SUGAR IS EVERY DAMN WHERE!!!

Options

Replies

• luvmyleo
    luvmyleo Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You're right- lots of processed foods have added sugar- especially "low fat" diet foods.

The way my doctor explained it is if it ends in ose (fructose, sucrose, lactose) it is metabolized in your body as a carbohydrate. Excess carbohydrates (those not used in glycogen reserves) are converted to fat tissue. The more sugar you eat, the more insulin you produce to try to decrease the amount of sugar in your blood stream. Besides a whole slew of other cardiovascular issues, having/producing all the excess insulin promotes fat storage as well.

The difference between eating a milky way and a banana is the fiber and nutrients. He put it like this,

"How often do you eat a banana and immediately want to eat a second one? You don't because of the fiber. Now how often do you eat a candy bar and immediately want another one?"
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Its fructose that's in fruit not sucrose. That's the difference between sugar from fruit and refined sugars! They are metabolised differently and surplus of each is stored and utilized differently. Sucrose (which breaks down to glucose) is stored as fat!! Fructose remains in the blood stream and is used by mitochondria to form energy!!

That is not really true. Fruit contains MANY kinds of sugars, not just fructose. Some fruits are actually high in sucrose, which *will* cause insulin spikes if you are sensitive to it. For this reason, I limit my fruit.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I just keep out for the added sugar in the ingredients of the items that I buy. I realize that things like fruit, yogurt and milk are going to have natural sugars in them. IMO it's the added crap that you need to look out for. If sugar is close to the first ingredient on the label I don't buy it and if it has HFCS in it I avoid it like the plague.

I'm not too concerned about the increase due to my fruits and dairy.
  • JustinM86
    JustinM86 Posts: 37
    Options
    So it's just calories in calories out? It has NOTHING to do with the quality or source of the food you put into your body? By that definition I could be getting all of my calories from McDonalds instead of varied natural sources for my macros... Also, you have a "fruit limit" for the day, and you would reach for a Snickers bar for protein, sugar and fat? Why not just have some whole milk? Might be a bit better choice. I'm most likely just arguing apples and oranges with this though. Just eat McDonalds and take a multi vitamin for all of your macros and your vitamin and mineral requirements. I had no idea caring where my food came from and how it was prepared was a logical fallacy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knVarZ2Mx0I

You honestly think that's a viable resource for proving your point? Do we know if that guy is taking steroids, what his exercise routine was like? You can eat just about anything if you're on steroids, and your body will soak it up like a sponge. Would you say that regular beef is the same as grass fed organic free range beef. There are differences. If you continued to eat McDonalds for more than a month I doubt you would be healthier for it. Anyone thinking this is a viable option for their nutrient sources has a pathetic standard for themselves and their health.

Did you think posting a crappy study on HFCS and rats was a viable resource for proving your point?

The difference between the information you're providing vs the information I'm providing comes down to responsibility. It's down right irresponsible to try and say the average person can consume McDonalds with little or no consequence. That's absurd. The same goes for the consumption of HFCS. Give me a bunch of foods that contain that sweetner that are good quality food sources. You can't, because the use of HFCS lends itself to processed and refined/crappy foods. Those aren't good for you... The fact that you'd debate the quality of whole foods vs processed garbage like McDonalds or anything sweetened with HFCS is pathetic, and irresponsible. When people are looking at this as information attributing to a sound and complete diet, the last thing they need is someone advocating fast food as being ok to consume on a regular basis.
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I blame Robert Lustig for a lot of this and the hate towards sugar all together. If I remember correctly, Alan Aragon shut down every claim Lustig made bashing both of them to which Lustig had nothing to even come back with lol

LOL @ Aragon with his "science" and "logic". All you need to do is look at the number of YouTube hits to see who is right.

If you really think that YouTube hits determines someones knowledge, your input is unneeded. As far as your statement on Alan's "science and logic", he has a masters in nutrition along with a TON of other credentials...he has to know a little something..
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I blame Robert Lustig for a lot of this and the hate towards sugar all together. If I remember correctly, Alan Aragon shut down every claim Lustig made bashing both of them to which Lustig had nothing to even come back with lol

LOL @ Aragon with his "science" and "logic". All you need to do is look at the number of YouTube hits to see who is right.

If you really think that YouTube hits determines someones knowledge, your input is unneeded. As far as your statement on Alan's "science and logic", he has a masters in nutrition along with a TON of other credentials...he has to know a little something..

And Lustig is a medical doctor and lecturer, educated and intelligent people disagree all of the time so being impressed by credentials is a fools errand.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So it's just calories in calories out? It has NOTHING to do with the quality or source of the food you put into your body? By that definition I could be getting all of my calories from McDonalds instead of varied natural sources for my macros... Also, you have a "fruit limit" for the day, and you would reach for a Snickers bar for protein, sugar and fat? Why not just have some whole milk? Might be a bit better choice. I'm most likely just arguing apples and oranges with this though. Just eat McDonalds and take a multi vitamin for all of your macros and your vitamin and mineral requirements. I had no idea caring where my food came from and how it was prepared was a logical fallacy...

