Sports fans: Commen Misconceptions about fans of your team?

Options

Replies

• Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Steelers fan here. Most people think we're all just awesome. Oh, wait, that's not a misconception...
  • sab0834
    sab0834 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am a Yankees fan. Need I really go into what people think about us?
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Packer Fan here....I'm thinking most people think we're all drunk rednecks.

I'd say that's probably true for about 60% of the fans (and hell...of the people who live around here!). Beer and Brats are 2 major food groups in the state of Wisconsin!
  • Ke11o
    Ke11o Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm a Tennessee fan.... pretty sure most think we are all inbreed or redneck in the least ..... I can play a mean banjo:ohwell: !!!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    49ers die hard, and I don't really care what they say about the 49er fans.

But Eagles fans...yeah I am sorry, your reputation is 100% merited from numerous misfortunes I have experienced at your wretched stadium. To take it a notch above what raider fans are capable of doing is not something to be proud of.
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of football teams consider the University of Michigan their rivals, but we don't consider them ours. Our rivals are (1) Ohio State and (2) Notre Dame. In general, I wouldn't even consider Michigan State a rival, although lately they've actually been better than us. I am assuming now that we got rid of the mistake RichRod, we will return to our former glory of whomping MSU with regularity.

You mean like last year?

MSU has beaten us the last 6 or so years in a row I believe. That doesn't make them a rival, that makes them a better team in recent history than us. OSU had, until last year, also been on a decent winning streak against us, but that rivalry goes back a lot further than 5 years. We flat out sucked for about 4 years, that doesn't make every team that beat us a rival.

Michigan hasn't beat MSU in football since Mike Hart called them the "little brother" in 2007. I, personally, think of the MSU v UM game as more of a rivalry game these days that UM vs ND since ND hasn't really mattered since about '06 but historically, yes, that is a rivalry. I agree that OSU and UM is a rivalry, it is The Rivalry. The Greatest Rivalry in Sports.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I went to Penn State. Probably don't need to mention the heinous acts of one and the moral failings of a few that have tainted the students, alumni, and university's reputation.
    -wtk

I still am, and always will be, proud to be a Nittany Lion.

I am just about to read the report (shakes head).
  • pxpwop
    pxpwop Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Im a Philly fan....all ppl think about us is we r evil & booed Santa

I think its evil that you support michael vick.

Oh trust me, not many support Michael Vick as a person. As a player yes but 75% of people dislike the guy. I don't support him as a player or person. I went from a die hard Eagles fan to someone who rarely watches an entire game. Once he leaves I will watch like it is religion again.
  • bluefox9er
    Options

Oh trust me, not many support Michael Vick as a person. As a player yes but 75% of people dislike the guy. I don't support him as a player or person. I went from a die hard Eagles fan to someone who rarely watches an entire game. Once he leaves I will watch like it is religion again.

This thing with vick..he did his time, fair enough...But the league shouldn't have allowed him to play. Vick would have been idolised by whichever team he went on to play for. It's just poetic justice he ended up in Philly.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options

But Eagles fans...yeah I am sorry, your reputation is 100% merited from numerous misfortunes I have experienced at your wretched stadium. To take it a notch above what raider fans are capable of doing is not something to be proud of.

THIS IS WHY I LOVE YOU BLUE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a Dallas fan and I couldnt agree with you more on how those eagles fans treat us when we attend a game.. Its sad when you cant bring your son to a game because he is called an *kitten* for wearing the team jersey that HE supports ---not to mention he was a child! Eagles fans lighten up !
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Agreed. I was at the Linc for a game and anyone who went to the portopotties during the tailgate while wearing the opposing team's colors were subjected to having the potties violently shaken. This included young children. The police just stood there and laughed. Philly fans deserve their rep.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

THIS IS WHY I LOVE YOU BLUE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a Dallas fan and I couldnt agree with you more on how those eagles fans treat us when we attend a game.. Its sad when you cant bring your son to a game because he is called an *kitten* for wearing the team jersey that HE supports ---not to mention he was a child! Eagles fans lighten up !

I took my brother to a U. of Florida game once, and they threw a bottle urine at him. He was 4. Honestly though, that kind of behavior is not common, and I don't like to generalize to all fans, but it's sad that someone would behave like that ever, especially to a child.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    This thing with vick..he did his time, fair enough...But the league shouldn't have allowed him to play. Vick would have been idolised by whichever team he went on to play for. It's just poetic justice he ended up in Philly.
    A reformed convict should not be able to reenter the working world? I'm trying to figure out if this is your argument. I don't mean to derail the thread; you are welcome to send me a private message and elaborate if you wish.
    -wtk
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of football teams consider the University of Michigan their rivals, but we don't consider them ours. Our rivals are (1) Ohio State and (2) Notre Dame. In general, I wouldn't even consider Michigan State a rival, although lately they've actually been better than us. I am assuming now that we got rid of the mistake RichRod, we will return to our former glory of whomping MSU with regularity.

You mean like last year?

MSU has beaten us the last 6 or so years in a row I believe. That doesn't make them a rival, that makes them a better team in recent history than us. OSU had, until last year, also been on a decent winning streak against us, but that rivalry goes back a lot further than 5 years. We flat out sucked for about 4 years, that doesn't make every team that beat us a rival.

Michigan hasn't beat MSU in football since Mike Hart called them the "little brother" in 2007. I, personally, think of the MSU v UM game as more of a rivalry game these days that UM vs ND since ND hasn't really mattered since about '06 but historically, yes, that is a rivalry. I agree that OSU and UM is a rivalry, it is The Rivalry. The Greatest Rivalry in Sports.

Obviously ;-)

But to me, a rivalry isn't about who is relevant nationally. Ohio State didn't matter nationally last year because they're a bunch of f*** ups, but that didn't lessen my pleasure of beating them, and being there to see it!
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    Last time I checked, there wasn't a welcome sign on the entrance to the Linc.

If you don't like what happens here, your choice is to stay home. Is it what it is.
  • pxpwop
    pxpwop Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    As an Eagle fan I am ashamed and embarrassed at our idiot fans. Sadly, there are more then just a handful, I know that.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

If you don't like what happens here, your choice is to stay home. Is it what it is.

So they deserve the reputation, then?
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options

Well, I just don't see it right that a convicted felon be able to be a billionare sports player who is idolized by children. He is a terible role model, and NOT a QB I would ever support.
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options

So they deserve the reputation, then?

Philadelphia sports fans are passionate and die-hard. Are there idiots in the crowd? Yes, but there are idiot fans in every stadium in this country. All I'm saying is that if you don't like what you hear about the things that go on in our stadiums, then don't visit...that way you have nothing to complain about.

Taunting kids, throwing snowballs at Jesus and booing Santa...these are aberrations. If we, as fans, are going to get pigeoned-holed because of few bad things that have happened, then so be it. Stay out and then you don't have to deal with it. The media has made this worse than it really is...just like they do with everything else.
  • bluefox9er
    Options
    A reformed convict should not be able to reenter the working world? I'm trying to figure out if this is your argument. I don't mean to derail the thread; you are welcome to send me a private message and elaborate if you wish.
    -wtk

Well, being an NFL QB carries with it considerably more social responsibility than working in an office or a grocery store. The NFL is a brand and If I was managing a brand like that, someone with an animal cruelty conviction on their resume wouldn't be my choice of re-enforcing the brand.

Not saying Vick shouldn't be allowed to work, just not in the NFL.

Much in the same way an armed robber would be not considered for a job working at a bank.