SUGAR IS EVERY DAMN WHERE!!!

Options

Replies

• JustinM86
    JustinM86 Posts: 37
    Options
    So it's just calories in calories out? It has NOTHING to do with the quality or source of the food you put into your body? By that definition I could be getting all of my calories from McDonalds instead of varied natural sources for my macros... Also, you have a "fruit limit" for the day, and you would reach for a Snickers bar for protein, sugar and fat? Why not just have some whole milk? Might be a bit better choice. I'm most likely just arguing apples and oranges with this though. Just eat McDonalds and take a multi vitamin for all of your macros and your vitamin and mineral requirements. I had no idea caring where my food came from and how it was prepared was a logical fallacy...
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    i don't eat any sugar except for natural ones in veggies.

Ditto.

Unless I'm giving myself a treat (I love the cookies at Barns & Noble) I get all of my sugar from fruits and veggies and the only time I go over 40 grams is when I deviate from that and have that treat.

What is everyone eating that causes them to go over 100 grams of sugar.

On a lark I went into my diary and plugged in some fruit combinations just to see how much before I went over and I can get 3 apples, or a few cups of berries, or various other fruits before I get near my 40 grams.

Its when I start adding manufactured stuff that I start to go over.
  • sbedwards1077
    sbedwards1077 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I added you. I struggle with sugar intake also.
  • wewon
    Options
    So, aside from HFCS being metabolized the same as natural sugars, there's no true drawback to consuming it? I can not think of many foods of any true nutritonal value that have HFCS contained within them. Sugar is sugar, yes. I don't see any benefit from The consumption of HFCS aside from the fact that it's usually cheaper. A few pieces of fruit may contain the same sugar content as a cup of soda, but the nutrient profile is completely different. Quality over quantity.

100% agree.

This ladies and gentlemen is where the rubber meets the road.

If all you are concerned with is "disproving Lusting" then fine, here's your cookie (made with HFC of course).

Now, I'll give you $5 for each nutritionally balanced item that you can find in your cupboard/refrigerator that is made with HFC and you can give me $5 for each item made with HFC that is basically garbage or nutritionally out of whack.

Let's see who walks away with the net gain.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I was going over on sugar everyday and then I realized 90% of it was from fruits, so I stopped tracking it.
  • carinnaj
    carinnaj Posts: 149
    Options
    I finally took the sugar and carbs line off of my diary so I don't see it. it was stressing me out too much seeing it and going way over every day. I'm trying to focus on upping my intake of protein and fiber right now.. maybe later I'll get to adding the carbs and sugar line back on and work on lowering that...
  • wewon
    Options
    Also, Snickers bars contain HFCS. They also contain peanuts, which are a good protein and fat source. If I've hit my fruit limit for the day, but need some sugar, protein, and fat, then a Snickers bar is relatively healthy choice, compared to an apple. Food doesn't exist in a vacuum. It's all a matter of context and overall diet.

I think that this is the first time that I've someone say that a snickers bar is relatively more healthy choice than an apple.

You get all the sugar you need in fruit. Your stomach couldn't accommodate enough apples before they become toxic. However, the transfat and 250 cals of a snickers bar has a lot lower dosage before you see negative side effects. but the peanuts are good for you.
  • wewon
    Options
    So it's just calories in calories out? It has NOTHING to do with the quality or source of the food you put into your body? By that definition I could be getting all of my calories from McDonalds instead of varied natural sources for my macros... Also, you have a "fruit limit" for the day, and you would reach for a Snickers bar for protein, sugar and fat? Why not just have some whole milk? Might be a bit better choice. I'm most likely just arguing apples and oranges with this though. Just eat McDonalds and take a multi vitamin for all of your macros and your vitamin and mineral requirements. I had no idea caring where my food came from and how it was prepared was a logical fallacy...

Brilliant!!
  • Melissa82434
    Melissa82434 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Try REAL sugar sub. I believe the best ones are Truvia or Stivia (spelling??) Stay away from yellow, blue & pink packets....... very artificial & can actually cause weight gain. This is according to Dr. Oz :wink: BUT I totally trust what he says :)
  • misskatibear
    misskatibear Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    According to MFP i'm only allowed 24g of sugar a day, it is hard and sometimes I do go over it but I am definitely learning to get better at keeping it down. Feel free to add me to watch what I eat :)
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    yes sugar is sugar and eating fruit ( as long as it is not in excess) is a good thing
    but hidden sugar and processed sugar are bad because (if we don't log) we may not realize it's in food and i think that's the problem (the problem of low fat food and high fat people)
    I hope everyone realizes fruit has sugar in it but did you know there is ( lots of added) sugar in pasta sauce, fat free salad dressing, reduced fat yoghurt and Multi-Grain Cereals and Crackers. and thats wrong becuase we may consider these foods healty and eat more than we thiink

