Limiting myself to 1500 calories. Too much sugar though?

Options

Replies

• cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Just worry about your total calories, you will be fine :)
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, people are stressing too many opinions and minor details... everyone is different. Recommended weight loss by medical professionals is 1-2 pounds per week, it is possible to lose faster and slower, but everyone makes it too complicated for people new to losing weight.

Truth is keep your calories under what you burn. If you want to lose faster and can do so without effecting how you feel, then lower more or exercise more... Good Luck! The lifestyle being healthy will grant you will more than pay for the effort it takes to get there :)
  • margaretrican
    margaretrican Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    the fruit choices are high in sugar content, if you want to eat fruit eat non tropical fruits like apples, melons, citris fruits. I know you dont like to eat vegetables but in order to lose the fat you are going to have to eat them to take in enough good healthy calories.
  • goatfishtwo
    goatfishtwo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, people are stressing too many opinions and minor details... everyone is different. Recommended weight loss by medical professionals is 1-2 pounds per week, it is possible to lose faster and slower, but everyone makes it too complicated for people new to losing weight.

Truth is keep your calories under what you burn. If you want to lose faster and can do so without effecting how you feel, then lower more or exercise more... Good Luck! The lifestyle being healthy will grant you will more than pay for the effort it takes to get there :)

Okay, I understand you're well intentioned and you just want to help this guy out and I really respect that but seriously calories are just a number, they don't mean anything. If all of his calories are coming from ice cream, don't you think his body would handle that differently than if it came from vegetables or meat?

The energy in/energy out theory has been disproven on several occasions and its more important to look at what drives fat accumulation and lipolysis than it is to consistently be counting calories.
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    the fruit choices are high in sugar content, if you want to eat fruit eat non tropical fruits like apples, melons, citris fruits. I know you dont like to eat vegetables but in order to lose the fat you are going to have to eat them to take in enough good healthy calories.

This is not true. Hit your macros. end thread.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to make a point, I missed it. Once you have a degree in physics or nutrition, your word is credible. Until then, you're just a guy on the internet spreading broscience to people who don't know any better.

Oh please spare me your wikipedia regurgitation. Thanks.

THISGONBGUD.gif
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Okay, I understand you're well intentioned and you just want to help this guy out and I really respect that but seriously calories are just a number, they don't mean anything. If all of his calories are coming from ice cream, don't you think his body would handle that differently than if it came from vegetables or meat?

The energy in/energy out theory has been disproven on several occasions and its more important to look at what drives fat accumulation and lipolysis than it is to consistently be counting calories.

Can you provide some examples of the energy balance equation being disproven?
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Thing is I need to loose a considerably large amount of weight. 60 - 70 pounds at least. If I ate 1930 calories I don't think i'd feel I was on a diet at all. I'm having three meals a day as it is and i'm not hungry

I agree with the other posts - eating too little will not help you. You do not have to feel deprived, and you shouldn't be deprived of food - just eat good stuff!

Big lesson I have learnt - this is NOT A "DIET" - you are learning to eat well as your body needs, not what your head says!! I have lost a lot of weight since Christmas and still eat lots, but I eat better choices - I am on 1200 cals per day (but I am a 60 yo sedentary woman, 5'6 1/2") - you look like a big guy, only 31, so your body needs those calories.

Trust MFP to provide you with the right numbers - as long as you have been truthful and put in all your height / weight etc correctly - I would say eat well within what MFP suggests for at least a month or two, get some exercise - and you don't have to kill yourself, just move more - and see what happens.

Re the sugar - I know if I have two pieces of fruit my sugar is over, and whilst this is a controversial topic, sugar is sugar is sugar - but at least if you get sugar from fruit it comes with vitamins, minerals, fibre. Fruit juice is a way to quickly pile on sugar so in my opinion I would avoid juices. Don't have added sugar if you can avoid it, avoid processed food as much as possible, eat lots of vegies and good protein. Plan your day - put in ahead what you think you will eat, or want to eat, and see what it comes out at - eating good snacks during the day also helps - almonds are a great way to get some healthy nibbling done!

