WHAT CHINESE DISH CAN I EAT THATS NOT CALORIFIC?

Options

Replies

• HunterKiller_wechange
    HunterKiller_wechange Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Stir fried vegies in a good oil with garlic, ginger, chillis, soy, and a dash of sesame oil served with a fillet of salmon or whatever fish you fancy placed on top. Yum.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I know it would be easier not to eat the chinese but heading out for meal and don't want to sabotage weight loss....any suggestions?

Just eat sensibly. If it's a rare occasion you aren't going to hurt anything. Remember your maintenance weight and stuff is much higher. If you are going out for a rare occasion just enjoy the meal. It'll help bring back up your insulin levels and not going to gain any weight from it.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It's not really the calories that's the problem, it's the portion sizes and sodium content that blows you up. For example, one patty of egg fu yung is only like 150 calories, one cup of general tsao's chicken is only like 400 calories...problem is you usually get 2-3 cups/servings worth LOL. Get whatever you want but only eat half, or even a third, and don't eat anything else salty the rest of the day.
  • Natsi21
    Natsi21 Posts: 1
    Options
    Oyster and Soy sauce are low in calories, and maybe substitue rice with bean sprouts.. they add a nice crunch and are a nice option on the side of your main dish :D
  • Devona14
    Devona14 Posts: 171
    Options
    When I eat Chinese I usually get Chicken and Broccoli with the sauce on the side. This way it becomes just steamed veggies and chicken. I dip pieces of the veggies and chicken in the sauce, but not every bite I take. That way I have control over how much sauce I eat. I do eat the rice, but steer clear of egg rolls.
  • mrsevanrust
    Options
    Moo Shu Pork- it's all cabbage basically. I'm sure it's pretty loaded with sodium, but it's a no carb meal if you don't use the wraps.
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I make a beef and broccoli with low sodium soy sauce and skip the rice and noodles
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    egg drop soup is good too!
  • Rory_123
    Rory_123 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Steamed rice and steamed whole fish, and some bok choy on the side.
  • buffybabe
    buffybabe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Some places have a chicken lettuce wrap that is pretty decent.

How could I forget!??! I had these as an appetizer at my wedding too ;-). SOOO Tasty!

I am not a big Chinese food person, but my fiance owns a Chinese restaurant, so I discovered these pretty early on and they are quite tasty. He makes them at home for me too :-)
  • leahhoffert
    leahhoffert Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to make a stir fry at home. I know its not the restaurant stuff but its easy and much better for you. Go for all your favorite veggies, lean meat, and brown rice. For sauce, I usually get fresh ginger, garlic and light soy sauce going right along with the meat. then add your veggies and to thicken it add a little cornstarch water paste. ! waala dinner with out the sad face!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Eat one of the staff. Chinese people are generally very healthy.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I like beef and broccoli or a teriyaki chicken with veggies. Despite the high sodium. :-/ The sodium is the biggest killer for me. I usually do my own Asian foods at home so I can control the sodium better.
  • LBxLB
    LBxLB Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Brown rice steamed broccoli with chicken (optional low sodium soy sauce) w/ miso soup
  • JewelsDeLuz
    Options
    Panda Express pretty decently fresh. I like a panda bowl with beef and broccoli over steamed veggies. About 300 calories. Then two of the veggie spring rolls is only another 150 calories. That's not really 'going out' for Chinese' but it's a pretty good alternative to other fast food.
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    chicken and cabbage soup?

Any non breaded meat with lots of veggies, go easy on the rice.
  • maylene1853
    Options
    shrimp or chicken chowmein, no rice or noodles...

thats what i like....
  • mmwaters81
    mmwaters81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat something called Chicken chow mein, of course I haven't ate it in a while though and not sure how many calories it is. But all it is a whole bunch of different types of white and green onions in a sauce with chicken (not breaded or fried). It usually comes with white rice but if you like brown rice (of course not too much) that will work too, and its better for you. You can also eat it without any rice.
  • psideon
    psideon Posts: 24
    Options
    Good god, there's more than chicken and broccoli...

TIP: If you walk in the door at peak meal time and the place doesn't have at least 50% asian customer base... turn around and look for another joint. Racist, but a very good gauge of a restaurant (works for any cuisine, I find)

OK... Look for a decent dim sum restaurant. One that serves it all day long and LOAD UP on that stuff. Go for everything steamed... shrimp, pork, shrimp stuffed green peppers and egg plant (less eggplant cuz' they have to fry it first before steaming)...

FISH! Awesome steamed fish with tons of ginger, garlic, spring onions, etc. Much more pricey than the standard chicken or beef but worth it if they know what they're doing. If they don't know what you're talking about... run!

Hainanese chicken... that's steamed chicken with light soy sauce seasoning served at room temperature. Go easy on the chicken rice or skip it entirely... that's rice seasoned with chicken FAT (delicious but deadly).

Go for the veggie/seafood soups... or clear broth chicken soups if available. Skip the Hot&Sour cuz that stuff's loaded with sodium.

Skip eggrolls, those fried noodles and duck sauce that they stick in front of you while you menu surf, nuts (they're fried AND salted)...

Worst case scenario, ask for a beef and veggie stir fry and ask for very little sauce (that's what kills ya').
    Shrimp fried rice ONLY if they have the light/high quality version (it should come out white-ish, not brownish... the cheap stuff use soy sauce for seasoning)

Feel free to spy on other tables as you walk to your spot, bathroom, etc. Point and ask if you have to... it's a little rude but worth it to discover something yummy and healthy. And PLEASE don't ask for brown rice, brown rice... for the love of Christ, Chinese food is served with white, long grain rice. Bite the bullet, cut the portion in half and enjoy the meal!

Good luck.
    Feel free to message me if you want to know more.
  • bdotshaw
    bdotshaw Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I usually get shrimp egg foo young and TRY to eat just one patty (never works out). The patties are under 200 cals each and very high in protein (and sodium, but you asked about CALORIES :). I avoid the gravy that comes with it and measure 1/2 cup of white rice (which won't kill you, fyi)