scientific studies show that we eat more of foods that are labled ''light, low fat and healthy'' and we underestimate the calories we percieve in 'hjealthy foods'

this is the problem
    i try to avoid anything that has added sugar - because it is replacing taste!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knVarZ2Mx0I
  • wewon
    Options
    yes sugar is sugar and eating fruit ( as long as it is not in excess) is a good thing
    but hidden sugar and processed sugar are bad because (if we don't log) we may not realize it's in food and i think that's the problem (the problem of low fat food and high fat people)
    I hope everyone realizes fruit has sugar in it but did you know there is ( lots of added) sugar in pasta sauce, fat free salad dressing, reduced fat yoghurt and Multi-Grain Cereals and Crackers. and thats wrong becuase we may consider these foods healty and eat more than we thiink

scientific studies show that we eat more of foods that are labled ''light, low fat and healthy'' and we underestimate the calories we percieve in 'hjealthy foods'

this is the problem
    i try to avoid anything that has added sugar - because it is replacing taste!

Good post.

Another downside to process foods, as everything in bold was fiddled with in some way and had their nutritional value made loopy. When eating whole foods those kinds of issues are eliminated.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    33 grams of sugar is supposed to be my limit according to MFP, I take in over 100 grams of sugar and I feel like I'm eating pretty well! What are you guys getting in one day for sugar intake!!! I feel like that's what I need to eliminate to shrink my belly, but SUGAR'S EVERY DAMN WHERE!!!!

This thread has gone a little of topic but if you are getting over 100 grams of sugar per day I would seriously look at what you are actually eating.

Looking back at my dairy, even when my calorie intake was 3000 per day, (which I assume is much higher than yours) I was rarely getting over 60 grams of sugar per day.

If you are going to eat ready meals or pre-packed proceeded foods, these are going to come with a lot of sugar added.

this is the problem
    i try to avoid anything that has added sugar - because it is replacing taste

Said it better than I did.
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JustinM86
    JustinM86 Posts: 37
    Options

You honestly think that's a viable resource for proving your point? Do we know if that guy is taking steroids, what his exercise routine was like? You can eat just about anything if you're on steroids, and your body will soak it up like a sponge. Would you say that regular beef is the same as grass fed organic free range beef. There are differences. If you continued to eat McDonalds for more than a month I doubt you would be healthier for it. Anyone thinking this is a viable option for their nutrient sources has a pathetic standard for themselves and their health.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    33 grams of sugar is supposed to be my limit according to MFP, I take in over 100 grams of sugar and I feel like I'm eating pretty well! What are you guys getting in one day for sugar intake!!! I feel like that's what I need to eliminate to shrink my belly, but SUGAR'S EVERY DAMN WHERE!!!!

This thread has gone a little of topic but if you are getting over 100 grams of sugar per day I would seriously look at what you are actually eating.

Looking back at my dairy, even when my calorie intake was 3000 per day, (which I assume is much higher than yours) I was rarely getting over 60 grams of sugar per day.

If you are going to eat ready meals or pre-packed proceeded foods, these are going to come with a lot of sugar added.

I have to agree, and I am not the cleanest eater by any stretch of the imagination. I went back over my diary to check sugars out as I don't usually track them and the only day I hit 100 grams of sugar was on a splurge day where I ate some cake. Otherwise, even with stuff like ice cream, lots of fruit, and some processed foods I usually fall within the 60 grams range. That includes a banana and chocolate almond milk in the morning and an apple with peanut butter at night... plus whatever else I get during lunch, afternoon snack, and dinner.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

You honestly think that's a viable resource for proving your point? Do we know if that guy is taking steroids, what his exercise routine was like? You can eat just about anything if you're on steroids, and your body will soak it up like a sponge. Would you say that regular beef is the same as grass fed organic free range beef. There are differences. If you continued to eat McDonalds for more than a month I doubt you would be healthier for it. Anyone thinking this is a viable option for their nutrient sources has a pathetic standard for themselves and their health.

Did you think posting a crappy study on HFCS and rats was a viable resource for proving your point?
  • wewon
    Options

Did you think posting a crappy study on HFCS and rats was a viable resource for proving your point?

So you're saying that the link was or wasn't viable proof of your point?