Good luck with your weight loss - I wish my son would join MFP and do this like you are. Looking forward to seeing good results from you :smile:
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    THISGONBGUD.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What would happen if you ate a diet with over 70% of cals coming from carbs and 43% of your cals came in the form of sucrose, but you were in a caloric deficit?
  • secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    {~~~ no degree in physics but i do know that I have lost 92 pounds and i did it by COUNTING CALORIES and lifting heavy things...I think if you're trying gain muscle or cut then there are different things to look at but this guy is wanting to drop weight and if he fuels his body with x amount of calories and moves more he WILL LOSE. Now go roid rage somewhere else cumquat
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Can you provide some examples of the energy balance equation being disproven?

would like to see this also.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to make a point, I missed it. Once you have a degree in physics or nutrition, your word is credible. Until then, you're just a guy on the internet spreading broscience to people who don't know any better.

THISGONBGUD.gif

LMFOA; I don't think I have ever seen Sidesteal use Wikipedia as a reference source here!
  • goatfishtwo
    Options
    {~~~ no degree in physics but i do know that I have lost 92 pounds and i did it by COUNTING CALORIES and lifting heavy things...I think if you're trying gain muscle or cut then there are different things to look at but this guy is wanting to drop weight and if he fuels his body with x amount of calories and moves more he WILL LOSE. Now go roid rage somewhere else cumquat

I think "and lifting heavy things" should be emphasized instead of the former because that is what matters.

Roid rage? Oh lord. Give me a break *kitten*.

All of you, should try reading a book for once in your life.
    Gary Taubes explains why thermodynamics don't apply in both of his books AND all of his presentations. Educate yourselves.
  • goatfishtwo
    Options

THISGONBGUD.gif

LMFOA; I don't think I have ever seen Sidesteal use Wikipedia as a reference source here!

How adorable, your minions are fighting your battles for you.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options

Why do people such as you always, and I mean always, push things to an idiotic extreme. NO ONE is saying just eat ice cream, but are all, as far as I can see saying a bowl of ice cream is not going to destroy your weight loss as long as your body is in an energy deficit. You are spouting things that really need peer reviewed research papers to back them up, so provide them. I am sure that others you are discounting for not having a degree can do so since I have seen them do it before.
  • goatfishtwo
    Options

Why do people such as you always, and I mean always, push things to an idiotic extreme. NO ONE is saying just eat ice cream, but are all, as far as I can see saying a bowl of ice cream is not going to destroy your weight loss as long as your body is in an energy deficit. You are spouting things that really need peer reviewed research papers to back them up, so provide them. I am sure that others you are discounting for not having a degree can do so since I have seen them do it before.

Cuz calories is calories bro.
    Duh. I mean since calories are the only thing that matter, right?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Agree with a lot of the information given in this thread...unless it's a good carb bad carb comment.

OP: I started my diet taking in 2875 calories a day and constantly lost 1lbs a week...when ever I would go 2 weeks without losing anything, I'd drop my calories some. Now I'm taking in 2250cals a day and still losing 1lb a week. I don't feel like I'm on a diet at all. I always feel full actually lol. But if the numbers on the scale keep dropping and you can eat more, why not do it? I'd rather be satisfied with my lifestyle than feel starved for a "quick fix" that can do more harm than good.

^ This.

Listen to him.
  • secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    So if I write a book about the likely hood of pigs being able to fly in 2013 would that make it fact? There are lots of different books about health
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big vegetable eater and also trying to find the time to exercise at the moment is hard. I have a fairly active job and work nearly 6 days most Weeks also have two young kids so time is of the essence!

Good news! You have two built in gyms! Kids are great for helping you get exercise. They make messes that you have to clean up, they are never where they are supposed to be so you have to walk around looking for them, they either are driving you nuts to go outside and run around or they really need for their health to go outside and run around, and they are competitive little boogers. "Who can run faster me or Mom? Let's race around the block. I bet I can do more jumping jacks than you. Push me higher, higher, I said HIGHER." My 4 year is convinced that every time we go up the stairs at home it is a race. I don't super love all veggies either but I found some that I do like and I eat them a lot. I like tomatoes, edamame, cucumbers, Brussels sprouts, and peppers.

I am 5'4, weigh 136.5 lbs and eat nearly 1600 calories a day, consistently losing 0.5-1 lbs per week. It is mind-numbingly simple though I freely admit to eating something chocolate nearly every day.