Do you tip a pizza delivery man when..

Options

Replies

• MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    We rarely ever eat pizza anymore but, when we do, we always pick it up because delivery takes way too long and I don't like eating lukewarm pizza. On the rare occasion that we have Chinese delivered, we always tip a minimum of $5.00.
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Did NO-ONE get that Reservoir Dogs reference? Seems everyone took it seriously.

Hmm. I am in the UK so would tip £1 or something if he turned up on time.

I am quite offended at the 'all foreigners are lousy tippers thing'. I holiday int he US alot and we always tip 20%+++, HOWEVER, I have recieved bad service before from wait staff but I see the same one giving American customers excellent service on the next table. I am pretty sure it's because they *think* I am going to be lousy tipper because I'm British. Once the service was so bad I only tipped 10% but that was because the waiter dissappeared for ages and came back stinking of cigarette smoke and ignored us for 20 minutes after we asked for refills while standing around chatting to his friends who were eating at another table.
  • Ironman2be
    Ironman2be Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    you're a *kitten* if you don't
  • ffffaaatttt
    ffffaaatttt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes, but as a former food service worker I don't believe they should be tipped. They get minimum wage or more for a really simple job. It isn't like waiting tables where you do hard work and are paid below minimum wage.

Uh yeah.... Is that right? Do you know how much money a month it cost to maintain a vehicle?? Especially when you put 2000 miles a month on your car? In the 3 years that I delivered I've gone through about 5 vehicles. So .... bottom line is this. If you don't want to tip.... Get your lazy *kitten* in your own car, and pick up your own food. You tip people to do a job that you are perfectly capable of doing yourself. THE END.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Most places will state online that the delivery charge is for gas.
    Tips are for the driver.

So yes, you need to tip on top of that.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Of course. Duh.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    depending on the company they're working for (they = the driver) they supply the vehicle, they supply the maintenance on that vehicle, they put the gas into it, minimum wage doesn't go far towards getting that pizza to your door. Rare company that supplies the vehicle and fuel, around here at least.
    I don't tip for the pick-ups, that's cost of business, they have the money in for the meal to pay overhead.

it's on the receipt that they pick up when they pick up the order
    DEBIT / CREDIT required, not my fault they didn't "look" at the order, shall I tip them or shall i send them on their way because I don't deal in cash?

I'm really not understanding you here. They bring a credit card reader to your door? I've never heard of that. Why wouldn't you just give them your information over the phone?
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    yes, but since i am poor, not as much. Pizza places know they are going to deliver, so they should just accept it as a cost of doing business. (build it into the cost of the pizza)

With all due respect, if you can afford a pizza, you can afford a decent tip.

And if you can't afford the tip, go pick it up yourself. Those drivers are working hard!

We give extra tip if it's raining or anything like that... my mom did this type of work when I was in school, and I know it's hard.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    My brother drove for a sandwich shop and he didn't get an hourly wage either. His car, his gas, his insurance, he lived off those tips. Needless to say he doesn't work there anymore.
  • gwduker
    gwduker Posts: 293
    Options
    I just have my lady answer the door naked. I figure that is tip enough!! :laugh:
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i always tip well no matter what
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Yes, but as a former food service worker I don't believe they should be tipped. They get minimum wage or more for a really simple job. It isn't like waiting tables where you do hard work and are paid below minimum wage.

I guess you havnt done delivery. I have and it can be hard and scary and dangerous.

Amen, in my state we get paid the same as waiters, not minimum wage. I think it's disgusting not to tip.
  • KatieMae75
    KatieMae75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Yup. Even if the company charges a fee, it doesn't likely go to the driver. I know most companies around here pay their drivers minimum wage, but they go through a lot of gas. And, the winters around here can be brutal, their job has to suck during a blizzard.
  • ffffaaatttt
    ffffaaatttt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Also... I DO get paid BELOW minimum wage. Gas is about 4 dollars a gallon, and NO we do not get the delivery fee that they charge people. Which is bull****. P.S 2 dollars is not a good tip.. That's the kind of tip that makes your food go to the bottom of the list when I have 5 deliveries in my car. Look at that driver just gave you a tip. TIp well if you like your food hot.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Mr. Pink:
    I don't tip becausesociety says I have to. If they really put forth the effort,I'll give 'em somethin' extra. But this tipping automatically,it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned,they're just doin' their job. These ladies aren't starvin' to death .They make minimum wage. I used to work minimum wage,and when I did... I wasn't lucky enough to have a job that society deemed tip-worthy.

Waitresses get paid about $2.00 an hour and many times has to split their tips with some of the help. Educate yourself.

If the amount they earn / claim is below minimum wage then they are bumped up by the restaurant.......If they earn 2 + 2 in tips.....they are given more to bring them up to minimum wage......educate yourself.

Um ... what restaurant does that? Never one I or anyone I know ever worked in.

In the state I live in, it's required. You have to report your tips, and if they don't bump you up to at least minimum wage, they have to supplement your pay. However, too many times having to get this extra pay, and you are let go for not "performing". they figure if you aren't getting tips it must be your fault. But they can't legally work here and bring home less than minimum wage.
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    $5 minimum tip at our house

Same here. Could be more depending on quanity/variety of food ordered.
    We tend to order from pizza places, but not get pizza. We get the pasta dishes and/or sandwiches :0)
    Also have a chicken place that has great fried chicken and fabulous cod dinners (I get the cod while hubby and roommate eat chicken).

We order enough they remember us. They know we tip well.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Yes. The delivery fee goes to the company, not the actual person delivering the pizza.

Yep. The delivery charge is not the same as a tip. I tip anyone whose employer expects them to be tipped and pays them accordingly. In some states employers can pay less than minimum wage because they reasonably expect the employee to get tips.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Many pizza places will state directly that the delivery charge does not go to the driver.

I will usually go get my own pizza so I don't have to wait, but if I do order delivery the tip is 20% minimum. More if it's pouring rain or if it was snowing heavily when I lived up north. They are saving me from having to go out in that crap.

I heard from a friend who started working at a local Pizza Hut that the drivers used to fight for the deliveries going to my parent's house. My folks were quite generous.