Okay, I bought Vanilla Protein powder... Now what?????

Options
ExplorinLauren
ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
So, I've posted about this before, but now unfortunately its not in "My Topics" So....

I ALWAYS buy chocolate powder. I drink it plain.. with skim.
But I hear of MILLIONS of great protein drinks... and I would love to try them.

So I ventured into Vanilla. Figured I could add some yogurt, berries, whatever and it would be amazing.....
I 1st (and only) tried Greek yogurt, frozen berries, splash of milk and scoop of vanilla... it was gross. lol
Did I do something wrong??? Or is that just really how it tastes? lol Do you guys have recipes you would like to share??? Even for the Chocolate I always have on hand??

Thanks!!

Replies

• hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this as well - I love the ON double chocolate, but wanted to diversify, so picked up a pouch of the Jay Robb vanilla a couple of weeks ago...blech! Today I bought ON Natural Vanilla, hoping it'd be better, but the consistency is soooo different than the chocolate. I'm hoping I'll find some recipes I can use this stuff in and learn to love it. :)
  • j5c077
    j5c077 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    what kind did you get?
    bc bsn syntha6 vanilla is delicious, with just plain water
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    cake batter protein shake!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    someome once shared this with me. vanilla protein powder, ice, plain almond milk (or skim or whatever), a serving of fat free cottage cheese, 2 tb peanut butter, sugar free jello pudding powder (butterscotch flavor).

or sometimes ill do the powder, ice, milk, cottage cheese and fruit.
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Maybe its the brand your using? I use to HATE vanilla flavored protein powder and only used chocolate. Recently switched and i love it. Also learned on here to put it in your oatmeal. YUM!

Oh and I use EAS vanilla protein. They have a "light" version of it as well if needed.
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I found a receipe on here months ago that I use.

Base shake
    1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
    1/2 to 1 cup water
    rounded scoop of protein powder (mine is vanilla ice cream flavor)
    5-10 ice cubes

Mix ins:
    strawberries and bananas
    peanut butter
    chocolate syrup
    key lime jello mix

I actually cut up my bananas and freeze them, then I don't even have to add ice. Love these evey morning!
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Weird that it tasted gross- that is a pretty standard shake - what brand did you get? If you try other variations and still come out yucky- do a 50/50 split with your chocolate to get rid of the vanilla. Just a thought.

Vanilla is my old stand by- cuz you can mix berries or greens or whatever, and usually comes out tasty. May just be the brand you got?
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I like apple, peanut butter, cinnamon, vanilla protein powder and milk all in a blender with some ice.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I use jillian's protein powder.

One scoop powder
    1/2 cup blue berries Frozen are good.
    One banana
    1/2 cup plain yogurt
    1/4 cup water
    Blend
    Add crushed ice. It tastes better when it's really cold
    Blend again

It's delish!! If too thick add more water or ice.
  • gobluegirl78
    Options
    Sometimes the vanilla flavours are nasty. Try adding a banana and some OJ.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    it was the greek yogurt. :P It's great by it's own with fruit, but in a drink the tartness spreads. you need to use just regular yogurt and vanilla flavored, not plain. plain is sour like sour cream.
  • starcyndycyn
    Options
    I love all Spirutein shakes, and their vanilla is great! I usually mix a scoop of it with 8 ounces of skim milk, some ice cubes, and either a banana, or whatever frozen fruit I have: mangos are great, as are cherries, blueberries, mixed berries of various types. I've also had success adding hemp grains, frozen fig puree, and dates!

I love to make smoothies too, using plain yogurt as a base. Add frozen fruit, coconut water, and enjoy! One I love esp. is coconut water, mango, a little big of OJ or OJ concentrate, and plain yogurt. You can even add some avocado if you like! It sounds weird, but it's amazing!
  • Jodibear58
    Jodibear58 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I saw some yummy looking treats on a site called delicious dishes...
  • rockerbaby2003
    rockerbaby2003 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I put half a frozen banana with vanilla soy milk and vanilla protein powder and a few berries.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this as well - I love the ON double chocolate, but wanted to diversify, so picked up a pouch of the Jay Robb vanilla a couple of weeks ago...blech! Today I bought ON Natural Vanilla, hoping it'd be better, but the consistency is soooo different than the chocolate. I'm hoping I'll find some recipes I can use this stuff in and learn to love it. :)

I LIKE vanilla usually- but wasn't really fond of the Jay Robb either.
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I like the EAS Vanilla Soy Protein just in cold water. (I cannot do the Whey protein.) But I've also made shakes with it. I used some frozen berries and orange juice and it was pretty good.

Good luck!
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I made the best smoothie: Vanilla protein powder, 1 cup fat free milk, 1/2 frozen banana, 1 frozen mango and 4 frozen strawberries. 369 calories Very filling, lots of vitamin C and potassium too!
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I add the EAS Vanilla powder to my oatmeal in the mornings (after I cook the oatmeal with almond milk), and I really like it. A little cinnamon and it's great!
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite:

Makes 2 hugeee servings (16-24 oz) ~250 cals a serving
    1/2 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
    1/2 cup skim milk
    One banana
    Two scoops of powder (I use dymatize elite - delicious!)
    3/4 cup whatever fruit you want
    10 ice cubes
    Throw it all in a blender

It certainly fills me up for breakfast!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    So, I've posted about this before, but now unfortunately its not in "My Topics" So....

I ALWAYS buy chocolate powder. I drink it plain.. with skim.
    But I hear of MILLIONS of great protein drinks... and I would love to try them.

So I ventured into Vanilla. Figured I could add some yogurt, berries, whatever and it would be amazing.....
    I 1st (and only) tried Greek yogurt, frozen berries, splash of milk and scoop of vanilla... it was gross. lol
    Did I do something wrong??? Or is that just really how it tastes? lol Do you guys have recipes you would like to share??? Even for the Chocolate I always have on hand??

Thanks!!

buy sweet cream flavor of the Body by Vi protein shake mix. In my personal smoothie maker, i add a cup of fruit.. (i prefer blueberries and strawberries) mix your own accordig to what you like. Then i put the powder on the top and add about 2-3 oz. of diet green tea. Then, i blend it up. Once blended, i add ice to fill the cup & blend. If its too thick, add a small amount of liquid & blend until you get the right consistancy.

**i also buy fruit in bulk when i can find it... grind it all up with a little liquid and pour inito ice trays to freeze. then, in my personal smoothie maker, i add about 8 "ice cubes" of the frozen fruit, the powder and a small amount of liquid & blend! DELISH!

(i also add one spoon of fiber to each shake to help with making me stay fuller, longer.

Edited to say the smoothie is about 180 calories total.