Sports fans: Commen Misconceptions about fans of your team?

Options

Replies

• ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Well, I just don't see it right that a convicted felon be able to be a billionare sports player who is idolized by children. He is a terible role model, and NOT a QB I would ever support.
    I still don't understand this argument, but for what it is worth his finances are almost entirely controlled by the bankruptcy court that insists that he settle his debts. He's on a court-mandated budget through 2015. He still owes about $19M to creditors and his '$100M contract' [only] held $40M in guaranteed money. Sure, that's more money than most of us will ever touch, but after agent fees, bankruptcy lawyer fees, taxes, etc., he will probably only have about $10-12M of that money.

On top of that, lawyers are still suing Vick's immediate family for about $5M in gifts he gave before entering bankruptcy. Presuming that is paid back, he will take home about $5M over these 5 years. He's lost most of his endorsements [though he's recently gotten some back]. Relative to an athlete of his stature, he brings home very little.

I'm not saying this is unfair. This is part of his punishment for the crimes he committed. I am personally not a Vick fan [more of a sports-driven decision although I am a dog person], but to say that he should've been relegated to a career of stamping license plates after serving his time and continuing to deal with the repercussions of his actions is asinine and an affront to the US Legal System.

Again, sorry for hijacking your thread, OGG.
    -wtk
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Last time I checked, there wasn't a welcome sign on the entrance to the Linc.

If you don't like what happens here, your choice is to stay home. Is it what it is.

So they deserve the reputation, then?

Philadelphia sports fans are passionate and die-hard. Are there idiots in the crowd? Yes, but there are idiot fans in every stadium in this country. All I'm saying is that if you don't like what you hear about the things that go on in our stadiums, then don't visit...that way you have nothing to complain about.

Taunting kids, throwing snowballs at Jesus and booing Santa...these are aberrations. If we, as fans, are going to get pigeoned-holed because of few bad things that have happened, then so be it. Stay out and then you don't have to deal with it. The media has made this worse than it really is...just like they do with everything else.

I'm only talking about what I have seen in that place. I believe others referenced personal experiences. In my instance, it was a rather large crowd with the police doing nothing to prevent it. Seems much less than a few idiots in the crowd.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options

If you don't like what happens here, your choice is to stay home. Is it what it is.

Well said Doorki !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reputations are CREATED by ones actions !!!!!!!! they act like animals then wonder why they are called that ! Please dont give me the whole its a philly thing .. Oh and I will admit I am a huge phillies fan and you can clearly see the difference in a phillies game and an eagles game...the Football fans are the worst I have ever been around. Sorry Philly , just speaking the truth !
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    :blushing: is this thread for US posters only?

I'm a Liverpool Football Club fan! You'll never walk alone. :heart:
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of football teams consider the University of Michigan their rivals, but we don't consider them ours. Our rivals are (1) Ohio State and (2) Notre Dame. In general, I wouldn't even consider Michigan State a rival, although lately they've actually been better than us. I am assuming now that we got rid of the mistake RichRod, we will return to our former glory of whomping MSU with regularity.

You mean like last year?

MSU has beaten us the last 6 or so years in a row I believe. That doesn't make them a rival, that makes them a better team in recent history than us. OSU had, until last year, also been on a decent winning streak against us, but that rivalry goes back a lot further than 5 years. We flat out sucked for about 4 years, that doesn't make every team that beat us a rival.

Michigan hasn't beat MSU in football since Mike Hart called them the "little brother" in 2007. I, personally, think of the MSU v UM game as more of a rivalry game these days that UM vs ND since ND hasn't really mattered since about '06 but historically, yes, that is a rivalry. I agree that OSU and UM is a rivalry, it is The Rivalry. The Greatest Rivalry in Sports.

Obviously ;-)

But to me, a rivalry isn't about who is relevant nationally. Ohio State didn't matter nationally last year because they're a bunch of f*** ups, but that didn't lessen my pleasure of beating them, and being there to see it!

