Marriage & meals

Options

Replies

• debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    HA HA HA HA HA....No. LOL.

I do all of the cooking for both of us. I'll shop to make stuff for him and I'll shop to make what I need in my nutrition plan. It's a win win :bigsmile:
  • healthylife1010
    Options
    I'm not married yet but my boyfriend hates grocery shopping and making lists. He can eat and eat and not get fat. He eats everything and anything he wants so he doesn't care one bit about it.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    My wife does the shopping, I do the cooking. Very good reason for that is that I can't stand shopping, for anything. I walk into a store, grab exactly what I need, walk out. Only exception is alcohol and electronics. My wife loves shopping, though. So I punish her for that.

Oh, the wife can't cook and my one contribution to the shopping list is usually of an alcoholic nature.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Heck no! And he is not allowed to go to the store with me either.

LMAO!! Sometimes I feel that way about my husband, bless his heart. He'll try sneaking stuff into the cart that isn't on the list, like junk food or olives or jarred jalapeños... UGH! We go together because we go to the commissary, but to get it done faster. He takes half the list and goes and retrieves the items we need. He also likes tallying up how much we're spending as we go... which is a bit annoying since it takes him a minute, but it's cute :) I love him there, but I can get it done a lot faster without him! :wink:
  • jillianlovesyarn
    jillianlovesyarn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I prepare our grocery list but I do solicit his feedback. My husband really will eat anything but some things he enjoys eating and some things he, well, just eats. He does all the grocery shopping, though, which is great.
  • famc17
    famc17 Posts: 4
    Options
    :smile:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Nope. The kitchen and most of what is in it is MY domain. He doesn't cook....just pays for the food. What is bought is up to me.....except for his candy. :)
  • perthpog
    perthpog Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My husband works a little less than me, and as he is supportive of my new work out regime he cooks 5-6 days a week, and if we are home on the weekends I’ll do the cooking.. that being said, he usually likes to do the groceries as he thinks I spend too much and likes to control our menu for the week. He is such a good healthy cook, never uses oil, tries to cook clean and is very creative in the kitchen!! He is also a clean freak!! By reading other responses, look like I take him a little too much for granted. I do things like, kill the spiders and assemble BBQ’s etc!! haha
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I am the CEO of the household. I will honor special requests on occasion. If it was up to my husband we would be eating all red meat all the time. I weaned him & my daughter off whole milk. No white bread. It is whole grain/ wheat staple products from bread to rice.More fruits & vegetables. My motto is I cooked eat it & I am not here to kill you! I plan the menu & do the bulk of the grocery shopping.
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    No way. If that were the case we would only have Cheese-its, bacon, and ice cream. He eats what I cook (thank goodness he's easy to feed) and will try some of the off the wall stuff I attempt to fix. :happy:
  • moonspells
    moonspells Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky too...we plan the menu and shop together and then he cooks. I do the clean up.

P.S. I can kill my own bugs but when it comes to fixing stuff and gross stuff like garbage, I turn all 1950s housewife! :oD

P.P.S. I really AM lucky because he's doing this whole journey with me which is making it 10000% easier and is often what keeps me going...and honest! <3
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    ummm no
    he's a dude
    his job is to kill bugs,fix stuff and take out the garbage

^^THIS!!!^^

Mine could care less about a grocery list. We go together about half of the time (and spend 2x as much) but he does a lot of the cooking. His job is to work hard and make enough money so that he doesn't need to concern himself with grocery lists and errands! =)

You know, it's silly, because in reality my marriage is a somewhat traditional one (although both of us work), but this attitude still rankles. Men are adults, and completely capable of doing their share around the house!

Call me old fashioned, and you would be right. If we were in the position for me to be a stay at home mom and wife, he would allow it in a heart beat. I work 40 hours a week, he works 50-70 hours a week. When something needs to be fixed around the house, he does it. When a "mans job" comes up, he does it. He never expects or even asks me to unclog a drained sink, paint a room or caulk a bathroom. Who am I to complain about helping around the house? My post was meant to imply that he could care less about a list, or what he eats. As long as he has food in front of him when he is hungry (and a pleasant wife to come home to!) than he is happy.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I am the CEO of the household. I will honor special requests on occasion. If it was up to my husband we would be eating all red meat all the time. I weaned him & my daughter off whole milk. No white bread. It is whole grain/ wheat staple products from bread to rice.More fruits & vegetables. My motto is I cooked eat it & I am not here to kill you! I plan the menu & do the bulk of the grocery shopping.

Yep! I try to, but I don't force the changes on my husband. Usually he doesn't even notice!
  • seantugers2
    Options
    yes... we shop together aswell
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    hahahah no. We wing it
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    ummm no
    he's a dude
    his job is to kill bugs,fix stuff and take out the garbage

^^THIS!!!^^

Mine could care less about a grocery list. We go together about half of the time (and spend 2x as much) but he does a lot of the cooking. His job is to work hard and make enough money so that he doesn't need to concern himself with grocery lists and errands! =)

You know, it's silly, because in reality my marriage is a somewhat traditional one (although both of us work), but this attitude still rankles. Men are adults, and completely capable of doing their share around the house!

meh, to each their own...
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I plan, shop, and cook.

He eats and cleans the kitchen.

Works out well for everyone involved!

^^^ agree! This is why we r MFP sisters!
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky too...we plan the menu and shop together and then he cooks. I do the clean up.

P.S. I can kill my own bugs but when it comes to fixing stuff and gross stuff like garbage, I turn all 1950s housewife! :oD

P.P.S. I really AM lucky because he's doing this whole journey with me which is making it 10000% easier and is often what keeps me going...and honest! <3

what ever floats your boat! LOL kill those bugs girl!
  • VirtuousVal
    VirtuousVal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Do your Husbands help make grocery lists each week?

I am very blessed to have a husband that will go to the grocery store with me. He exceeds my expectations in everything.
    He is a super great cook. He willingly cooks for us 2-4 times a week. He loves to grill outside. My daughter sometimes prefers his cooking over mine. LOL! Not that I am a bad cook!
    We are both on this "LifeStyle" and weight loss journey together. He is very health conscious and knows what are the healthier foods to eat. Although, he needs to have his BLUE BELL icecream. He has a faster metabolism than I do he has more calorie allowances & is fine with more indulgences for himself. Our minds are on the same page as far as what we are now going to require for our weight loss. Although lately, we or I should say I make announcements if a particular item/ items are off limits and are "MINE" for my special foods.

I will also ask him to go to the store to get an item and he is actually very good about getting the exact item that I described every time. I never have to worry if he cannot find the item. He will ask for assistance/help at the store...and if cannot find it he will call and ask if there is another substitute that I can get by with.

We do our grocery shopping together. My husband will know all of the bargains, and reads the grocery sale fliers every week. He has a very good memory if something is on sale at another store. I trust him to pick out the meat, he chooses the best cuts and best meat deals. He organizes the grocery cart in an orderly manner. At the grocery store he loads the groceries on the checkout counter. He makes guesses at how much we spend and he is always within 10-15 dollars of call it correctly.
    He loads the bags into the cart. He loads the bags into the car...and tells me that "I got this" So I just go sit in the car and wait for him to finish loading the car. He carries everything in the house. He also helps to put away all of the groceries.

HE is MY MAN! GOD has blessed me with a "GOOD MAN"!
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Of course. He goes to the supermarket too. We need to eat/. He's part of the we. <shrug>

Also I can take the bins out too sometimes. It's crazy how we live.