Curly haired girls

Options

Replies

• yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    LOL... I finally gave up the 25 - 45 daily hair drying fiasco about a month ago. I use Wen (Fig for curly hair) Shampoo. Then I use a leave in conditioner...Fresh Curls. Last I use Diva Curl Angel. After I put the conditioner in, I use paper towels and scrunch to get as much liquid out of my hair as possible. Then I turn my head upside down and scrunch with the Diva Curl Angel. Once that is in DO NOT TOUCH your hair until its dry.

I have been washing less frequently since going curly. My hair looks better on the second day. Just scrunch a little water to re-arrange the curls and use Diva Curl Mister Right.

Loving my curly hair and spending WAY less time trying to make it straight!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I use pantene "curly moisture" shampoo and conditioner and Frizz ease every once in a while if I know my hair will get frizzy that day from humidity. Most of the time I use Garnier Fructis the sleek and shine anti frizz serum everyday. That seems to tame it and my pony tails tends to separate into 2-3 curly spiral locks, its all shiny and pretty. I love that stuff.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Oh, I dont blow dry my hair at all...I haven't in like 20+ years. It makes my hair like straw. Just saying.
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Moroccan oil is awesome!!! I also use Loreal coconut oil, some cheap gel and a little bit of Aussie hairspray. I have very thick, very long and very curly hair. These little combo's make it handleable on day's I don't straighten it!
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Styling creams work best for me. I let it do what it wants. I like the results from using Hair One (generic for Wen from Sally's).

I think it's funny how 20-some years ago, everyone was getting perms and using curling irons, and now everyone's using flat irons and blowouts. Can't we just embrace what nature gives us?! :laugh:

Agreed!! After years of fighting my natural curl i quit and have accepted it.....i HATE flat ironing my hair plus i get lots of compliments when i wear it curly.....i feel a little more unique with my curls :bigsmile: The best products i've ever used are the ouidad line especially for curly hair but it's way too expensive! I like to experiment with different products and i NEVER blow dry, diffuse or flat iron my hair. I prefer a cocktail of some type of firm hold gel and some shine serum , rake through wet hair and let dry naturally :drinker:
  • LizHowerton
    LizHowerton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I wear my curly hair curly all the time.

(I used to fight it in my youth)

I like ION products for shampoo and conditioner.

I like curly hair solutions products for creme or gel.

www,frizzoff.com
  • glyncoco
    glyncoco Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love the whole Pantene curly line! I use the shampoo and the gel and have also used the spray. Garnier's stuff works well too I just like to switch back and forth so my hair stays confused and doesn't get used to anything.
  • fajitatx
    fajitatx Posts: 36
    Options
    my wife uses all kinds of stuff, I forget what she liked the most but it was a natural organic stuff, that might have been because she got it colored too.
  • curryinahurry
    curryinahurry Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i have long curly hair and trust me...curly is better and sexier..

i am half black and half punjabi...

i use indian oil-the green stuff and gorilla gel at walmart on top of the oil.

that way my hair stays healthy and shinny but the gels keeps it together and it never will frizze.

i tried 100 things and this is the best combo for me. i get people asking me all day if my hair is natural.

and it feels gooooood to say yes!
  • jlebert716
    jlebert716 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I had issues with my curls for SO LONG. But now I love them. Mine take love to get where it is now...

Have you heard of the curly-girl method? Google it. I though "BS" but I swear by it now for curly girls. I dont always not shampoo my hair, but ALL of my shampoos are SULFATE FREE. Very important. All of my conditioners are vegan or all natural. It really helps my hair. All those chemicals in the other stuff works to clean, but strips the natrual oil that curl hair needs to be pretty and not frizzy.

So my daily routine;
    1. Shower, sulfate free shampoo. Condition, and let sit for 1-2 minutes, Rinse with cold water (locks in oils).
    2. Dont brush hair out of shower.
    3. Flip hair upside down, thrown some Argan Oil in it, trying not to touch too much.
    4. Using a hair diffuser, diffuse my hair, upsidedown, for 3-7 minutes. When 1/2 dry throw a tinnnny bit of hairspray. Finish diffusing. DONT dry all the way, leave a little to air dry.

Pretty hair! That isnt crunchy.

This sounds like a lot.. but I can shower and dry hair in less than 30 minutes.

Edit; I used to dye my hair monthly, and straighten without product EVERY day for atleast 2 years.... It took 6 months of TLC to get my hair healthy and curling again.

I LOVE this method. I also really like her deva curl hair gel, it works great and doesnt leave my hair super sticky. I tried a bunch of other gels and sprays and nothing working for me.
  • megster84
    megster84 Posts: 4
    Options
    I've been straightening mine on a regular basis for a few years now, and I have to say I really do miss my curls!! They are still there, just not like before!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I use Pantene curl products - shampoo, conditioner, gel and hairspray. Wash, condition, use a pic comb to flip upside down and comb when really wet. Apply gel and scrunch gently so as not to separate all the thick curls. Scrunch again with a towel. Blow dry with a HUGE diffuser. Throw curl hairspray all throughout and blowdry again... keeps all the curls separate, voluminous and bouncy.
  • kadoodle76
    kadoodle76 Posts: 234
    Options
    lol @ the guy who suggested the Gillette razor...Sometimes I have the urge to do that too!
  • starla5881
    starla5881 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I like the John Frieda Frizz-Ease Dream Curls spray. It gives me nice curl definition with no crunchiness.
  • LizRobot
    LizRobot Posts: 19
    Options
    I have curly hair and I have tried just about every product there is out there, except for the super expensive ones. What I do now is only wash my hair with shampoo once or twice a week, the other times use only conditioner. The less I get it wet, the more it is calmed down and less frizzy. Also, I use a fat curling iron to make big, soft curls and it makes my hair less frizzy as well. It may seem counter intuitive to use a curling iron on curly hair, but it really works for me.
  • danabrash
    danabrash Posts: 67
    Options
    I like the Aveda Be Curly line. My daughter and I both use it. spendy though....
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    A good set of hair clippers will take care of that curly hair real quick. :tongue:
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Garnier is the best stuff out there, and I've tried it all. I have one of the curliest heads of hair out there, so believe me, I know! I use the Curl Sculpting Cream Gel. Results - soft, bouncy curls!

THIS!
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I comb it with a wide tooth comb wet, dry excess water, add a bit of gel, scrunch, add a bit of mousse, scrunch in, and spray with a bit of hairspray. It takes a lot for my hair to hold in high humidity!! Sometimes I use a difuser on low heat to get it dry if I need it!
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I just never straighten it. Curly hair is beautiful! I shampoo only once a week with sulfate-free shampoo. The rest of the time I just rinse and use conditioner. I use Cantu leave-in conditioner from the ethnic hair section. Very cheap. Then I use a styling product such as IC gel (also from the ethnic hair section, super cheap) or Kiehl's silk groom. The most important thing is styling. I watched Ouidad videos on youtube to learn how to style it, and that has made all the difference. it's not hard at all.