The teams have to be relevant nationally with a certain amount of regularity or no one will care. Technically, UM and Minnesota compete in a rivalry game for The Little Brown Jug, but no one cares. Why? Because Minnesota hasn't been nationally relevant in years. They've had a good season here and there, namely 2003, but still no one cares.

Want a common misconception about Ohio State fans: they're a bunch of f*** ups. There it is.

Good thing you enjoyed it because UM is going to start this season with a curb stomping from Alabama and end it by getting whomped by the Buckeyes, f""" ups or not.
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options

Well said Doorki !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reputations are CREATED by ones actions !!!!!!!! they act like animals then wonder why they are called that ! Please dont give me the whole its a philly thing .. Oh and I will admit I am a huge phillies fan and you can clearly see the difference in a phillies game and an eagles game...the Football fans are the worst I have ever been around. Sorry Philly , just speaking the truth !

Lincoln Financial Field holds 68532 people. I assure you that not all of us deserve the reputation that has, once again, been over-exaggerated by the media because of a few *kitten*.
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I have always been a huge Chicago sports and Blackhawks fan. I went to a Catholic HS and would always wear hockey jerseys on 'out of uniform' days because I was obsessed. I had Wolves season tickets (the minor league team- MUCH closer to my house and much cheaper) when the Hawks were not televised and were terrible, but I've always been a Hawks fan. Now that the Hawks are much better, there are a LOT more people interested in hockey. I hate when people assume we are all 'bandwagon' fans- which I get a lot because I am female as well. I've loved hockey since I was a kid and kept up with the Hawks even in their worst times.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of football teams consider the University of Michigan their rivals, but we don't consider them ours. Our rivals are (1) Ohio State and (2) Notre Dame. In general, I wouldn't even consider Michigan State a rival, although lately they've actually been better than us. I am assuming now that we got rid of the mistake RichRod, we will return to our former glory of whomping MSU with regularity.

You mean like last year?

MSU has beaten us the last 6 or so years in a row I believe. That doesn't make them a rival, that makes them a better team in recent history than us. OSU had, until last year, also been on a decent winning streak against us, but that rivalry goes back a lot further than 5 years. We flat out sucked for about 4 years, that doesn't make every team that beat us a rival.

besides MSU which teams are you talking about? i don't think there's a list of teams lined up thinking they're Michigan's rival. i think Michigan fans on a whole think a lot more highly of their team's place in football history than anyone else does. nobody cares how many wins you racked up before 1900. you have won 1 national championship in the last 60 years and that was a gift.
  • FULTZ10
    FULTZ10 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    plus the SEC has gotten very tough.

Why yes it has. Go CATS!
  • Sbehlmer
    Sbehlmer Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Steelers fan here. Most people think we're all just awesome. Oh, wait, that's not a misconception...

That's the absolute truth right there!!! :):):)
  • rdzilla
    rdzilla Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    No one here has seen anything that merits a rough crowd until you've been to a West Ham v. Millwall match. Ever watch "Green Street Hooligans", the movie? Yeah, that's who the movie is about and it is worse in person. I went in 2009 and it put any U.S. sporting event to shame in terms of lewd and crude acts - and I'm an Philadelphia sports fan!
  • gary8964
    gary8964 Posts: 69
    Options
    Packer Fan here....I'm thinking most people think we're all drunk rednecks.

I'd say that's probably true for about 60% of the fans (and hell...of the people who live around here!). Beer and Brats are 2 major food groups in the state of Wisconsin!

as for the greatest rivalry in ALL of sports: Packers-vs- Bears (even when both teams stink). Oh..., and da Bears still s__k.
  • gary8964
    gary8964 Posts: 69
    Options

I'd say that's probably true for about 60% of the fans (and hell...of the people who live around here!). Beer and Brats are 2 major food groups in the state of Wisconsin!

as for the greatest rivalry in ALL of sports: Packers-vs- Bears (even when both teams stink). Oh..., and da Bears still s__k.
  • BeckaT79
    BeckaT79 Posts: 216
    Options
    die hard cleveland fan.......cant stand when nationally cleveland as a city and people are considered losers because the sports teams lose.....northeast ohio is an awesome place to live

Agreed!! Also we have had some pretty good players and some pretty kick butt teams (Cleveland Indians 95,96,97... Cleveland Cavs the Lebron years (a lot of credit to the awesome team behind him), and Hills and Cribbs need I say more) Our issue is we have a great team and we start getting strong and then boom the team is traded off or leaves to take their talents elsewhere (what a douche). Either way we are die hard fans so when people think of Cleveland fans, look at the crap we have been through and the teams we have supported through every heartbreak and know that if anything we are some seriously devoted people :-)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

You mean like last year?

