body fat %

Options
McBully4
McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
So where are you and where do you want to be?

Guys?
menbodyfat2.jpg
malebodyfat11.jpg

Ladies too?
womenbodyfat3.jpg
womenbodyfat1.jpg

I'm at 22.5% and would love to get to 13%ish
*I think i look better than the 20-22% guy in this pic

Here is an interesting article where I stole these pictures.
http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/

Replies

• sophiedalton22
    sophiedalton22 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    this is crazy the 11 to 12 percent woman one is photoshoped??... most sprinters are between 10-13 and they dont look that muscular.. wow
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    i am around 31% but would like to be somewhere in the 17-21% range.
    for me.. i personally like someone in the 14-15% range.. :)
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    this is crazy the 11 to 12 percent woman one is photoshoped??... most sprinters are between 10-13 and they dont look that muscular.. wow

It depends on the person...you can be extremely muscled or extremely thin and be the same body fat percentage.

A couple weeks ago I measured around 29% body fat (although I think I look a bit better than the model at 25-26%, because of my weight distribution) and I'm shooting for somewhere around the 18-20% mark. I'll see how I look when I get down to 20ish and go from there!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    in the article there is a link to another article ( http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages ) that people with identical body fat % that look totally different
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 19.5%.
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    My BMI is 19.5%.

BMI and body fat % are 2 completely different things. One is a ratio based on your weight vs your height and the other is the measure of your lean body mass vs your body fat.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    My current goal is to get down to around 15%, though based on the photos, I might even try for as low as 10% once I get there.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    Options
    My BMI is 19.5%.

BMI and body fat % are 2 completely different things. One is a ratio based on your weight vs your height and the other is the measure of your lean body mass vs your body fat.
    How do I figure this out, then? Is there a calculator online?
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I hav no idea what mine is - have tried a couple of machines and one said 17% and the next said 12%. Would like to get to probably around the 14/15% one. More than bodyfat though - just to look like that!
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    My BMI is 19.5%.

How do I figure this out, then? Is there a calculator online?

There are a few ways, some more accurate than others. You can have it measured via calipers or via one of those hand held electro-magnetic things by a trainer/doctor (they offer free body comp tests at my gym, where I had my first one done), find a place where you can be measured via bod pod in your area (can be expensive, but most accurate) or this nifty calculator I found that takes your measurements and averages the various body fat measurement systems to give you a pretty close estimation. http://www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    I am actually shooting for 13% but that may be unrealistic because I am at my goal weight and don't think I can build the necessary muscle, lose the fat and maintain weight. I am probably around 17% right now.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    must be around 11% but will go back down to around 7-8% :D
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    Options
    ...or this nifty calculator I found that takes your measurements and averages the various body fat measurement systems to give you a pretty close estimation. http://www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html
    Thanks! When I get home from work, I will take my measurements.
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I was at around 15% last year but with a round of Insanity ( = a lot of sweat!!) and really watching what I eat I got down just under 10% recently.
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options

...or this nifty calculator I found that takes your measurements and averages the various body fat measurement systems to give you a pretty close estimation. http://www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html
    Thanks! When I get home from work, I will take my measurements.

No prob! I take my measurements once a month and use that same calculator, pretty accurate as far as I can tell.
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    Think im around 9-10% (not sure my calipers will be here on saturday), I want to be about 7-8%
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Putting myself through the realistic baby steps goal system.

Dreaming 5%-10% is where I want to end up.

Right now 27% not pleased with myself but I thank a broken foot, knee surgery and my wifes epic cooking for that.

Short term 5% goals. Reach one reset and progress. I was at 28% last week and 27% today so it's a start. I was 31% 3 weeks ago.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I'm at about 23% and would like to be 18-20%. I do look like I'm about halfway the 20 and 25% models in terms of looks right now.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    10%, but that's hard for me to hold all year around. Right now about 16%.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    somewhere between 16 and 18%