Limiting myself to 1500 calories. Too much sugar though?

Options

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, people are stressing too many opinions and minor details... everyone is different. Recommended weight loss by medical professionals is 1-2 pounds per week, it is possible to lose faster and slower, but everyone makes it too complicated for people new to losing weight.

Truth is keep your calories under what you burn. If you want to lose faster and can do so without effecting how you feel, then lower more or exercise more... Good Luck! The lifestyle being healthy will grant you will more than pay for the effort it takes to get there :)

Okay, I understand you're well intentioned and you just want to help this guy out and I really respect that but seriously calories are just a number, they don't mean anything. If all of his calories are coming from ice cream, don't you think his body would handle that differently than if it came from vegetables or meat?

The energy in/energy out theory has been disproven on several occasions and its more important to look at what drives fat accumulation and lipolysis than it is to consistently be counting calories.

Why do people such as you always, and I mean always, push things to an idiotic extreme. NO ONE is saying just eat ice cream, but are all, as far as I can see saying a bowl of ice cream is not going to destroy your weight loss as long as your body is in an energy deficit. You are spouting things that really need peer reviewed research papers to back them up, so provide them. I am sure that others you are discounting for not having a degree can do so since I have seen them do it before.

Cuz calories is calories bro.
    Duh. I mean since calories are the only thing that matter, right?

Hey you got it at last. :flowerforyou:
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to make a point, I missed it. Once you have a degree in physics or nutrition, your word is credible. Until then, you're just a guy on the internet spreading broscience to people who don't know any better.

Oh please spare me your wikipedia regurgitation. Thanks.

Hmmmm...

Any chance you might have credentials to prove YOUR "so called" knowledge??

Otherwise, you're just a pot calling a kettle black.

That is all.
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The energy in/energy out theory has been disproven on several occasions and its more important to look at what drives fat accumulation and lipolysis than it is to consistently be counting calories.

Sources please? Saying something has been disproven on several occasions only works if you cite these specific occasions.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    This thread is why we need an up/down voting system, or cred...

Sidesteal = awesome, knowledgeable, been here for a long time, and that huge post count is almost all VERY good advice . (the other small percentage is a few well placed jokes and/or sarcasm) :wink:
    UP VOTE!

GoatFishTwo = new kid, confrontational, spews garbage, very low post count, and has said nothing useful on any thread, except maybe telling that one guy he was eating too little on another thread, he WAS eating too little. Congrats, you got one right. But still....
    DOWN VOTE!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    {~~~ no degree in physics but i do know that I have lost 92 pounds and i did it by COUNTING CALORIES and lifting heavy things...I think if you're trying gain muscle or cut then there are different things to look at but this guy is wanting to drop weight and if he fuels his body with x amount of calories and moves more he WILL LOSE. Now go roid rage somewhere else cumquat

I think "and lifting heavy things" should be emphasized instead of the former because that is what matters.

Roid rage? Oh lord. Give me a break *kitten*.

All of you, should try reading a book for once in your life.
    Gary Taubes explains why thermodynamics don't apply in both of his books AND all of his presentations. Educate yourselves.

Taubes is a moron besides his write up on the lipid hypothesis. He actually never debunks the energy balance equation, although did mention the study where the obese ate as much as the lean and yet were obese, so it had to be the evil carbs making them fat, right? Too bad that study relied on self reported intake and the obese are particularly bad at accurately self reporting exercise and intake.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    {~~~ no degree in physics but i do know that I have lost 92 pounds and i did it by COUNTING CALORIES and lifting heavy things...I think if you're trying gain muscle or cut then there are different things to look at but this guy is wanting to drop weight and if he fuels his body with x amount of calories and moves more he WILL LOSE. Now go roid rage somewhere else cumquat

I think "and lifting heavy things" should be emphasized instead of the former because that is what matters.

Roid rage? Oh lord. Give me a break *kitten*.

All of you, should try reading a book for once in your life.
    Gary Taubes explains why thermodynamics don't apply in both of his books AND all of his presentations. Educate yourselves.

oh nooooo!

insulinspike.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

How adorable, your minions are fighting your battles for you.

Oh you are making me laugh today so I thank you for that.

Not a minion, just an amused spectator.
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Sources please? Saying something has been disproven on several occasions only works if you cite these specific occasions.

