Clean eating ideas

Options
13»

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Is there a clean eating bible?

no, i don't think there is, but you can start with any book written by Michael Pollan. Also look into Polyface Farms (Joel Salatin) and these two will give you most of the information you need to get started.

actually the way the folks in the bible days ate was pretty clean

to be fair, they also sold their daughters...

edit: i'm thinking that's not a very nice statement because i shouldn't hash on christians. so i'm leaving it, but apologizing for it sincerely.

joel salatin is a christian, too. and i do love what he has to say. he's raises meat, which i don't typically consume, but i love the respect he has for the earth, the animals and his faith.
  • kayemme
    Options
    Baked Stuffed Red Peppers with Cherry Tomatoes, Feta, and Thyme

i'm having almost this for dinner tonight (sans tomatoes cuz they're not in season for us quite yet)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Is there a clean eating bible?

no, i don't think there is, but you can start with any book written by Michael Pollan. Also look into Polyface Farms (Joel Salatin) and these two will give you most of the information you need to get started.

actually the way the folks in the bible days ate was pretty clean

to be fair, they also sold their daughters...

the daughters didnt think it was so fair
  • amberlitaaa
    Options
    Check out some of Tosca Reno's books on clean eating! thegraciouspantry.com is also a good place to get started with clean eating, there's even a free printable guide to getting started, stocking your pantry and a lot more. :smile:

also, in terms of bread, some of Ezekiel bread is considered "clean". It's usually in the freezer section!
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I am really surprised by how many people get hung up over the words "processed and "unprocessed" on MFP. Unless you are picking your own food from your own garden (which some people do), your food is processed to a degree. Avacados are IQF'd in a processing plant for transport as they will spoil almost immediately.

I kinda prefer "fake" food to "real" food. A Twinkie is fake food. An Avacado is "real" food...

That's mostly my version of it too, I am a Real food eater lol. (mostly anyways)
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is not totally unprocessed foods - 5 ingredients or less with names that you recognize (no chemicals or preservatives). And no refined sugars or white carbs. You can't eat plain whole grains, you know. ;)

Add oatmeal to your list, that's a definite go-to in my house.

If it comes from a package bought from the store, it has more than 5 ingredients and is not clean.

Here is the ingredient label on my Tofu from Wegmans (a store): Water, Organic Whole Soy Beans, Calcium, Nigari

Not being a jerk - honestly confused as to what is "clean"

Honestly, I don't consider anything made from a grain and especially soy as being a clean item.

I barely purchase anything from a store. I even make my own personal hygiene, cleaning supplies and use essential oils and soap nuts in my laundry.

OK - wow, I have a lot to learn. I was proud of myself for substituting tofu for meat - ha! Is there something particular about soy that is negative on good health? I don't (knowingly) eat a lot of it, but I do like Tofu.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is not totally unprocessed foods - 5 ingredients or less with names that you recognize (no chemicals or preservatives). And no refined sugars or white carbs. You can't eat plain whole grains, you know. ;)

If it comes from a package bought from the store, it has more than 5 ingredients and is not clean.

Here is the ingredient label on my Tofu from Wegmans (a store): Water, Organic Whole Soy Beans, Calcium, Nigari

Honestly, I don't consider anything made from a grain and especially soy as being a clean item.

I barely purchase anything from a store. I even make my own personal hygiene, cleaning supplies and use essential oils and soap nuts in my laundry.

OK - wow, I have a lot to learn. I was proud of myself for substituting tofu for meat - ha! Is there something particular about soy that is negative on good health? I don't (knowingly) eat a lot of it, but I do like Tofu.

I have Thyroid issues so soy is a big no no.

And for some men (not all) it can greatly affect testosterone levels causing them to decrease due to being soy being estrogenic.

Now, fermented soy (like Asians use) is not like the soy found in the US. I was also told if your going to eat soy products to seek out fermented soy products at International or Asian stores.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Check out some of Tosca Reno's books on clean eating! thegraciouspantry.com is also a good place to get started with clean eating, there's even a free printable guide to getting started, stocking your pantry and a lot more. :smile:

also, in terms of bread, some of Ezekiel bread is considered "clean". It's usually in the freezer section!

Yes, Ezekiel bread is sprouted grains..............No where near a "whole grain" wrap or bread product. Much different.
  • ctooch99
    Options

And for some men (not all) it can greatly affect testosterone levels causing them to decrease due to being soy being estrogenic.

Now, fermented soy (like Asians use) is not like the soy found in the US. I was also told if your going to eat soy products to seek out fermented soy products at International or Asian stores.

Ya know what, now that I think of it, it does make sense - Soy is one of those Monsanto - Franken crops that sems to be in everything like corn. Thanks for the info. Boy it is really frustrating and confusing trying to eat healthy these days!
  • kayemme
    Options
    Ya know what, now that I think of it, it does make sense - Soy is one of those Monsanto - Franken crops that sems to be in everything like corn. Thanks for the info. Boy it is really frustrating and confusing trying to eat healthy these days!

it is at first, but once you start to see, you can't stop. so keep your eyes peeled!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

I stick with farm raised and pastured meats, vegetables and fruits from farmers market and CSA membership, family members and the pick your own gardens and orchards.

Meat, fat , vegetables and fruit are what I eat.

Simple.
  • ctooch99
    Options

it is at first, but once you start to see, you can't stop. so keep your eyes peeled!

Gotta say, since I have been on MFP and talking to folks like you on these threads, I am beginning to see the Matrix... scary how much garbage is in our food...
  • ctooch99
    Options

I stick with farm raised and pastured meats, vegetables and fruits from farmers market and CSA membership, family members and the pick your own gardens and orchards.

Meat, fat , vegetables and fruit are what I eat.

Simple.

I hear ya - gonna have to seek those out in my community - I go to a small butcher shop, but I will have to see where he gets his meat from (I know it sure tastes better than anything from big stores).
  • kayemme
    Options
    Also check out Clean Eating magazine. I like it for recipes and ideas. They also have a website: cleaneating.com

oh, i'll check this out! thank you for the tip!

edit: wow, this site is great! even the meaty meals can easily be turned vegetarian!
  • angiezturn
    angiezturn Posts: 49
    Options
    wow love the site!! It has a ton of recipes!! Thanks for the advice. :D
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I don't have any staple - but I remembered I had found the blog thegraciouspantry.com and she has a ton of recipes. I think she also has several lists of staple foods.

I LOVE that site!

I make a lot of smoothies for breakfast - my fav being Greek yogurt, frozen banana, honey, and spinach with a splash of almond milk.
    I make sure to get plenty of things for salads - greens, carrots, beets, radishes, and even fruit. Also add nuts like almonds or walnuts to salads = YUM!