You honestly think that's a viable resource for proving your point? Do we know if that guy is taking steroids, what his exercise routine was like? You can eat just about anything if you're on steroids, and your body will soak it up like a sponge. Would you say that regular beef is the same as grass fed organic free range beef. There are differences. If you continued to eat McDonalds for more than a month I doubt you would be healthier for it. Anyone thinking this is a viable option for their nutrient sources has a pathetic standard for themselves and their health.

Did you think posting a crappy study on HFCS and rats was a viable resource for proving your point?

The difference between the information you're providing vs the information I'm providing comes down to responsibility. It's down right irresponsible to try and say the average person can consume McDonalds with little or no consequence. That's absurd. The same goes for the consumption of HFCS. Give me a bunch of foods that contain that sweetner that are good quality food sources. You can't, because the use of HFCS lends itself to processed and refined/crappy foods. Those aren't good for you... The fact that you'd debate the quality of whole foods vs processed garbage like McDonalds or anything sweetened with HFCS is pathetic, and irresponsible. When people are looking at this as information attributing to a sound and complete diet, the last thing they need is someone advocating fast food as being ok to consume on a regular basis.

Can you point me to where I said fast food was alright to consumer on a regular basis?

And the fact that you would fear monger is quite pathetic and shows a lack of intelligence. Way to include any dosage or context to consumption of fast food or HFCS that makes it "bad"
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options

If you really think that was a serious comment, you need to have your sarcasm meter checked.
  • LesterBlackstone
    Options
    Would you say that regular beef is the same as grass fed organic free range beef. There are differences.

This study basically backs up what I’ve been saying for years: a single fast food meal, within the context of a calorie controlled diet, is not death on a plate. It won’t destroy your diet and it won’t make you immediately turn into a big fat pile of blubber. And, frankly, this can be predicted on basic physiology (in terms of nutrient digestion) alone. It’s just nice to see it verified in a controlled setting.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html
  • ronaldmcyd
    ronaldmcyd Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I pay close attention to sugar, but it is naturally in fruits, vegetables, and milk. So I just ignore any sugar from anything in those categories, and try to keep it low everywhere else.
  • JustinM86
    Options

Can you point me to where I said fast food was alright to consumer on a regular basis?

And the fact that you would fear monger is quite pathetic and shows a lack of intelligence. Way to include any dosage or context to consumption of fast food or HFCS that makes it "bad"

You posted a link to a "documentary" on consuming McDonalds for 30 days straight... Do I have to spell it out for you?
  • JustinM86
    Options
    Would you say that regular beef is the same as grass fed organic free range beef. There are differences.

This study basically backs up what I’ve been saying for years: a single fast food meal, within the context of a calorie controlled diet, is not death on a plate. It won’t destroy your diet and it won’t make you immediately turn into a big fat pile of blubber. And, frankly, this can be predicted on basic physiology (in terms of nutrient digestion) alone. It’s just nice to see it verified in a controlled setting.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html

And to that I say, "no duh". Prolonged consumption over a long period of time poses a greater risk than eating crappy food once or twice a week... It's people that consume it regularly, and in large quantities that reap the consequences. That's common sense.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

You posted a link to a "documentary" on consuming McDonalds for 30 days straight... Do I have to spell it out for you?

You do, since that was only a counter to your claim above. You'll notice I never said it was alright or recommended, strong reading comprehension there
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you really think that was a serious comment, you need to have your sarcasm meter checked.

It's harder to determine sarcasm through text than it is in person...especially when more than half of the people on youtube say the exact same thing you said but are 100% serious
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I go over my sugar everday.Almost all of it comes from fruit or coconut water. I'm still losing weight
  • JustinM86
    Options

You do, since that was only a counter to your claim above. You'll notice I never said it was alright or recommended, strong reading comprehension there

My reading comprehension is just fine, thanks. You didn't say anything about it NOT being ok either. You posted a link, nothing more. Who has the comprehension issues? As far as quantities of consumption for the crappy foods you seem to love, I don't have exact amounts, but again - why don't you list a bunch of foods that contain HFCS that are truly nutritious and conducive to a well rounded, balanced, and healthy diet. Evidently you're of a superior intellect than I am, so please, point my feeble mind in the right direction...
  • LesterBlackstone
    Options
    I like how you consistently shift the goalposts and the burden of proof when you are shown how nonsensical your original premise is.

Well done sir.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I like how you consistently shift the goalposts and the burden of proof when you are shown how nonsensical your original premise is.

Well done sir.

So a healthy balanced diet that takes into account actual nutritional value versus a calorie deficit diet that doesn't is nonsensical?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Well done sir.
    That would be the logical fallacies that I kept referring to, guess he hasn't figured that out yet.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Well done sir.

So a healthy balanced diet that takes into account actual nutritional value versus a calorie deficit diet that doesn't is nonsensical?
    No, what's nonsensical is it is a completely different topic than his original claim. He's basically trying to defend his original claim by arguing a completely different topic.