Freakin Deadlifts

Options

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Friday is supposed to be deadlift day but we're moving so I'm thinking I will be getting enough lifting in. I'm sad. I may need to load up a bar and do one just to do it but I really think I need to skip it. Due to circumstances and BS I'm basically moving a three bedroom house and workshop for a family of four by myself (my wife will help too) so there will actually probably be a LOT of deadlifting over the next two days even if it's not a barbell. I'm not running today either.

Yeah, just skip it you'll be stressing your lower back enough my man. The bar isn't going anywhere. ;)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I'm hip!

New PR - 7,000 reps of between 15 and 200lbs! WOOOO!
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Tried some rack pulls today at about 8 inches up - actually got 585 lbs off the rack, but couldn't lock it out. But hey, it's progress!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I'm hip!

LOL moving...sucks!!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I'm hip!

LOL moving...sucks!!

Yes it do. I finally finished today. I'm exhausted and pretty drunk. I have pain in my forearms in places I didn't know existed. I'm actually not as sore as I should be and I credit the strength training (especially deadlifts) I've been doing for the past few months for that.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Got my wife hooked on deadlifts today - bought her a barbell to work out with at home, and she just kept going up and up, perfect form, smooth as silk.

Ran out of plates at 172 lbs - and she still pulled it like we could add another 30 lbs. And it was her first day doing deads.

Not bad for a 4'10" stay at home mom, huh? I'm so proud of her.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Got my wife hooked on deadlifts today - bought her a barbell to work out with at home, and she just kept going up and up, perfect form, smooth as silk.

Ran out of plates at 172 lbs - and she still pulled it like we could add another 30 lbs. And it was her first day doing deads.

Not bad for a 4'10" stay at home mom, huh? I'm so proud of her.

Fantastic!
  • kingkong123
    kingkong123 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I just started using this - http://tsampa.org/training/scripts/coan_phillipi_deadlift/

Made it through week 2. From what I've read you should try to add anywhere from 25-90+ pounds depending on where you are in your lifting. Most common seems to be 30-60.
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I just started using this - http://tsampa.org/training/scripts/coan_phillipi_deadlift/

Made it through week 2. From what I've read you should try to add anywhere from 25-90+ pounds depending on where you are in your lifting. Most common seems to be 30-60.

i dont get that.... it asks for current max and desired max....

current max 405
    Desired max 600

week 1 1 set at 2 reps of 450 ... lol If my max atm is 405 how the hell am i pulling 2 for 450.
  • kingkong123
    kingkong123 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    haha...I should have specified my comment about adding 30-90 pounds....adding that to your current max seemed to be the reasonable limits that I saw. I'm shooting for a 50 pound increase, but if weeks 3-4-5 are a bit too easy, I'll adjust up....and vice versa if they're too tough. I'm at 450, so I'm in a similar place. 500 seems doable.

I should add that you shouldn't run the program back to back and think you'll keep increasing. Switch it up for a few weeks after.
  • africaa
    africaa Posts: 228
    Options
    they are so awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :) & i like overhead presses
  • JNick77
    Options
    I think the volume of the Westside method is just a little much for me now, so when in doubt I go back to 5/3/1. Cranked out 10 reps @ 315 on the DL today. I might have gotten one or two more but I may have thrown up too. I needed to get a 1RM estimate on my RDL too and did 275 for a set of 5.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    i like overhead presses

Are you out of your mind woman!!! :laugh:
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    i like overhead presses

What he said.

Although OHP is my weakest lift as well.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Yeah, OHP's are tough but one of my favorite upper body exercises. I'm really pushing hard for at least a body weight OHP.
  • mmapags
    Options
    Yeah, OHP's are tough but one of my favorite upper body exercises. I'm really pushing hard for at least a body weight OHP.

Maybe someday but right now that's nothin' but a dream! I'm over on deads and squats but not there yet on bench and even further away on OHP.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I can OHP the bodyweight of a toddler. I think. I don't actually know how much kids weigh.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Some guy complimented me for doing deadlifts the other day. Lol.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    i like overhead presses

What he said.

the weight that I use for OHP is really quite pathetic.
  • mmapags
    Options
    i like overhead presses

What he said.

the weight that I use for OHP is really quite pathetic.

Aw, don't feel bad. I've been training my wife for a little over a month and she still have trouble getting the 45 lb bar up without an assitance spot. She's killing her deads at 90 lbs though!!