Public Humiliation When You're Obese

Options
124»

Replies

• ShannaHeidelberg
    Options
    Been there, done that! Very embarrassing moment I'll never forget. I didn't see anyone laughing but it was very humiliating anyway.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I think obese people are not respected in society. Our opinions matter less. We are perceived as weak links. We do not have any public integrity, and unlike other issues that can be hidden from the public masses, obesity is bared to the world for all to see and ridicule. Where is your credibility when you always say you're trying to control your weight and dont, (or even gain)? I'll tell you where it is..... down the hopper!

so true
  • RaeJones77
    RaeJones77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    unsa48 wrote: »
    I remember this one time I was on a theme park ride and I sat down in the middle of a row of seats but they couldn't start the ride because the safety locks on my seat wouldn't close properly. I was told I couldn't ride it and I was told to leave while my friends stayed on. The people who told me to leave were smirking and when they thought I wasn't looking, they laughed.

It was one of the worst days of my life.

I have had the very same thing happen to me
  • RaeJones77
    Options
    I have been trying for a week to eat healthy and exercise every day...yes I know only a week...but at work we had a carry in and someone brought frosted cookies...I wanted one so bad...I made the mistake of commenting to two of my very slim co workers that I wanted a cookie so bad that I was thinking about chewing one up and spitting it out...they made me feel so ashamed for saying that and made fun of me alot...It really hurt my feelings to not have them understand that while they can probably eat a whole box of the damn things that it was a big deal for me to even have one...such a rotten day...I went home and cried
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    ZOMBIE thread alert! 2012!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    OP, I honestly think you may be projecting some of your inner feelings onto "society." I don't find any evidence that the opinions of obese people are discounted, and I was obese for a large portion of my adult life. You may feel that your integrity isn't what you would like it to be, but I can't think of an instance where I questioned somebody's integrity simply because of their weight.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I commend the effort of the person who managed to dig this nearly 3 year old thread back up from the grave lol.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    I commend the effort of the person who managed to dig this nearly 3 year old thread back up from the grave lol.
    Dangit!
    Didn't realize it was necro'd.
  • AllTheNoms
    AllTheNoms Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Can we please bring back the 'Best of' of the zombie threads?! I want gifs!
  • kelroberts21
    kelroberts21 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Definitely be proud of yourself for working out! I've lost 55 lbs through diet/strength training (and cardio when my trainer forces me...ha!), and one important thing I have learned about myself is just because I've lost weight, doesn't mean I necessarily love myself anymore now than I did then. What I am trying to say is, not only work on your health, but work on loving your body as it is in every single stage of your weight loss. This helps your self-confidence now and in the future. I'm smaller than I have ever been, but because of my low body image for so long, still can find trouble spots and problems. Long answer to say, you are AWESOME for working on your body (whether for health or vanity or both) and respecting yourself for that will not only allow others to respect you more, but motivate you on your journey!
  • RaeJones77
    Options
    OP, I honestly think you may be projecting some of your inner feelings onto "society." I don't find any evidence that the opinions of obese people are discounted, and I was obese for a large portion of my adult life. You may feel that your integrity isn't what you would like it to be, but I can't think of an instance where I questioned somebody's integrity simply because of their weight.

If this was in response to my comment:

1. I am new here and dont fully understand exactly how to communicate in this so called "community"
    2. If this is the kind of support you give when someone opens their heart up...not interested.
    Keep your "community" I'll do it myself...nobody questions my integrity.
  • jennifer_417
    edited February 2015
    Options
    RaeJones77 wrote: »

If this was in response to my comment:

1. I am new here and dont fully understand exactly how to communicate in this so called "community"
    2. If this is the kind of support you give when someone opens their heart up...not interested.
    Keep your "community" I'll do it myself...nobody questions my integrity.

See, the thing about "community" is that we all have different experiences, points of view and ways of thinking. My comment was not mean or unsupportive. I was just trying to give another perspective. And, actually, it wasn't in response to your comment, it was addressed to the OP (Original Poster, or, the person who started the thread.)