Who is supported 100% or not at all, I am not :(

Options

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Ahh geez. I get this all the time from EVERYONE!

When i told my MIL about mfp and my goal to lose 100 lbs, she brings up donuts. SERIOUSLY.
    My coworkers are like "Noooo - consider your bone structure...just lose 50 lbs and you will be good! (which would put me at 200lbs!! still obese!)

In my past attempts, this has happened all the time.

I think some people subconsciously sabotage others when it comes to success...and with weight - i find people who are also insecure with their weight, tend to sabotage more than others who are comfortable in their self esteem.
  • brunette824
    brunette824 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! my family just doesn't think I can do it because I've always been a yo yo dieter so anytime I talk to them they don't take me seriously. It sucks they cant be supportive but I use it to fuel my fire so I can prove to them that I can do it anyways!
  • lilorphann
    lilorphann Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Today is my 500th straight day logging into mfp, and I've been lucky enough to have my hubby and my son right beside me the whole time. Collectively we've lost 380 pounds in that time, without surgery, drugs, or fads. Our families and friends are so supportive, even at functions and get togethers where there's food, there's always something for us to eat. We've even managed to introduce our healthy eating habits to some of them!
    I know support is so crucial in changing your life and eating healthy and getting fit. I cannot even imagine not having it. I'm sorry to those of you having to go it alone, if anyone feels like they'd like to add me for support or encouragement, please feel free to do so. I'd love to offer whatever I can to you.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that you aren't getting the Support you need. I would honestly sit him down and tell him you are going to do this with or without his support, and that you would prefer to have his support instead of his criticism. Maybe he doesn't realize how it is affecting you. Maybe he doesn't know how to be supportive. But he needs to know that he can't keep doing that.
  • tequillarose04
    tequillarose04 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I also have no support from family or friends...ive struggled with weight forever & also seem to be the topic of conversation as i lost/gain the weight...its hard to deal with, but IM GOING TO DO THIS!! AND YOU WILL TOO!! The support ive found on this site is AMAZING! Im pretty much addicted & knowing im doing it healthy makes me feel way better... Were all in this together regardless of the support from the 'outside' world, the 'inside' world (MFP community) will support us until we complete our goal & beyond....Feel free to add me, Id love to support you & could use a good kick in the butt when i get off track(it happens to everyone sometime).....
    Hang in there, MPF WILL help you complete you goal....Keep smiling! :)
  • Michellemtjpjt
    Options
    Thank you I hope that happen hope he finally see the changes that I am doing this for me :) and that is great yr wife is supporting U :)

I'm sure he will, if he doesn't then maybe you can do better ;)

Funny I should post of this, my OH has just informed me over lunch that on my 'high protein diet' (it isn't, it's adequate protein) someone at her workpace mentioned that they read 'a study' (What another one? Don't we have enough already ;)) that suggests that I have an increased risk of bowel cancer.

It's this kind of stuff that really helps me through the day with a smile on my face.

She says this as she is main-lining some sugar for lunch and will inevitably snack on some similar junk into the night.

And I could have sworn she was complaining about 'not being able to fit into anything anymore' recently.

<sigh>

I'm off for a walk and to contemplate whether being single is actually that bad after all.
    People always say the craziest things lol but at least you left the stupid statement alone
  • Michellemtjpjt
    Options
    I also have no support from family or friends...ive struggled with weight forever & also seem to be the topic of conversation as i lost/gain the weight...its hard to deal with, but IM GOING TO DO THIS!! AND YOU WILL TOO!! The support ive found on this site is AMAZING! Im pretty much addicted & knowing im doing it healthy makes me feel way better... Were all in this together regardless of the support from the 'outside' world, the 'inside' world (MFP community) will support us until we complete our goal & beyond....Feel free to add me, Id love to support you & could use a good kick in the butt when i get off track(it happens to everyone sometime).....
    Hang in there, MPF WILL help you complete you goal....Keep smiling! :)
    We are in the same boat but as long as we have the support we can make it for sure :) this site is awesome I feel i will finally conquer this weight :)
  • Michellemtjpjt
    Options
    I am supported. My fiance doesn't go out of his way to ask about my weight loss but comments on how he can notice it. My family is alright with it, mum encourages me to keep going and one of my sisters is on here as well. The other is also losing weight, so its great to have that support.

I'm really sorry you aren't supported, not only is it upsetting but discouraging. Use that and show them you can do it! If you want me as your MFP friend I will support you 100%. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    That is awesome for you and thanks for being supportive for me this site is the best :) I am learning about the positive post from anyone :)
  • Michellemtjpjt
    Options

When i told my MIL about mfp and my goal to lose 100 lbs, she brings up donuts. SERIOUSLY.
    My coworkers are like "Noooo - consider your bone structure...just lose 50 lbs and you will be good! (which would put me at 200lbs!! still obese!)