you know, because a book or presentation that doesn't show all variables of a study that disproves something is completely believable.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    By eating less junk foods n more good foods, maintaining a healthy calorie count is very helpful, it's suppose to be a change to the better of your habits, not a diet. Crash diets tend to lead to rebounding weight and sometime even end up weighing more that before the diet. I'm on this site specifically because i wasn't eating enough and it was killing my metabolism.
  • 1SlimShaylee
    1SlimShaylee Posts: 204
    Options
    go to scoobyworkshop.com and calculate your tdee and minus 15%
    that's a smart way to go about life long weight loss!
  • jimmeezwyf
    jimmeezwyf Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My weight loss came to a complete stall in June after I lost 10 lbs. in the first week I started this journey, which was all water weight I'm sure. I am 5'6" 229 and was eating about 1200 calories give or take a 200 calories a day. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing until I got exhausted after about 2 weeks. I wasn't eating enough. On Monday I upped my calories to what MFP told me I needed and low and behold I've been losing a pound a day since! I'm eating on an average 2,000 calories a day, give or take 200 calories. I never had a problem losing in the past and couldn't figure out why, well I never had a low calorie diet ever and my body needed fuel to burn! I don't know if the weight loss will continue like this, but for right now I'm okay with losing a pound a day since I've been at this since April. Good luck! Keep adjusting what you are doing till you find what works. That's what I've always done in the past instead of giving up. You will find what works, and you will feel so good finding what works for you.

P.S. I don't know if this will work for you. I have often had to lose a bunch of weight after my pregnancies, and also after quitting smoking and starting then quitting again. I can only say that there are three things that have really worked for me consistently, and that has been eating healthy most of the time, walking/jogging at least 3.5 miles a day, and heavy weight training at least 3 days a week. I hope you find your burn!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

Gary Taubes is as much of a quack as Dr. Oz.
  • secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Idk if this is right or not but for ME it works...It's not that you HAVE to eat fruits and veggies to lose weight...the difference for ME is the amount...I can have 2 huge, plump fat bananas or a bag of mm's my body is gonna fuel of both but one will satisfy me longer and i get to eat more...but I CAN HAVE EITHER AND STILL LOSE WEIGHT...but that's just me.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I love these threads. ; )
  • secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, people are stressing too many opinions and minor details... everyone is different. Recommended weight loss by medical professionals is 1-2 pounds per week, it is possible to lose faster and slower, but everyone makes it too complicated for people new to losing weight.

Truth is keep your calories under what you burn. If you want to lose faster and can do so without effecting how you feel, then lower more or exercise more... Good Luck! The lifestyle being healthy will grant you will more than pay for the effort it takes to get there :)

Okay, I understand you're well intentioned and you just want to help this guy out and I really respect that but seriously calories are just a number, they don't mean anything. If all of his calories are coming from ice cream, don't you think his body would handle that differently than if it came from vegetables or meat?

Why do people such as you always, and I mean always, push things to an idiotic extreme. NO ONE is saying just eat ice cream, but are all, as far as I can see saying a bowl of ice cream is not going to destroy your weight loss as long as your body is in an energy deficit. You are spouting things that really need peer reviewed research papers to back them up, so provide them. I am sure that others you are discounting for not having a degree can do so since I have seen them do it before.

Cuz calories is calories bro.
    Duh. I mean since calories are the only thing that matter, right?

I bet you like raspberry ketones too huh.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Carbs are great when they are good carbs!

This is when any and all of your credibility was lost. A carbohydrate is a carbohydrate. You can paint it, dress it up, call it a different name, or whatever you please but the end result is still the same thing. It's going to become glucose molecules and insulin will spike. Carbs and insulin make you fat and keep you fat. Plain and simple.

Excess calories make you fat. Protein is insulinogenic too. Carbs do not make you fat or keep you fat in the absence of an energy surplus.

Gluconeogenesis only happens to protein when more protein is consumed than fat. If fat is the most plentiful then fat will be utilized.

Yes, they do. Clearly you do not understand how insulin works.

LOL what?
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    It was proven here, just yesterday, that the all fat 10,000 calorie diet is what's new and hip. You guys are arguing over outdated stuff.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to make a point, I missed it. Once you have a degree in physics or nutrition, your word is credible. Until then, you're just a guy on the internet spreading broscience to people who don't know any better.

Oh please spare me your wikipedia regurgitation. Thanks.

THISGONBGUD.gif

:laugh: :laugh: This GIF will never get old and never fail to make me laugh. This thread is just full of all sorts of awesomeness.
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Gary Taubes is as much of a quack as Dr. Oz.

He will teach us how to defy physics!!!

This is also the guy that said, "I started eating pears...I added 4 or 5 pears to my diet and put of 15lbs in 6 months." Then goes to say it's not about the calories...

Gary Taubes also said "If I eat fruit, other than maybe a handful of blueberries a day, I start to gain weight, so I don't eat it." So keep in mind that he has brain damage. Also keep in mind that his debunked insulin hypothesis was based on such solid foundations as observational studies with (notoriously inaccurate) self-reported food intake, and ad libitum eating. And that we're all still waiting for a controlled study showing mass gain in a hypocaloric state.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    1930 is too high?!?! dang son! i eat a bit more than that and i lose. i think you're setting yourself up for failure by going to 1500 regardless of whether or not you drop sugar

i havent read all the responses but i'm sure someone else has said that. i just wanted to state the obvious :laugh:

but in general good luck on your weight loss and dont be afraid to eat food! you can still lose weight and not starve yourself