SUGAR IS EVERY DAMN WHERE!!!

Options

Replies

• agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Can I just say it is cracking me up to watch an argument between two sets of headless abs?
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Can I just say it is cracking me up to watch an argument between two sets of headless abs?

Sure. Go right ahead and say it. :happy:
  • EmilySG2011
    Options
    I have heard many others say not to pay a lot of attention to the sugars on here because it is ridiculously low. Like others posting here...I pay more attention to overall carbs than the actual sugar amount. You may want to even take that off of your daily tracking just so it doesn't irritate you so much!
    33 grams of sugar is supposed to be my limit according to MFP, I take in over 100 grams of sugar and I feel like I'm eating pretty well! What are you guys getting in one day for sugar intake!!! I feel like that's what I need to eliminate to shrink my belly, but SUGAR'S EVERY DAMN WHERE!!!!
  • raystark
    Options
    33 grams of sugar is supposed to be my limit according to MFP, I take in over 100 grams of sugar and I feel like I'm eating pretty well! What are you guys getting in one day for sugar intake!!! I feel like that's what I need to eliminate to shrink my belly, but SUGAR'S EVERY DAMN WHERE!!!!

I don't track it. Sugar is a carb, I track carbs.

Unless you have a medical condition where you need to control sugar intake, it really isn't necessary to track.

The flip side to this is that all carbs are processed into glucose - sugar - as part of the digestion process.
  • raystark
    Options
    my solution was to remove the sugar column from my diary. i don't distinguish between "sugar" and "carbohydrates".

Smart fella. :smile:
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    my solution was to remove the sugar column from my diary. i don't distinguish between "sugar" and "carbohydrates".

Same. I didn't even know I was supposed to track sugars, actually.

To be perfectly honest, I don't know what all the angst over this stuff is all about. Eat about as healthy as one can while staying within the calorie goals. Do it in a manner that is sustainable. Stop hand wringing over sugar or carb or fat or whatever the evil food of the day is (unless there is a medical reason for it). It ain't rocket science.
  • JustinM86
    JustinM86 Posts: 37
    Options

haha, I agree. This is stupid. I'm not an "all or nothing" type of person. I eat sensibly, not super strict. I eat cleanly enough that if I want to have some "junk food", I can eat it. On that note, I'm not claiming to know everything, because obviously I don't. No one does. No two people should consume the same diet either.
  • Taryn1627
    Taryn1627 Posts: 120
    Options
    as long as my sugars are from things like fruits and greek yogurt, i try not to worry about them too much...it's the processed sugars you gotta watch out for! (cookies, cakes, ice cream, soda)
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I know that I am going to get backlash from this.. but thats ok. I am pre-diabetic and my dietician and endocrinologist said that your body does not differentiate between types of sugar. Sugar is sugar. Of course, natural sugars coming from natural foods like fruits and veggies will be accompanied by the nutrition that comes along with eating healthy, natural food BUT it is still sugar. I am allowed to have 20g of sugars per day whether it comes from ice cream or strawberries. If I sit down and eat a big ol bowl of watermelon, I get a blood sugar spike just as though I drank a can of coke. So perhaps they are metabolized differently, I am not a scientist, I dont know but I know that MY body responds to sugar the same way - from fruit or from refined sugar. Just throwing my non-expertise out there.
  • fredgunnerson
    fredgunnerson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I track carbs, protein and fat. I've been running 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fat. P90X 6 days a week for exercise, 1800 calories a day total.

It's all about keeping your blood sugar level. Any type of sugar makes it spike and then drop. Think of your body like a car. It needs gas to run. First it uses the gas that's in the gas tank. When that runs out you have to go to a gas station. When the gas station runs out they need a big tanker truck to haul in more fuel. That big truck get's it's load from another big storage tank. So you need to quit topping off your tank and start drilling for crude oil if you get my drift....
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Essay length list of ingredients in a Snickers Bar? It has a dozen ingredients, including egg whites, lactose, salt, skim milk, peanuts, and milk chocolate. Yeah, full of some terrible stuff all right. Oh, and it actually has sugar, not HFCS. Stop making uninformed, exaggerated false claims. That's called fear mongering, trying to scare people by making things sound worse than they are. Just stick to facts.

Snickers Bar:

"Milk chocolate (sugar, cocoa butter, chocolate, lactose, skim milk, milkfat, soy lecithin, artifiical flavor), peanuts, corn syrup, sugar, skim milk, butter, milkfat, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, lactose, salt, egg whites, artificial flavor."

