Do you tip a pizza delivery man when..

Options

Replies

• Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    yes. when my mom did delivery, she got 25 cents per house in gas compensation (like that covers anything) and the tips that the people gave her, and minimum wage. also she didnt just deliver, half the time she had to work inthe kitchen to amke the pizzas also because they would be so busy the cook wouldnt be able to make in in time for the 30 minute guarentee etc. it wasn't like she just sat around doing nothing for her whole shift.
    one time it was flooded and she had to climb out her car window to deliver this guys pizza and he didn't even tip because it "took her too long to get there". I might be biased but I tip because I know they do more then just sit around and drive their cars.
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I love giving the tip.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Yes, but as a former food service worker I don't believe they should be tipped. They get minimum wage or more for a really simple job. It isn't like waiting tables where you do hard work and are paid below minimum wage.

I guess you havnt done delivery. I have and it can be hard and scary and dangerous.

^^^ That! Pizza delivery people have been murdered in this town simply because someone didn't want to pay for their pizza.

Also, they might get paid more than a waitress but a pizza delivery driver also has to shell out money for gas, tires, car, maintenance etc. Having worked as a server who dated a pizza boy in college, I'd have to say waiting tables is way easier and you make a lot more in tips.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Mr. Pink:
    I don't tip becausesociety says I have to. If they really put forth the effort,I'll give 'em somethin' extra. But this tipping automatically,it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned,they're just doin' their job. These ladies aren't starvin' to death .They make minimum wage. I used to work minimum wage,and when I did... I wasn't lucky enough to have a job that society deemed tip-worthy.

Waitresses get paid about $2.00 an hour and many times has to split their tips with some of the help. Educate yourself.

If the amount they earn / claim is below minimum wage then they are bumped up by the restaurant.......If they earn 2 + 2 in tips.....they are given more to bring them up to minimum wage......educate yourself.
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I always tip them!! Its not their fault that the store charges for delivery. They work very hard and it can also be a very dangerous job, many have gotten robbed delivering. If they do me a service as far as waiting on me or delivering my pizza order I tip them. And I also am one that tips the bag boy who helps load my car with my groceries although that seems to be non existent anymore. Most stores make you bag your own groceries now and put them in the buggy!! *sigh*

~Carrie~
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten a pizza delivered in probably 5 years, but as a former bartender, I pretty much tip EVERYONE in cases where I know its appropriate, so YES!
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Yes. We order from the local place maybe 1 time every 2 weeks or so. They don't deliver unless the order is over $15. I've had them waive that and deliver less than that. The last time I called 10 minutes before they closed and asked if it was too late - giving them an out if they didn't want to stay late. They made my order and delivered it even after the place closed. Must have been 40 min after closing by the time I got my food. Big tip and lots of thanks. They are a million times better than Dominoes so they get my business.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I love giving the tip.

but just the tip...
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Yes. The delivery fee goes to the company, not the actual person delivering the pizza.

^ Yep. I always always always tip.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Only sometimes depending if I could afford it
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yes, but as a former food service worker I don't believe they should be tipped. They get minimum wage or more for a really simple job. It isn't like waiting tables where you do hard work and are paid below minimum wage.

Not all companies pay their drivers minimum wage. I am one and I only get $4.50 an hour plus $0.40 a delivery no matter how far I have to drive and sometimes it can be 10 miles in 1 direction.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I use to be a server so I tip all service workers because I know they are making ****! Servers get 20% min. Pizza delivery guys get $5 min (we order locally so it's not like they are using 5 gallons of gas to get to the house when we do have them come), bartenders either get tipped at the end of the night or as I drink, etc.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    yes, but since i am poor, not as much. Pizza places know they are going to deliver, so they should just accept it as a cost of doing business. (build it into the cost of the pizza)

Then they woould charge a different price for delivery versus pick-up? that would not go over well with customers... it is not a cost of doing business to tip the delivery person.. Tips are not built in at restaurants, as that is for the individual service not the establishment.
  • dawson855
    dawson855 Posts: 3
    Options
    no cozz they always take forever lol
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Mr. Pink:
    I don't tip becausesociety says I have to. If they really put forth the effort,I'll give 'em somethin' extra. But this tipping automatically,it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned,they're just doin' their job. These ladies aren't starvin' to death .They make minimum wage. I used to work minimum wage,and when I did... I wasn't lucky enough to have a job that society deemed tip-worthy.

Waitresses get paid about $2.00 an hour and many times has to split their tips with some of the help. Educate yourself.

If the amount they earn / claim is below minimum wage then they are bumped up by the restaurant.......If they earn 2 + 2 in tips.....they are given more to bring them up to minimum wage......educate yourself.

Um ... what restaurant does that? Never one I or anyone I know ever worked in.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    yes. the delivery person does not get that charge as a tip.
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Mr. Pink:

Ummm excuse me but that may be so where you are but not here!!! Waitresses do NOT get bumped up to minimum wage. They work their butts off for their customers and get a check thats laughable. I have been in the restraunt business for many yrs and know. At least in these parts

~Carrie~
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Mr. Pink:

Not sure where you live but that does NOT happen where I live.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Mr. Pink:

Not all places do this and some managers will work your weekly numbers to make up for it so if one night you didn't do so well and the next night you made triple, they count that. Every place that I've worked in has done it. They figure yeah...you only made $20 on Thursday night but Friday you brought home $250 in tips. Adjust adjust adjust so it looks like you made at least min wage all week.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options

um, what about their gas costs??? waitresses don't have gas costs. They walk. Pizza ppl drive. wtf is that.