Frame Size Wrist Calculator

Options

Replies

• lodicox7
    lodicox7 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know if it matters if you use your dominant vs. non-dominant wrist? My right wrist measures 6.25", and my left measures 6'. I would think that the non-dominant left side is a more accurate measurement of bone structure, as the size difference is likely extra muscle on the right side.

I'm measuring right across the styloid processes (the bony parts of the wrist that stick out on each side) with a cloth measuring tape, so my measurements should be accurate. The difference in measurement takes me from a small to medium frame at a height of 5'10".

Anyone else have this issue?
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    According to the calculator, my goal weight is 10 pounds lower than the LOWEST ideal body frame weight. Crazy huh?
  • lodicox7
    lodicox7 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5668549_measure-ideal-weight.html

This suggests using the non-dominant side for elbow measurement so it's probably the same for wrists eh?
  • rumpusparable
    Options
    The range they gave was too low for me when I'm in top shape. I am at a healthy weight at 135-140, low body fat, high muscle. This gave me a range of 121-135... at less than 130 I start to become sickeningly bony and am also ill almost all the time... I catch about every bug there is, my immune system suffers from that low a weight.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Mine was medium and said 124-138.. My current goal is 140.. When I get there I'll see! =) This is interesting..Thanks for posting!
  • lauras777
    lauras777 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Well that was fun! :laugh:
    Both wrist and elbow confirm that I am large frame, so that works out with my goal weight! Yeah!!!
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Mine says I should weigh less than what the BMI scale says! I'm 5'4 with 6.25 wrist. It says I should weigh between 124-138 where BMI says I can weigh 145 at the max. That's a little disappointing :-/
  • KiwiKim25
    KiwiKim25 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Sweet! I AM a large frame. That makes me feel better. :D But realizing I should weight 149lbs at the most? Crap.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    The problem I see with this...I've had to take in my watch band during the course of my weight loss, so my wrist measurement has changed. Would my frame size be changing too?
    Yeah this seems to be a flaw. I think the idea is to find your approx bone size (since that doesn't change). If you have a lot of flesh around your wrist you might get a size that is inaccurate. I might do the elbow and wrist to see if they jive. Apparently the elbow is supposed to be better for men to use (not sure why). Also if you are a man under 5'6" it won't give you a reading (which I think is horrible). Anyway so it doesn't work for everyone and its certainly not perfect but I'm glad some people are finding this as helpful as I did. :)
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this, it's awesome. It says I have a small frame, which is makes total sense to me.

I'm close to 5' 9 and according the the calculator my goal weight of 135 is right smack in the middle of their ideal weight range of 129-142!

The smallest I remember being is 142, and I was pretty jazzed about it, so I'm glad my ideal weight is accurate for me, because a lot of people I know seem to think I want to be too skinny.
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Very cool calculator. It confirmed that my goal weight is right for my frame. :)
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this! I've always known I haven't had a small frame (I've always had broad shoulders/hips no matter what) so seeing charts that say I should be 115 never seemed right to me.
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That's great. I always wondered how you were supposed to know what frame size you ACTUALLY had...I don't know why it never occurred to me that a calculator would exist. :laugh:
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    this isn't exactly accurate if you're fat.
    take measurement when fat, of course it will be large.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    138-151 for me at 6'0" with a 6" wrist. Aiming for 150 so I'm pleased with the results :smile:
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I find height and weights can be really deceiving. Some of you might also find this interesting. To find your ideal weight based on your frame size (using your wrist measurement) go here: http://health.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Frame-Size-Wrist

I found this calculator to be extremely accurate. I am 5'4" currently 130 my GW 120lbs UGW 115lbs. I have a smallish frame (5.75" wrists ). And while my BMI puts me in a healthy range for my age, height, and weight, the wrist calculator puts me at 114lb-127lbs as my ideal weight and I 100% agree with this. While I don't put a whole lot of stock in scales, when I am healthy and at a good body fat % I definitely fall on the lower end of my BMI spectrum and maybe you do too (or it could go the other way for you). Anyway, this is just another layer for those who are in healthy BMI ranges but still feel they need to lose/gain weight.

BUMP
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    According to this, I have a medium bone structure, and should be between 139-153, my goal is 145!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    According to wrist measurement, I have a small frame. I'm 5'9" and even at my heaviest, I had 5.5 inch wrists. However, my doctor said I definitely have a large frame. My shoulders and pelvis are both broad. I have a spacious rib cage and all the long bones in my arms/legs are thick and sturdy. This, despite the fact that I have very delicate wrists and ankles. My ring size is tiny, too.

So, it's possible to have characteristics of both a large and small frame. I've also seen calculators that use the breadth of your elbow to determine frame size. By that measurement, I have a medium frame.

So who knows...
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bump - Mineis right on taget for me. My weight is 117-130. I'm 5'5" and I like to be around 125. Right now I am 131. I've been 118 before and it was too skinny....so everyone said, includig the doctor because I was teetering at 18 for my BMI.

I am small framed according to this. I always thought I was and that is what peope describe me as.....
  • summaryzn
    summaryzn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    for years Ive been using wrists as an indicator to determine if someone was always overweight or if they gained weight fairly recently. Its so crazy.. but if you look at your wrist and you can see the bone sticking out my theory is ur 'inclined't to be or were slim if your entire wrist is 'meaty' likely u were always chubby. LOL... it was random but I proved it among a few of my friends. They get a good chuckleout of it. Granted there's no science behind it just one of my bizarro theories. Good to see there is an actualy 'science' associated with wrist circumference which totally makes sense! thanks for posting!