I think some people subconsciously sabotage others when it comes to success...and with weight - i find people who are also insecure with their weight, tend to sabotage more than others who are comfortable in their self esteem.
  • Michellemtjpjt
    Options

Omg this is the same thing I went through, when the weight was coming off people really thought I was taking drugs lol. Also the food everyone kept on telling me stop eating all the healthy food and have some pizza. I feel my family is so use to seeing me fat being skinny would be horrible to them :(
  • Michellemtjpjt
    Options
    I feel the same way! my family just doesn't think I can do it because I've always been a yo yo dieter so anytime I talk to them they don't take me seriously. It sucks they cant be supportive but I use it to fuel my fire so I can prove to them that I can do it anyways!

Well you have me and us on MFP we will do it support or not from family. WE have each other for support for a life time :) hugs
  • Michellemtjpjt
    Options
    Today is my 500th straight day logging into mfp, and I've been lucky enough to have my hubby and my son right beside me the whole time. Collectively we've lost 380 pounds in that time, without surgery, drugs, or fads. Our families and friends are so supportive, even at functions and get togethers where there's food, there's always something for us to eat. We've even managed to introduce our healthy eating habits to some of them!
    I know support is so crucial in changing your life and eating healthy and getting fit. I cannot even imagine not having it. I'm sorry to those of you having to go it alone, if anyone feels like they'd like to add me for support or encouragement, please feel free to do so. I'd love to offer whatever I can to you.

FIRST SCREAMING CONGRATS WTG THAT IS AMAZING !!!!!! That is amazing wow what a milestone and the support amazing i am so happy for u and yr family. Also thank you for that I am learning MFP is amazing and you get so much support :)
  • Jani2416
    Jani2416 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The only support I get 100% is from my friends on here.
  • JFae32
    JFae32 Posts: 15
    Options
    Looking for support buddies :)
  • BellaAbrianna
    Options
    Oh ya my husband loves me but he isn't my support person. My friends are the best but they want me to eat and drink with them and skip my workouts. My support person who keeps me on the right path for diet and exercise is my personal trainer. He's the only one I listen to about anything to do with my fitness, weight etc. It's impossible to sort through all the well intentioned advice that you get from all directions. Try to follow what makes sense to you then just do it. Only tell those who will support you or you'll find yourself frustrated. Everyone on here is so nice and supportive, maybe find some good supporters here for your journey. Good luck!!
  • MrsCCWoods
    MrsCCWoods Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    i have always gotten my support from my husband and friends and family, it's funny watching my husband try to do zumba with me it's alot of fun. I am sorry to hear that you are having a hard time getting the support you need from love ones
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    I understand. It's great to do it for yourself, but it feels so great when people acknowledge your effort and results. My mom is supportive, but I don't think she really gets my approach to my weight loss. She says that I'm constantly eating and I need to watch it or else I'm gonna get fat, I've told her many times that I'm eating my allotted amount of calories and that I rather eat small meals frequently than eat a meal and feel bloated with out energy. I work most of my calories off and I think it is hard to eat them back. I am losing pounds and inches, I see it, but it sucks to constantly hear that discouragement and disbelief. Just keep your head up and tell everyone around you what you are doing for yourself and how their comments affect your progress. There is no reason any one should be discouraging anyone who is trying to become more healthy.
  • proudmommy1003
    proudmommy1003 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel my husband has never said anything about the 45lbs i've lost. Everybody has noticed except him. At the beginning i Wanted to get fit for him but i was totally wrong now i wanna be fit for myself. He also tells me things that hurt so much like "You think you gonna get skinny" in a sarcastic way when he sees me eating something sweet or a chocolate.
    Dont get discourage eventually you'll see the change in your body and you'll be so happy that wont matter if they support you or not...
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you came here for support. I'd have a really hard time handling a man like that after the past I've had. Just tell him, even though it made HIM become stronger, it's tearing you down and stressing you and when you stress you eat. Let him know that what he's doing is wrong and it's hurting you not helping you. I have a supportive boyfriend and my family worries. My brothers joke, but not in a bad way. They're both proud. My mom worries I'll hurt myself, but she still tells me she's proud of me. You need friends like us to say you're doing SO great.

I'm a stress -non- eater so it's a struggle to make myself eat. In the past, I would overeat and the more depressed I became in both marriages I had, the more weight I packed on. I was miserable.
  • Michellemtjpjt
    Options
    I am so sorry that you aren't getting the Support you need. I would honestly sit him down and tell him you are going to do this with or without his support, and that you would prefer to have his support instead of his criticism. Maybe he doesn't realize how it is affecting you. Maybe he doesn't know how to be supportive. But he needs to know that he can't keep doing that.
    He really dont because of the way he great up, everyone was tough on him. I am speaking to him and praying one day he grow the heck up
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!