When to get Married...

Options

Replies

• PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm settling down in September with a man I have been with for 7 years (I'm 24), but I'm getting the "When are you having kids?" talk already.

Families are annoying. Stuff will happen when you're ready for it to happen, and that counts with everything in your life, from a career, to marriage (if you choose to marry or just to stay common-law or even single), to whether or not you're having kids...it's all going to happen when you're ready for it.
  • LazyDaise
    LazyDaise Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm 23 and my mum called me 'on the shelf' the other day!
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    once you do get married, it doesn't just stop there.. then they are on you to have children...
  • lglg11
    lglg11 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Only get married when the little stick turns blue.

Even then its a crap shoot .. trust me , I knows
  • twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Nope, mine are telling me NOT to do it! Not because of a specific man or anything, but I've been there, done that, bought that t-shirt...I'm in no rush to do it again. IF, and that's a big if, I ever do it again, it will handled a whole lot differently than my previous marriage.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    never never never never never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bethmakesmusic
    bethmakesmusic Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Nah, I did what I want. We waited til we were ready mentally and financially.

Course now every time we see any family they ask "when you getting knocked up?"

We get this ALL the time!!!! I'm about to turn 30. I still have a couple of good years left, right??
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Only get married when the little stick turns blue.

snort.

haha did that.....didnt really work out so well.

I say get married when YOU feel ready. 23 is quite young in my oppinion. You have your whole life time to go for it:)
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I have some in my family like that and I gotta say nothing wrong with getting married BUT I rather not give away half my stuff when it doesn’t work out
  • BabyLeila23
    BabyLeila23 Posts: 410
    Options
    Haha thanks guys. Thats definitely what I was thinking. I figure when I'm ready I'll know it :)
  • ctlinj7
    ctlinj7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Old people at weddings always poke me and say "You're next"
    So I started doing the same thing to them at funerals. :-)

Kidding! Buttt I always get the "when will Michael propose, I'm surprised he hasn't yet... maybe your birthday, maybe on vacation, maybe on next Tuesday.... and my answer is.... he will do it when he wants... we are in no rush and we aren't like everybody else rushing to the altar (all my close friends are married - and some are regretting it!)
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    :sad:

I'll be 30 this year. Single. No kids. No boyfriend. Nothing. My mom wants a granddaughter. I told her tough luck!
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    They've written me off years ago....THANK GOD!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Lol that endless stream started years ago for me. My older sister is married, most of my friends and relatives around my age are too. I just haven't found Mr. Right yet and don't want to settle for Mr. Right now.

Remind your family of this. I have seen too many of my friends and family who have become afraid that they'll never get married, and end up settling for the wrong guy. They have been miserable with the choice! One even ended up being in an abusive situation (fortunately, she's out now). It's much better to be happily single than get desperate and end up in a bad situation.
  • GodsGirl37
    GodsGirl37 Posts: 348
    Options
    I sure have and I remided them it was that pressure that caused me to marry the wrong guy the first time. then they stopped bugging about it.
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    N e v e r.

DIng! Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

And now I'm hungry.
  • kwin91
    kwin91 Posts: 128
    Options
    Honestly I think it depends on you as a person and how you feel. You can't let your family decide your future because hen you could settle for any one and be unhappy. Wait until your the happiest you've ever been with a person!

After dating two guys in high school for a while and then getting cheated on and having to be a taxi to them I said no more guys. Then I met my husband, and we just clicked, and we latched on to each other because we just knew. I was/am only 20 (don't give me *kitten* people lol and I'm almost 21!) but I'm different from most of the girls my age, much more mature. My mom says I came out reading the newspaper and doing taxes.

So really just listen to yourself and don't let others have a say in your life unless its that person who makes you happy.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    This is obviously a trick question.

--P
  • Andie_loops
    Options
    Yes, for a while they did bc i was 25 and had been with the same guy for 3 years, then we moved in together just last year (which to me is the same as getting married no offense to anyone) aaaand they stopped talking to me! lol
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Omigosh, you have all the time in the world. I married at 23 and I would never take it back, but we would have been so much smarter to put our wedding off for a couple years, save up some money and pay off some debt. Then we might have had a really neat destination wedding or a fabulous honeymoon... as it was, we could afford only a small living room wedding and a single night in a cabin. We loved it, but 6 years later I often think about what it would have been like to have the dress of my dreams and not one I ordered online because it "worked."