Husband is skeptical

Options

Replies

• Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    So him wrong! My boyfriend was the same way when I said I was going on a diet... granted, it was the 7th time I said it in the last 7 months, but still. When he went, "oh, really, again? Another diet?" I felt obligated to do it and prove him wrong!

He's going to have to eat his words while you're eating your vegetables :)
  • annaebs
    annaebs Posts: 5
    Options
    PROVE HIM WRONG :) !
  • 2_young_2B_old
    2_young_2B_old Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Amen all of the above! Kick *kitten* prove him wrong and tell him to stick it.
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    Stick to it and prove him wrong, you can do it!!
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    sometimes spouse sabotage efforts because they are afraid of the changes that occur or are jealous! He might be afraid of how well you will do and that he may lose you!! Prove him wrong on all accounts.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    When people believe you cant do something... thats when you HAVE TO.
  • RejoicingL
    RejoicingL Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Sorry he is not being supportive. I think mine is a bit skeptical, too. Just give him time, the way I see it is we've probably given them plenty of reasons to be skeptical with previous false starts. Hang in there!
  • jmoralesx5
    jmoralesx5 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    As you can tell, there are many people to encourage you here. You CAN do this. My family isn't doing my diet either and they try to jokingly offer me foods they know I can't eat, but they don't doubt me so I don't know what it must feel like. Be courageous and use his negative energy as your fuel to better YOURSELF!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! He says this because I am A.D.D. and sometimes I start projects and get gung-ho and don't finish them. But this isn't a project. This is my life.

I like the comment about being Italian. hahaha.... I'm not Italian but I've had Italian friends, so I know what you mean. :wink:

I do have strong willpower though. He does *want* me to succeed. I was 135 pounds when we got married, and I got up to 263, nearly doubling in size. He is just skeptical. He thinks I will give up.

Thanks again! This is why I love this site. I am so glad I found it!
    :happy: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I can understand where you're coming from as well. My sisternlaw always tells me, "you're so pretty" "why don't you try harder to lose the weight?" And my hubby says..."are you going to stay on this path or are you going to do it for a bit and quit again?". UGH! I wanna prove them all wrong, hence why I'm here!
  • fitnfancy80
    fitnfancy80 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Use his skepticism as motivation to PROVE HIM WRONG!

What she said. Believe in yourself.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    When I announced I was going to join Weight Watchers (again) 2 1/2 years ago, I got a similar reaction from my brother. He rolled his eyes and said something to the effect of "here we go again". I get it, I'd tried multiple times to lose weight with short term, if any, success but that reaction still stung! It ticked me off enough to keep a thought in the back of my head to prove him wrong. :) Thankfully my hubby was and continues to be super supportive.

Honestly though, I don't like the idea of proving someone wrong being one's full motivation because what happens if they swich gears and start supporting you? Do you then give up because that lack of support is no longer motivation? Hopefully not but my point is, do it for yourself and for your health and forget about what everyone else thinks.
  • JilianneNicole
    JilianneNicole Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I do this everyday for all those people who said I couldn't or that I would quit. My husband being one of them. Everytime I cross that finish line in a race I think to myself that is for all those people who said someone my size can't run or finish 3 miles. It's the best feeling in the world. People who do that have their own insecurities! They don't want you to change because they are worried or nervous or unhappy with themselves. Own it girl! Do what you have to do and prove them all wrong. Show them just how strong you are. Being healthy is sexy. Have enough faith in yourself that you can succeed. The only person stopping you is yourself! Good luck! If you would like another friend...anyone...feel free to add me!
  • mistylovesmusic
    Options
    Don't let him rain on your parade! A lot of personal trainers and health experts who've struggled with weight loss will tell you that they weren't successful the first time. Some even will tell you that it took more than a few times. Everyone gets burnt out so the most important thing for you to do is believe in yourself, ignore his negativity, pay attention to the "burn out" phase and push through it. You can do it! Just be faithful and keep your goal in sight!
  • lleesmann
    lleesmann Posts: 41
    Options
    You've got this, you just need to keep pushing and moving forward. Don't forget to celebrate your small triumphs (that's what I have to keep reminding myself to do)!
  • superrican01
    Options
    MY HUSBAND WAS THE SAME WAY FOR A LONG TIME, BUT WE NEED TO BE STRONG AND PROVE THEM WRONG.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Nevermind what he thinks, what do YOU think? No one else can make this journey for you, so no one else's opinion matters. If you want it badly enough then you'll go to it and make it happen.

When I get really tired on a run or bike ride there's a phrase I use to talk myself through it: The voice inside your head that says that you can't do this is a liar! It reminds me that I'm stronger than I think I am, and helps me get to the next level.

Go for it! You've got lots of support from people on here that have been where you are now and know it can be done. Prove yourself right!
  • ccburn5
    ccburn5 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Prove him wrong and yourself right! When the pounds start to fall off don't say anything, just let him (and any other non believer) see the results and eat it!!!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    who cares what he thinks? men suck.
    you have everyone on mfp to encourage you. once you get all sexy you can dump his *kitten* for not believing in you =]
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    you must not be Italian- we accomplish so many things on spite alone! All I need is for someone to tell me I can't do somthing!!!

You can do this- prove him wrong!

Or Irish. Spite too works best for me.