Bob Harpers Skinny Rules

Options

Replies

• VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I just sent a sample to my Kindle and will start reading ASAP!
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    It's all about eating healthy. No one needs "rules".... rules seem so restricting
    [/quote]

Maybe don't look at it as rules, but maybe a guideline that could be followed? and it certainly wouldn't do irreparable harm if you did treat them as rules. People are going to find out what works for them.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    These are the rules that I saw on a picture file going around on Pinterest:
    1. drink a large glass of water before every meal--no excuses!
    2. don't drink your calories
    3. Eat protein at every meal--or stay hungry and grouchy
    4. slash your intake of refined flours and grains
    5. Eat 30 to 50 grams of fiber a day
    6. Eat apples and berries every single day. Every. Single. Day.
    7. No carbs after lunch
    8. Learn to read food labels so you know what you are eating.
    9. Stop guessing about portion sizes and get it right--for good.
    10. No more added sweeteners, including artificial ones.
    11. Get rid of those white potatoes.
    12. Make one day a week meatless.
    13. Get rid of fast foods and fried foods.
    14. Eat a real breakfast.
    15. Make your own food and eat alt least ten meals a week at home.
    16. Banish high salt foods.
    17. Eat your vegetables--just do it!
    18. Go to bed hungry.
    19. Sleep right.
    20. Plan one splurge meal a week.

This is all I have to go by right now, and I'm trying to follow them as well as I can. I put my name on the list for this book at the library, so I'm looking forward to reading more about some of the rules.

Really started trying to follow these this week--skipped extra sugar on my oatmeal, letting the peaches be the only sweetener. Had a meatless day yesterday. Limited myself to one cup of coffee (I drink mine with sugar & half and half). It will be tough, but I guess trying (and missing some of the rules) is better than not doing any of it!

You had me until the "no carbs after lunch" and "no white potatoes" malarkey.

I eat fairly clean, and damn, I love my carbs. And I lose about 3 lbs a week on average... not starving myself. I keep my protein over 100g (except yesterday, ugh), my sodium under 1400mg (most days it's under 900mg because I swell like a dead horse in summer), and I drink a gallon of water a day on average (hot green tea included, yum).

It's all about eating healthy. No one needs "rules".... rules seem so restricting (probably because they are)!

Just..... eat.... healthy. Everyone knows how to do that.

ME TOOO! (the potatoes and no carbs after lunch thing.)

Some of these sound like good general principles, and it is probably a good thing for certain types who actually know very little about nutrition or what they are eating, or how much, or ...basically people who are quite clueless. But I think there is NOTHING wrong with potatoes, and the timing of carbs thing I disagree with, plus "go to bed hungry...."? You have to take into account personal differences. If I go to bed what I consider "hungry" I can't sleep right (see the next point) because I am SO hungry I wake up repeatedly with hunger pains.

Other than that I think there's nothing fundamentally wrong with what he's saying...there's a VERY important line there about a SPLURGE meal once a week. I'm assuming that's when you could have the fried food, the potatoes, etc. Personally I wouldn't be able to stick to 20 rules that are this strict for a long period of time, but even if you sort of loosely had them as goals you would probably do well.

I'm not going to do this, though. Too strict for me. :drinker:
  • KatieTee83
    KatieTee83 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Looks like an awesome book. the Preview on Amazon shows you the table of contents with all the rules, but I definitely want to read the chapter behind each one. I love Trainer Bob, he's always been my fave, and I have one of his workout dvds which is also awesome.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    7. No carbs after lunch
    18. Go to bed hungry.
    19. Sleep right.

This is all I have to go by right now, and I'm trying to follow them as well as I can. I put my name on the list for this book at the library, so I'm looking forward to reading more about some of the rules.

Really started trying to follow these this week--skipped extra sugar on my oatmeal, letting the peaches be the only sweetener. Had a meatless day yesterday. Limited myself to one cup of coffee (I drink mine with sugar & half and half). It will be tough, but I guess trying (and missing some of the rules) is better than not doing any of it!

I eat fairly clean, and damn, I love my carbs. And I lose about 3 lbs a week on average... not starving myself. I keep my protein over 100g (except yesterday, ugh), my sodium under 1400mg (most days it's under 900mg because I swell like a dead horse in summer), and I drink a gallon of water a day on average (hot green tea included, yum).

It's all about eating healthy. No one needs "rules".... rules seem so restricting (probably because they are)!

well said.......eat healthy and you wont have to count calories or search for macro nutrient ratio!

A lot of people are here, or started out here not knowing what eating healthy really means, so yes-watching those calories and macros is needed. How many people decided to start eating "healthy" and swapped there 6 a day regular soda habits for diet, replaced their meals with slim fast shakes, lean cuisines and other "fat free" diet foods? The food industry has completely brain washed most people and sadly common sense is not that common! I know nothing about this book, and don't watch the show but if it helps teach others more about healthier choices than a "hundred calorie snack bag" of cookies for an afternoon snack I can't see the harm. <end rant>

Edited: creating new words othersmore :)
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    7. No carbs after lunch
    18. Go to bed hungry.
    19. Sleep right.

well said.......eat healthy and you wont have to count calories or search for macro nutrient ratio!

