SUGAR IS EVERY DAMN WHERE!!!

Options

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i don't eat any sugar except for natural ones in veggies.
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    33 grams of sugar is supposed to be my limit according to MFP, I take in over 100 grams of sugar and I feel like I'm eating pretty well! What are you guys getting in one day for sugar intake!!! I feel like that's what I need to eliminate to shrink my belly, but SUGAR'S EVERY DAMN WHERE!!!!

I know what you mean... it was driving me crazy so I just gave up in the end and removed it from my macros :) It was doing my head in tracking fat, protein, carbs with sugar and sodium... so I've knocked those two out. :P
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sugar from Greek yogurt is typically from the fruit on the bottom......

Its fructose that's in fruit not sucrose. That's the difference between sugar from fruit and refined sugars! They are metabolised differently and surplus of each is stored and utilized differently. Sucrose (which breaks down to glucose) is stored as fat!! Fructose remains in the blood stream and is used by mitochondria to form energy!!

Fruit is fine. There are so many benefits of it. Just watched your refined sugar intake and you should be good. I don't even have sugar in my diary anymore. I started tracking fiber instead and try for 30g a day!!!

Ugh. The major sugar in fruit is sucrose. Fruit also contains fructose, glucose, galactose, maltose, and other sugars. They are not metabolized any differently. An enzyme in your small intestine separates the glucose and fructose in sucrose into separate molecules, and they are digested and absorbed.

For the record, glucose is almost NEVER turned into fat. It's turned into glycogen, and stored in your muscles. The majority of body fat (87%) is made up of excess fatty acids.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Yes, sugar is sugar, whether it is fructose, sucrose or whatever. I eat fruit and other natural sources of sugar and don't worry too much about going over the 25 grams I am allotted as long as its from real, nutritious food and not simply empty calories. But by any definition, what's in maple syrup would be classified as sugar. And if a person slathered maple syrup on everything on a regular basis, that person would gain weight.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    OMFG, I know!! I know. :sad:
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    When I first started logging my food on here, I input my breakfast, which I thought was pretty healthy..
    Cereal, believe it was Kashi
    little bit of walnuts
    strawberries
    blueberries
    1% milk

coffee, sugar free creamer, 1% milk

aaaaand I hit my sugars for the day. Whoa! (the milk was the real killer)

So its really been a learning process. Altering what I eat. I watch my macros and keep track of it all. I did go over my sugars today though.
    What has been a real issue for me is -- sodium!! that is in everything!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Yes, sugar is sugar, whether it is fructose, sucrose or whatever. I eat fruit and other natural sources of sugar a d I don't worry too much about going the 25 grams I am allotted as long as its from real, nutritious food and simply empty calories. But by any definition, what's in maple syrup would be classified as sugar.

yup. sugar from an apple = sugar from a snickers. body don't care.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    When I first started logging my food on here, I input my breakfast, which I thought was pretty healthy..
    Cereal, believe it was Kashi
    little bit of walnuts
    strawberries
    blueberries
    1% milk

coffee, sugar free creamer, 1% milk

aaaaand I hit my sugars for the day. Whoa! (the milk was the real killer)

So its really been a learning process. Altering what I eat. I watch my macros and keep track of it all. I did go over my sugars today though.
    What has been a real issue for me is -- sodium!! that is in everything!

for most of the population, sodium doesn't really matter, either.
  • Kaidynne
    Kaidynne Posts: 7
    Options
    Sugar is really a bad craving of mine. However, I've been trying really hard to avoid eating things with sugar UNLESS it's fruit. I believe getting sugar via fruit is the best way to get sugar, and if you get your sugar that way, I wouldn't worry about your 'limit".
  • JustinM86
    JustinM86 Posts: 37
    Options
    You want to avoid excess sugar whenever possible. It doesn't matter if it's from fruit, sugar is sugar. Excess amounts of sugar are converted to LDL (Low density lipo-protein, aka - bad cholesterol) in the liver. This drives up cholesterol and attributes to heart disease among many other diseases/ health conditions. You need to be very aware of how much sugar is contained in each serving. "Fruit juice", for example, is nothing more than sugar water dressed up to appear healthy. You should be consuming fruit juice by the shotglass - because it's loaded with sugar.
  • Kaidynne
    Kaidynne Posts: 7
    Options
    It doesn't matter if it's from fruit, sugar is sugar.

While this may be true, I think anything in moderation isn't bad. Having an Apple today and maybe some grapes tomorrow isn't going to kill you. Don't sit there and eat a whole bag of grapes, a few apples, some plums, etc, you get my drift. Plus, not eating fruits you'd be missing out on a lot of natural nutrition that they provide.
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    My sugar is blown for the day after I eat my cereal + fruit lol!

