Do you workout every single day?

Options
I heard it's good to take little breaks ... but is working out every day a good idea too?

Replies

• jealous_loser
    Options
    I do different stuff most days.

3 days a week is Couch to 5K (usually Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday)
    2 days a week is Strength training (usually Monday and Saturday)
    Once or twice a week I do tennis (usually on a run day)
    And Tabata class on Wednesdays.

I kinda alternate what I am doing.
  • healthylife1010
    Options
    nop!! I work out 5-6 days a week and take 1-2 days off. I need the break in between. Keeps me sane.
  • famc17
    famc17 Posts: 4
    Options
    What is Couch to 5K? :smile:
  • morganmay92
    Options
    Give your body 1-2 day rest a week
    I work out 6 days a week the maximum and for min. is 4.
  • taytaylynn3
    taytaylynn3 Posts: 601
    Options
    One rest day is good! i work out at least 6 days a week. If you feel the need to work out for 7 i wouldn't workout as hard as you do every other day.
  • takingnameskickingbutt
    takingnameskickingbutt Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    every.single.day

maybe one day off in three weeks ...
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    What is Couch to 5K? :smile:

It is a running program. I am on week 5 :) It builds you up from never having run a day in your life to running hopefully a 5K run. I am currently able to run 6 min in a row as of tonight. I started about 6 weeks ago thinking 1 min was hard.
  • pakittykat11
    Options
    Its really up to you whether you do or not. I personally do everyday.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I don't "work out" as such ... I try to walk at a moderate pace daily for at least 30 minutes and I do some push-ups when I feel like it.

I've never seen the inside of a gym and don't plan to.

I should do a DVD really but it would be quite short ;)
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Heck no. :)

No "formal" exercise, at least. I work out M-F for an hour or an hour and a half. I take Saturdays and Sundays off. But I usually hit at least 16K steps on my "off" days, between yardwork, gardening and housework.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I take at least 1 complete rest day each week. Sometimes I take 2 rest days. But with 5 kids to run around after and a huge yard to take care of, I'm not exactly sitting on my backside much of the time.

... unless I'm on MFP :laugh:
  • amy32lynn
    amy32lynn Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I work out every day unless im sick.............but im a stay at home mom with lots of time on my hands lol
  • Dezmodus
    Dezmodus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've been reading that you should at least do 20 minutes of cardio a day (that could be as little as a brisk walk) just to keep your metabolism going strong. I wouldn't do anything insane 7 days a week though, that sounds like a good way to hurt yourself.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I need at least 1 day a week for recovery purposes (no cardio or strength training). About every 6 weeks I take a 4 to 7 days off of the strength training.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It kinda depends on how heavily you are exercising. There are other factors such as age, how long you've been working out, and how naturally resilient your body is.

With strength training, or heavy cardio (HIIT intervals, endurance running, etc) you do need to give your body a rest to give it time to repair. Re-exercising too soon will actually do more damage to your muscle than good... Light residual soreness is ok to work through, warm up and stretching should mostly take care of it, but if it HURTS, then it's too soon.

Walking/light cardio/relaxation yoga/calisthenics type stuff is fine to do more often, especially if you mix it up.
  • Stepmom1
    Stepmom1 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I workout 6 days a week and take a day off, on Sundays. When I start a new program, I take 1 week off between programs so that my body can rest and get ready for the new program.

Those breaks are every 90 days. I do a program for 90 days, then take 1 week off and then start again. Six days a week, on day of rest.
  • KembaKing
    KembaKing Posts: 3
    Options
    I workout every single day because I know i need that discipline however mixing it up is necessary. I do yoga twice a week. 2 out of the 7 days wouldn't be as strenuous as the other 5 and that is not necessarily talking about the yoga...because some days I do yoga and it feels like I did two hours of cardio and weights! :)
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    Oh yea, I should mention that while I usually get something in every day, by no means am I doing a lot. C25K is a half hour or so, and strength training for me is about an hour.
  • brunette824
    brunette824 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yes, well almost everyday I don't on Sunday unless I decide to do some yoga I alternate days of mostly cardio to mostly strength so I get a good mix
  • Hksalex
    Hksalex Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    6 times a week.. 2 x's a day.. Am / Pm Cardio 30min... Strength 10-15min depending on Reps/Set