C25k~ Running Shoes~ HELP :)

Options
13»

Replies

• jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    So, I am looking to starting C25K, and have gotten some really good advice from everyone on the site :)
    The main thing I keep hearing is GOOD RUNNING SHOES and how important it is! Most say go to a running store, and get fitted and tested for the shoes you need.. Which sounds like a great plan, and I am going to try to do that. But with 2 babies, Idk how going in there with my double stroller and keeping them occupied while I do various running tests and try on multiple pairs of shoes will go. lol

With that said... Are there certain Brands I should be looking for? What are the best? What are the generally good ones, that aren't necessarily the most expensive!? I don't want to walk in looking like I have no clue what I'm doing or looking for and get talked into buying the most expensive pair in the store because I'm distracted and ready to get out of there! LOL

I'm a beginning runner (you could pretty much say I've barely ran a day in my life, except from the cops as a kid lol) and I have a high arch. I do not walk on the inners, or outers of my feet... I walk straight and have no wear on either sides of my normal shoes. Idk if that helps?

Thanks!!!

Way to go to start the committment! I did the running shoe store, assesment thing and honestly I ended up paying $130 for pavement pounders that hurt my ankles after about 6 months (Saucony's).

I ended up going to Finish Line and getting a pair of Brooks which were almost half the price (around $80) plus they are SUPER comfortable and cushion-y. It look my legs awhile to get used to them because I was so used to my other pair but the more I ran the more I got used to them.

I suggest you stay away from Nike's, that's the only other advice I would give. Their running shoes are just... not comfortable. at all.

Happy running! :)

So you went to a running store. Wore the same shoes for six months. Had issues. And blame them?

Nike's may not have been the right shoe for YOU. But are your nerve endings hardwired into the OP's feet? Are you using her feet without her knowing? Then how do you know which shoes are the right ones for her? I wear and have worn Nike's for years. For me Saucany is not comfortable. New Balance is so-so, Asics won't fit, Mizuno's are cramped. But that is just ME.

I suggest she finds out for herself with someone properly trained in Gait Analysis and finds the right pair that she is comfortable with.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    About a year ago, I bought a pair of running shoes from a department store (without a formal fitting) because I didn't want to invest in "real" running shoes if I wasn't going to like running. A year, 3 races, and an episode of shin splints later, I knew I had to go for the real deal.

I was fitted for new shoes this week and I absolutely love them (Mizuno Wave Runner 15's). I also have a high arch, so I also got a pair of inserts to support my arch - they make all the difference in the world.

One tip, if you don't want to invest in $100+ shoes is to go for a fitting, take note of what you like/what they recommend, and look for an older model of the same shoe online. The models don't change much from year to year. However, be prepared to spend ~$40 on inserts to support your arch (but these can be used for 4-5 pairs of shoes, so it's more of a one-time investment).

Good luck!

LIKE THIS RESPONSE! Properly fitted, yet frugal!
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Shoes are the single largest investment you will make in a running program. You don't need fancy pads, jerseys, sticks, or skates...you just need your shoes and the road. Going to a reputable running store is your best option. Quite often these will be the stores who promote races in your area (check out Active.Com for a listing of races...if you dig deep, you may find some stores sponsoring races in your area. I would suggest you do avoid larger chain stores as they tend to have younger, inexperienced staff... Walmart shoes do not lend themselves to happy feet)

Everyone's feet and gait are different. They will look at your gait and They will make recommendations based upon this. They will likely have you try on 3-4 different shoes to find a comfortable fit.

The best stores I find are the ones that actually have a treadmill and will let you run with the shoes for a few minutes. Its kind of a try before you buy program. Make sure the store also has a reasonable return policy. I've quite often brought home new shoes and found they weren't quite right once I hit the open road. You may want to return them if such is the case.

I can't stress how important your shoes are to a running program... also keep in mind that like any other piece of equipment your shoes will wear out. The recommended abuse cycle for a pair of quality running shoes is 500 miles or less. They can look brand new, but the support will break down on them and can actually lead to injury.

As you are a new runner, You may want to consider logging your mileage while running to track your progress. It helps monitor your shoe life, but is useful in tracking your progression. I usually record how far I've gone, how I've felt and what I thought I could do better. Now that I've been running for several years, I still look back and see what I did when I started. It reassures me of my growth and makes me feel fantastic.

Good Luck!

Enjoy the Road!

Thanks for all your advice :) I have no plan on skimping on my running shoes! Or socks for that matter lol
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    So, I am looking to starting C25K, and have gotten some really good advice from everyone on the site :)
    The main thing I keep hearing is GOOD RUNNING SHOES and how important it is! Most say go to a running store, and get fitted and tested for the shoes you need.. Which sounds like a great plan, and I am going to try to do that. But with 2 babies, Idk how going in there with my double stroller and keeping them occupied while I do various running tests and try on multiple pairs of shoes will go. lol

With that said... Are there certain Brands I should be looking for? What are the best? What are the generally good ones, that aren't necessarily the most expensive!? I don't want to walk in looking like I have no clue what I'm doing or looking for and get talked into buying the most expensive pair in the store because I'm distracted and ready to get out of there! LOL

I'm a beginning runner (you could pretty much say I've barely ran a day in my life, except from the cops as a kid lol) and I have a high arch. I do not walk on the inners, or outers of my feet... I walk straight and have no wear on either sides of my normal shoes. Idk if that helps?

Thanks!!!

Way to go to start the committment! I did the running shoe store, assesment thing and honestly I ended up paying $130 for pavement pounders that hurt my ankles after about 6 months (Saucony's).

I ended up going to Finish Line and getting a pair of Brooks which were almost half the price (around $80) plus they are SUPER comfortable and cushion-y. It look my legs awhile to get used to them because I was so used to my other pair but the more I ran the more I got used to them.

I suggest you stay away from Nike's, that's the only other advice I would give. Their running shoes are just... not comfortable. at all.

So you went to a running store. Wore the same shoes for six months. Had issues. And blame them?

Nike's may not have been the right shoe for YOU. But are your nerve endings hardwired into the OP's feet? Are you using her feet without her knowing? Then how do you know which shoes are the right ones for her? I wear and have worn Nike's for years. For me Saucany is not comfortable. New Balance is so-so, Asics won't fit, Mizuno's are cramped. But that is just ME.

I suggest she finds out for herself with someone properly trained in Gait Analysis and finds the right pair that she is comfortable with.

Not to mention, after 6 months, maybe the shoes just needed to be replaced. Every 300 to 600 miles is the norm.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Thanks!!!

Thank you! I was about to type the same response!

If you have a smart phone, a running app may help you track your shoe mileage. I use the Nike+ app, and I enter my shoe info and it keeps track of how many miles I've put on them so I know when to replace them. Replacement every 300-500 miles is pretty standard.