Michigan hasn't beat MSU in football since Mike Hart called them the "little brother" in 2007. I, personally, think of the MSU v UM game as more of a rivalry game these days that UM vs ND since ND hasn't really mattered since about '06 but historically, yes, that is a rivalry. I agree that OSU and UM is a rivalry, it is The Rivalry. The Greatest Rivalry in Sports.

Obviously ;-)

But to me, a rivalry isn't about who is relevant nationally. Ohio State didn't matter nationally last year because they're a bunch of f*** ups, but that didn't lessen my pleasure of beating them, and being there to see it!

The teams have to be relevant nationally with a certain amount of regularity or no one will care. Technically, UM and Minnesota compete in a rivalry game for The Little Brown Jug, but no one cares. Why? Because Minnesota hasn't been nationally relevant in years. They've had a good season here and there, namely 2003, but still no one cares.

Want a common misconception about Ohio State fans: they're a bunch of f*** ups. There it is.

Good thing you enjoyed it because UM is going to start this season with a curb stomping from Alabama and end it by getting whomped by the Buckeyes, f""" ups or not.

I don't think the Buckeye fans are all f-ups. But the players and coaching staff were, and if you deny that than you are as bad as them. Paying players in cash or other rewards is cheating in the NCAA. When a Michigan basketball team got caught doing it, and when USC football got caught doing it, both schools received much harsher punishments than OSU. You should all be thankful for that and to have gotten rid of a classless, cheating coach. The reason I am a fan of college and not pro is that the game is the motivation, not money.

Now, there are fans on both sides that are total asshats. I attended every home game last year, and the OSU fans were by and far the most disgusting in terms of behavior and the way they treated our stadium and tailgating zones. But there were a lot of fans who didn't do anything out of line either.

(edited to fix quotation marks)
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

WELLLLLLL......that might be true. I am from MN.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

I thought Packers vs Vikings were the biggest rivalry.
  • pxpwop
    pxpwop Posts: 704 Member
    Options

Lincoln Financial Field holds 68532 people. I assure you that not all of us deserve the reputation that has, once again, been over-exaggerated by the media because of a few *kitten*.

She is right, the media blows it up and makes it much worse than it is. I bet none of you ever heard about the Eagles fan who was beaten down in Washington after a game inside the stadium. I forget if he was put in a comma or killed but no one talks about that. It never made the news. Point being it happens everywhere.

Philly is a lighting rod for these things because it is the EASY story. I see nothing wrong with booing or taunting opposing teams fans. It's all part of the fun and experience. Of course there is a fine line and some of our great fans needs to walk that line more then they do. If you can't take the heat and a couple boo's then get out of the kitchen.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

I thought Packers vs Vikings were the biggest rivalry.

When they play it's a pretty big deal, but when it's the Packers/Bears....it's unbelievable. I think because of the history of the rivalry. The Vikes are a pretty new team compared to the Packers and Bears.

And yes...da Bears still suck! :wink:
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options

OK over-exaggerated..... that like saying Michael jackson was over -exaggerated as a man who loved little boys...or like Whitney houston was over-exaggerated as a drug user...listen if people are saying the same thing about people for years upon years..then its usually true, Make no mistake about it Phillies-chic you are all very die-hard fans but all of us are passionate about our favorite teams, we just go about showing it in a different way. I commend you for staying loyal and true to your team however You have to admit that parking lot and stadium on game day is out of control with offensive outburst to any opposing team fan. I am first in line for a good smack talk but sometimes it can get out of hand.

Are YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!