Bob Harpers Skinny Rules

Options

Replies

• mainelymama
    Options
    Why wud u want to go to bed hungry?

His theory is that fat burn starts about 5 hours after your last meal. So if you eat at 5 then by the time you go to bed at 10 you are burning fat and will burn it all night.
  • mainelymama
    Options
    Looks like a reference book i may need to get...especially for the roasted eggplant/Yam salad!!! Yummers!!! so is anyone willing to share that recipe in the meantime???:bigsmile:

It does have nice recipes, I will give him that!:drinker:
  • mabennett
    mabennett Posts: 53
    Options
    bump
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Why wud u want to go to bed hungry?

His theory is that fat burn starts about 5 hours after your last meal. So if you eat at 5 then by the time you go to bed at 10 you are burning fat and will burn it all night.
    The problem with his theory is that the body burns fat 24/7. Every second of every day you are burning fat, doesn't matter when you eat. Like I mentioned earlier, he is either ignorant of the actual science of how the human body operates, or he's blatantly ignoring it to sell his book.
  • mainelymama
    Options
    I agree. All I liked were the recipes LOL
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Honestly people, being healthy is not the same for everybody! Yes, most of us on here know what's healthy and what's not. A lot of us on here are already succeeding with weight loss and eating healthier. BUT there are still people out there who think diet soda is better than water and they NEVER drink water or people who think as long as they eat the chicken burger at mcdonalds once a day they'll lose weight and that a "smoothie" from a fast food restaurant is considered a serving of fruit (even though there is no actual fruit in it...) and that white potatoes are healthy because they're whole foods so they're unlimited, etc. NO, not everybody knows what is healthy. Some people HAVE to be given rules in order to actually cut out all the crap their eating and start eating healthy.

The thing is that with any "rules", once you have taught yourself how to eat properly again, then you can relax the rules to guidelines. That usually works well for most people. Yes, maybe you'd gain a few pounds at first but the trick is to still follow the rules closely, just not like it's written in concrete.

Personally, I never cut out complete foods but I do like to follow my own personal guidelines. In general, he does have a pretty good list of guidelines. I wouldn't mind grabbing a copy of that book to read either way...
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    These are the rules that I saw on a picture file going around on Pinterest:
    1. drink a large glass of water before every meal--no excuses!
    2. don't drink your calories
    3. Eat protein at every meal--or stay hungry and grouchy
    4. slash your intake of refined flours and grains
    5. Eat 30 to 50 grams of fiber a day
    6. Eat apples and berries every single day. Every. Single. Day.
    7. No carbs after lunch
    8. Learn to read food labels so you know what you are eating.
    9. Stop guessing about portion sizes and get it right--for good.
    10. No more added sweeteners, including artificial ones.
    11. Get rid of those white potatoes.
    12. Make one day a week meatless.
    13. Get rid of fast foods and fried foods.
    14. Eat a real breakfast.
    15. Make your own food and eat alt least ten meals a week at home.
    16. Banish high salt foods.
    17. Eat your vegetables--just do it!
    18. Go to bed hungry.
    19. Sleep right.
    20. Plan one splurge meal a week.

I instinctively do #'s 3, 4, 8, 9, 14, 15, 17, and 20. I wish to God I could follow # 19, but I have 2 little kids (sorry BOB).

You don't NEED all these rules to lose weight, but if you follow them, yeah, you'll probably lose weight. Give the guy a break--he can't write a book that says "Eat fewer calories than you burn. The End." He's just trying to make a living! lol. At least none of this advice is harmful. It's too many rules for me personally, but I don't see anything to get your panties in a twist about. Sounds like one of many ways to live a healthy lifestyle--if it appeals to you, great!
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    bump I am reading it now. Bought it a few weeks ago at Sams. A pal posted she was reading it this am, so thought I might hunker down and read this afternoon. Tks for posting. Look forward to reading all remarks. :smile:
  • BuzzyLizzy77
    BuzzyLizzy77 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    bump
    I like the sound of this
  • mabelesparza3
    Options
    Wow this is amazing. Bob Harper is the guy form Biggest Loser right? Had to print these and give them out to my sisters to see if we could possibly attempt this. Planning on going to Barnes and Noble after work
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm surprised at how many of these I actually agree with. Of course, some of them are a bit silly and totally not worth the effort, but for a diet and fitness guru he's not totally full of it.
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SparkleHorse224
    SparkleHorse224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Talk to me about "go to bed hungry." I have woken up hungry in the middle of the night and all bets are off when I can't sleep for thinking of a Nutella sandwich. I've tried drinking water when this happens and then I end up hungry and have to pee.
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I think that the fact that they are "rules" is probably helpful to some people. I am way more likely to do something if there is a well defined standard.
  • cmurray234
    cmurray234 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Going to bed hungry is a terrible idea. Deprivation makes you over-eat.

Also, could somebody explain to me why one should drink a glass of water before eating? To what end? I'm all for staying hydrated, but it's not like water is capable of satiating hunger.
  • bobthesmogs
    bobthesmogs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    When he says 'go to bed hungry' he doesn't mean starving. You have to read the reason behind the rules. They are all very sound. It's been proven many times that people who drink a glass of water right before a meal consume 10-15% less calories for that meal. I think if you can get a look at the book and read it all it will make a lot more sense than just reading the actual rules.
  • jessjpjb
    jessjpjb Posts: 38
    Options
    wanto to read this just dont have time now
  • Cgrnlaw
    Cgrnlaw Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post
  • krawl78
    krawl78 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I'd be interested to see what the book is about.