So, corn syrup and trans fat. Yup, healthy...

Whole Milk:

"Whole milk, vitamin D and Vitamin D3 added"

Both contain protein, carbohydrates, fat and sugar. Which one is better for you? It's no rocket science.
    Corn syrup is just sugar extracted from corn. No different than sugar extracted from anywhere else, you are aware that corn is very high in sugar? and hydrogenated oil =/= trans fat. Some hydrogenated oils are trans fats. Guess what, there are plenty of naturally occurring fats that are trans fats also, like vaccenic acid, which is found in whole milk. OMG WHOLE MILK HAS TRANS FATS IN IT, IT MUST BE TERRIBLE! Seriously, if you went to argue a point, research it first. One cup of whole milk contains 2 grams of vaccenic acid, meaning it contains 2 grams of trans fats. The US government only regulates artificial trans fats, naturally occurring trans fats don't have to be labeled as trans fats on a nutrition label, the can just be labeled as unsaturated fat.

Human breast milk also happens to be high in trans fats.
  • tigersword
    Options
    I track carbs, protein and fat. I've been running 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fat. P90X 6 days a week for exercise, 1800 calories a day total.

It's all about keeping your blood sugar level. Any type of sugar makes it spike and then drop. Think of your body like a car. It needs gas to run. First it uses the gas that's in the gas tank. When that runs out you have to go to a gas station. When the gas station runs out they need a big tanker truck to haul in more fuel. That big truck get's it's load from another big storage tank. So you need to quit topping off your tank and start drilling for crude oil if you get my drift....
    A normal human metabolism is remarkably efficient at maintaining steady blood sugar levels, regardless of sugar intake.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options

A normal human metabolism is remarkably efficient at maintaining steady blood sugar levels, regardless of sugar intake.

This, And acute fluctuations in blood glucose are perfectly normal.
  • raystark
    Options

True enough, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that many of the overweight individuals using this site to help with their weight loss efforts have metabolisms which are somewhat out of the norm.

That is certainly true in my case. I am hoping to eventually get my metabolism back somewhere closer to normal, but it ain't there yet.
  • JustinM86
    JustinM86 Posts: 37
    Options
    Corn syrup is just sugar extracted from corn. No different than sugar extracted from anywhere else, you are aware that corn is very high in sugar? and hydrogenated oil =/= trans fat. Some hydrogenated oils are trans fats. Guess what, there are plenty of naturally occurring fats that are trans fats also, like vaccenic acid, which is found in whole milk. OMG WHOLE MILK HAS TRANS FATS IN IT, IT MUST BE TERRIBLE! Seriously, if you went to argue a point, research it first. One cup of whole milk contains 2 grams of vaccenic acid, meaning it contains 2 grams of trans fats. The US government only regulates artificial trans fats, naturally occurring trans fats don't have to be labeled as trans fats on a nutrition label, the can just be labeled as unsaturated fat.

I'm aware that there are naturally occurring trans fats. The artificial ones that are damaging to your health can also be rounded down to zero if they are below half a gram per serving. If you see "Partially hydrogenated ____ oil" in an ingredient list, it has trans fat in it.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

But you feel like crap in the process.

Brakes are also efficient at stopping a car, you shouldn't ride them mercilessly for long term sake of the vehicle.
  • GodsGirl37
    GodsGirl37 Posts: 348
    Options
    everything seems sugar galore doesn't it.
  • tigersword
    Options

Brakes are also efficient at stopping a car, you shouldn't ride them mercilessly for long term sake of the vehicle.
    Actually, you don't feel anything if your metabolism is normal. A normal, healthy individual doesn't feel blood sugar changes. A diabetic can, because those travel outside the normal range. Healthy people, it doesn't get high or low enough to be noticeable.
  • tigersword
    Options

I'm aware that there are naturally occurring trans fats. The artificial ones that are damaging to your health can also be rounded down to zero if they are below half a gram per serving. If you see "Partially hydrogenated ____ oil" in an ingredient list, it has trans fat in it.
    Hydrogenation is not automatically a trans fat. Some of them are. Some of them aren't. Nowadays, most of them aren't.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Actually, you don't feel anything if your metabolism is normal. A normal, healthy individual doesn't feel blood sugar changes. A diabetic can, because those travel outside the normal range. Healthy people, it doesn't get high or low enough to be noticeable.

Raising your blood sugar results in crashes in healthy people as well.