A lot of people are here, or started out here not knowing what eating healthy really means, so yes-watching those calories and macros is needed. How many people decided to start eating "healthy" and swapped there 6 a day regular soda habits for diet, replaced their meals with slim fast shakes, lean cuisines and other "fat free" diet foods? The food industry has completely brain washed most people and sadly common sense is not that common! I know nothing about this book, and don't watch the show but if it helps teach others more about healthier choices than a "hundred calorie snack bag" of cookies for an afternoon snack I can't see the harm. <end rant>

Edited: creating new words othersmore :)

Question.... sooooooo there are people that actually don't know that water is healthier than soda? Or veggies are healthier and boxed mashed potatoes? I highly doubt that. People KNOW how to eat healthy, they just don't know how to break the dependency upon the unhealthy and "convenient". No book will ever (EVER) teach you how to break that cycle because that comes from within. For most, it's purely psychological and some are just addicted and go through withdrawal without, for example, the extra sugar.

I agree that reading a book might inspire them at first, but the "rules" are not for long-term success. Who likes rule?!?! Not I! I still have pizza and I had 2 oreos yesterday (because I LOOOOOOVE those things), but eating healthy overall allows me to have those things without the guilt or repercussions. People need to save themselves because no one else will. They need to relearn portion control and what works for them, not what some second-rate TV fitness guru tells them to do.

I've always known how to eat healthy, but somehow I managed to get to 274 lbs. How do you think I did that? Eating unhealthy foods excessively. How do you think I lost 34 lbs so far? Eating healthy foods. I still watch my macros because I take pride in my macros, but I don't need to because I eat fairly healthy. And the scale loves me for it.... and I love it right back! <end common sense questioning>
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'm going to reply and not quote because it would just be huge. My argument started with the statement that people shouldn't have to count calories or watch macros if they just ate healthy. Sadly, no I don't think ALL people realize that those convenient foods are not as healthy as natural foods, sadly I know quite a few people like that. Portion control is something else entirely. that I brought up the common sense or lack there of comment.

The term healthy is subjective for most, and what works for one may not work for another. Most likely a book like this will do exactly as you said, inspire. People have to start somewhere. I just dont understand the crazy amount of anger towards a product that is inspiring people to evaluate their current eating habits and start making improvements, maybe it will lead some one new to mfp, because everyone here is an expert. Its a big world out there people, quit hating on something because its different than what you are doing. Different strokes for different folks.
  • usteward
    usteward Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mainelymama
    Options
    I read it and tried to abide by EVERY rule and I found it sooo restricting. If I didnt eat within 15 minutes of waking up (which he reccomends) I felt like a failure and would blow it the rest of the day. Didn't work for me but its good information to know!
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Just called my Library and they have this book so its checked out and Im next on the list to get it :)
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone want to go to bed hungry? Why would anyone want to ever be hungry to begin with? Idiotic. Bob Harper is a fraud. Google about how he really treated contestants on biggest loser and how he pushed them to dehydrate themselves before weigh-ins to compete. Follow Bob Harpers rules if you want the quickest way to an eating disorder.

Total agree. Going to bed hungry and purposely depriving yourself of certain foods isn't a good idea. You can lose weight, eat healthy and enjoy the foods you like, just saying. I read what he did and that's lame. I mean seriously, send them to the hospital with that kind of treatment. Sheesh.

Some of what he says makes sense but its common sense. Of course drink alot of water. Sleep right. But that kind of stuff is a given, dont need Bob Harper to tell you that.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    bro1.png

None of those "rules" have anything to do with weight loss. Eating fruits and veggies are good, but have nothing to do with weight loss. The rest of the list is just a bunch of made up crap that completely ignores science and actual facts.

Eat healthy, get enough protein and fiber, and eat less than you burn. That's it. Specifically what you eat, and when you eat it, is meaningless and has no effect on anything.
  • DrPepperLeigh74
    DrPepperLeigh74 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • Neize
    Neize Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information!
  • pghsteelerfan
    pghsteelerfan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Looks like a reference book i may need to get...especially for the roasted eggplant/Yam salad!!! Yummers!!! so is anyone willing to share that recipe in the meantime???:bigsmile:
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much doing all of these and didn't have to buy or read a book lol
  • cremeetsucre
    Options
    Eating healthy is VERY important obviously, but as for weight loss it really is not a factor. Having a consistent daily calorie deficit is...for months. Maybe even years depending on how overweight you start off at.

I've lost 42 lbs since my highest weight (from a BMI of 28.3 to my current BMI of 19.9) and I did it doing almost exactly the opposite of everything he recommended.

I ate total junk food (candy, chocolate, ice cream, skippy peanut butter, nutella, sugary cereals, cookies, pop-tarts, etc).
    I barely ever eat breakfast because I'm simply not hungry in the morning.
    I definitely eat carbs after lunch.
    If I go to bed hungry I can't sleep. I have to eat right before bed, literally about 30 minutes before or I'm not sleeping.
    If I ate 30 - 50 grams of fiber a day I would NEVER LEAVE MY HOUSE if you know what I mean.

I like the water one though, drinking a lot of water as soon as you wake up and before meals is a good idea, as long as you don't overdo it.

I think really specific rules like his can backfire because you break one and you think you blew it and then you go eat the entire contents of your kitchen pledging to start over again tomorrow.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why wud u want to go to bed hungry?
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    I'll check it out :)