As long as I'm losing, I just don't care lol. I will eat my fruit (and cereal and popsicles) with abandon!
  • JustinM86
    Options
    It doesn't matter if it's from fruit, sugar is sugar.

While this may be true, I think anything in moderation isn't bad. Having an Apple today and maybe some grapes tomorrow isn't going to kill you. Don't sit there and eat a whole bag of grapes, a few apples, some plums, etc, you get my drift. Plus, not eating fruits you'd be missing out on a lot of natural nutrition that they provide.

You're absolutely right. Also, natural sugars react differently in the body than un-natural sources (HFCS - High Fructose Corn Syrup). Moderation can be skewed by people's perception. You'd be amazed at the sugar content in certain foods. Also, when it comes to milk, whole milk is the better choice because skim is basically pure sugar. The fat content in whole milk helps blunt the insulin spike and the surge in your blood sugar levels.

Fat = Good
    Sugar = Bad
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    HFCS is not processed differently in the body. It's glucose, fructose, and a bit of maltose. The body has enzymes that very easily break it down into its constituent glucose* and fructose molecules, and the glucose and fructose are processed exactly the same as they would be from any other source. The human body doesn't recognize whole foods, it only recognizes molecular components.

*Maltose is a sugar molecule consisting of 2 glucose molecules bound together. So maltose gets split into 2 glucose molecules.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    According to my diary I have ingested more than 3,000 calories today. It says that I have had 8 grams of sugar.
    It all depends on what you eat.

On the other hand...every gram of carbs you eat is turned into sugar, glucose, in the digestive process so since I had 52grams of carbs that means I actually had at least 52 grams of sugar today. Separating sugar and carbs is one of the weak points of MFP IMO.

Remember - Every Carb gram is a Sugar gram.
  • JustinM86
    Options
    HFCS is not processed differently in the body. It's glucose, fructose, and a bit of maltose. The body has enzymes that very easily break it down into its constituent glucose* and fructose molecules, and the glucose and fructose are processed exactly the same as they would be from any other source. The human body doesn't recognize whole foods, it only recognizes molecular components.

*Maltose is a sugar molecule consisting of 2 glucose molecules bound together. So maltose gets split into 2 glucose molecules.

Sure about that? Also, I said HFCS reacts differently in the body. I said nothing about it being metabolized. Saying HFCS and real sugar are the same is like saying organic veggies and GMO veggies are the same. They effect the body differently. They effect the brain differently. Saying that consuming High Fructose Corn syrup is no different than consuming natural sugar is irresponsible.

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    oh, yay! the full-of-holes and questions princeton study again!
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    You are right, it's everywhere. I would cut out any processed food - stick with veggies, whole grains, and if you need something sweet, try using honey or maple syrup. True maple syrup has no sugar in it.

Are you positive maple syrup has no sugar in it? Might want to look at that again
    Its fructose that's in fruit not sucrose. That's the difference between sugar from fruit and refined sugars! They are metabolised differently and surplus of each is stored and utilized differently. Sucrose (which breaks down to glucose) is stored as fat!! Fructose remains in the blood stream and is used by mitochondria to form energy!!

Fruit is fine. There are so many benefits of it. Just watched your refined sugar intake and you should be good. I don't even have sugar in my diary anymore. I started tracking fiber instead and try for 30g a day!!!

Lol, and sucrose is part glucose and part ?

Sugar is sugar

I had gestational diabetes with my last two pregnancies. This is the info I was given by an Endoconologist. It was then posted on MFP by a nutrition scientist. I've received the same info from two credible sources. Bottom line, if my sugar intake is over because I ate some black berries and an apple, no sweat. If I ate two pieces of ice cream cake AND a piece of white cake like last night...different story. I don't really give a *kitten* what happens to it in the body. There are benefits to eating fruit, sugar aside.
  • JustinM86
    Options

So you're advocating man made sources of sugar over natural sources that humans have been consuming for thousands and thousands of years? Yeah, I see no holes in that logic what so ever...

The more humans mess with the origins of a food, the more you should avoid it. Case in point, hydrogenated oils/trans fats. Or are those ok as well?
  • tsh0ck
    Options

So you're advocating man made sources of sugar over natural sources that humans have been consuming for thousands and thousands of years? Yeah, I see no holes in that logic what so ever...

The more humans mess with the origins of a food, the more you should avoid it. Case in point, hydrogenated oils/trans fats. Or are those ok as well?

you miss the point. the study was faulty. the results, as a result, are questionable. they wound up with data that contradicted itself inside the study and when put up against other joint studies. add to this the fact that UC-Davis did a similar study ... only, well, they studied the effects of HFCS on real human people vs. lab rats ... and came out saying there is no reason to believe there is a difference in how the body handles HFCS vs. sugar.