where I currently work out, haha.. over there it's pretty much "lift... drop" rather than "lift... lower."
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    One of the main employees at the PF I go to has my membership # memorized, so I don't even have to tell him anymore. He just waves me through :smile:

About half the times I go, I will have a tootsie roll before my workout, but will ignore the pizza and bagels.

Also, at my PF, the lunk alarm never goes off the first time you drop weights. It is only if you do it at least three times, that I have seen.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The Planet Fitness I used to be a member of had no free weights of any kind except for a rack of dumbbells that went up to 60 lbs on the wall to the right of the entrance. Beyond that, the ONLY resistance training equipment they had were Nautilus machines that only allow you to perform isolation exercises and a single Smith machine.

Pizza night was EVERY Tuesday, not once a month.

The lunk alarm would sound 3-4 times in the 45 minutes to an hour I was there and I wasn't quite sure why because I seldom heard people dropping weights and never heard grunting.

The only positive thing that EVER came from working out at Planet Fitness was that using the circuit training center 3x a week for a few months straight allowed me to achieve visible results.

Also their leg press machine maxed out at 290 lbs. I warm up with more than that.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Not a member, but I love the Lunk Alarm! It's pretty funny and ridiculous.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard anything bad about PF from people who joined it. I go to Lucille Roberts because they have classes and zumba in addition to the machines.
  • tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just started at the PF that opened close to us. We are just getting started, so it's has not been a daily visiting thing yet. We ended up having to buy 2 black memberships b/c we would not be able to go together(have 3 young boys and there is no child care offered there). I have only attempted the treadmills so far. I don't know how to use any of the machines and the cardio circuit section has machines, too. I could do the steps piece of it, though.
    I know that there are fitness advisers there, but we are not able to make it there during the times offered. I do wish there were classes offered. I think it would helpful for me b/c I am intimidated by the machinery and liked taking some classes when I was in college.
    I would love to find someone to go/work out with. maybe one day it will happen. Right now my plan is to go to the gym at least twice a week and then alternate cardio/strength training and yoga videos at home on the other days.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    My husband and I just started at the PF that opened close to us. We are just getting started, so it's has not been a daily visiting thing yet. We ended up having to buy 2 black memberships b/c we would not be able to go together(have 3 young boys and there is no child care offered there). I have only attempted the treadmills so far. I don't know how to use any of the machines and the cardio circuit section has machines, too. I could do the steps piece of it, though.
    I know that there are fitness advisers there, but we are not able to make it there during the times offered. I do wish there were classes offered. I think it would helpful for me b/c I am intimidated by the machinery and liked taking some classes when I was in college.
    I would love to find someone to go/work out with. maybe one day it will happen. Right now my plan is to go to the gym at least twice a week and then alternate cardio/strength training and yoga videos at home on the other days.

The machines are very self explanatory. Go up to each one and you'll see they have diagrams on how to use them.
  • 202685tracy
    202685tracy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It is an ok gym for a no frills gym. My mom belongs to it and when I am back visiting I go on her guest pass. They do have a ton of cardio machines, which allows you to stay on longer than 20 mins which is the case in some gyms and no waiting. They have a few machines, cross cable machines, smith machines and dumb bells. No barbells. I would check it out and make your own decision. Oh yeah they also have a curves style room too, for those who may be just getting started on their weight loss journey.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options

The machines are very self explanatory. Go up to each one and you'll see they have diagrams on how to use them.

What he said. Also, don't be afraid to ask the staff if you are confused. Machines can cause injury if not used correctly, so you should get instruction if you are unsure, and staff are there to help. Most PFs have free instructions at certain times of the week too.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My mother goes to Planet Fitness. I've gone with her a couple of times. I've been to two of them. They are good for beginners or people just generally trying to get into shape but its nothing I could make a home gym out of. I'm way beyond what they are capable of. And yes Im a girl and I grunt and humm and haww. But sometimes that's what you do when your pressing 360 lbs worth of plates. And the lunk alarm thing is obnoxious and their commercials are discriminatory and stereotype people. My coach is probably bigger than anyone is this entire forum and he now is school studying for his Phd. Don't get me started about offering pizza and bagels. Probably the two worse things you could eat when trying to develop healthy eating habits. You have people that are trying to lose weight, may have food issues, insulin issues, and you put candy and crap food in their face. Horrible.

But I like the circuit training aspect. I think that is good for newbies or people that have a lot of weight to loose. They are really clean and the machines seem to be maintained pretty well.
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    I love my PF but from what I understand my location is an exception to the rest of the chain.

We have gret trainers, a clean spacious gym with plenty of equpment for cheap.

Good luck!
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    depends on what ur looking for. u can take a tour before u sign up
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    You come to find that most people that don't like it are those who are mad about the fact that they can't bench press 175lb dumbbells there. While I don't have an issue with that, they just don't swing it at planet fitness. I have a membership there and it works perfectly fine for me. I got the black pass, the massage bed is freaking awesome. Of course, a free weight bench, would be nice but the smith machine makes due for the time being until I possibly get my own free bench.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I have a Planet Fitness coming near me, but I've heard a lot of negative reviews on this gym.
    What's bad about Planet Fitness?

I don't go to one but I've read from several folks that they have limited to no free weights and they don't allow deadlifting or olympic style lifts.

Limited free weights: Yes

Don't allow deadlifts: Couldn't be further from the truth. Seriously, I see people post this all the time and I would really like to know where they don't allow this. Just this past Thursday I was at our PF and there was a guy next to me doing deadlifts. No one came over and told him to stop. I do deadlifts there and no one has ever told me to stop.

Olympic style lifts: I have never been to a gym where I have seen anyone doing this.
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with Planet Fitness!!!!I just lost almost 60 lbs there in 145 days so, I'd say i LOVE them!!!!Very nice,clean open 24 hours free tanning and masage!!!!!!I find they have plenty of weights & equip. I say join and enjoy!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    If you are just going to work out, maybe get a tan... its the perfect place.. $20 a month unlimited ... you can't beat it... and for the normal "work out" person.. its perfect.
    The only people that I've ever seen not like PF are people looking for a more "advanced" gym where they can lift heavy weights and things like that. Which is fine, to each their own..
    But for the regular people just looking for a place to work out... its great :)
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I have a Planet Fitness coming near me, but I've heard a lot of negative reviews on this gym.
    What's bad about Planet Fitness?

I don't go to one but I've read from several folks that they have limited to no free weights and they don't allow deadlifting or olympic style lifts.

Limited free weights: Yes

Don't allow deadlifts: Couldn't be further from the truth. Seriously, I see people post this all the time and I would really like to know where they don't allow this. Just this past Thursday I was at our PF and there was a guy next to me doing deadlifts. No one came over and told him to stop. I do deadlifts there and no one has ever told me to stop.

Olympic style lifts: I have never been to a gym where I have seen anyone doing this.

Official corporate policy says no squats or deadlifts. However because of its nature as a franchise business many owners choose to look the other way when it comes to these rules. It depends on how closely the owner of your PF chooses to enforce it.

Regarding Olympic Style lifts, I see it all the time at Gold's and I actually work out with them myself.