Pasta is the devil

Options

Replies

• Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Pooks1n1Schmoops Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    That does help. I've used them to make wraps and stuff. The kids like them too!
    eat tortilla shells instead of bread if you have a sandwich or something. Sweet potatoes over 'regular' potatoes.
  • javagsd
    javagsd Posts: 82
    Options
    There's a very good quinoa pasta sold in the bulk bins of many health foods stores. I like it better than many pasta alternatives, like whole wheat, because it isn't at all mushy or rough textured. But it's still the devil :-( We get more nutrition per calorie from the whole wheat/corn/artichoke/quinoa postas, but just as many carbs.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Tofu low-cal noodles!

But I warn you... They smell HORRIBLE when you take them out of the package! Rinse well!!

Also, better to only cook what you're going to eat for that meal-they can get a little wattery.. (They are made of soybeans afterall..)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I disagree with your premise.
  • NanaDino4
    NanaDino4 Posts: 63
    Options
    If you can get it Dreamfields pasta is the best...low in net carbs and a serving will fill you up ....
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Sweets aren't really my go to thing. It's always been carbs. Brea, pasta, potatoes. I could exist on carbs alone. Ok, maybe cheese too. Does anyone know of any substitutes for carbs that are actually satisfying?

I still eat pasta. I love it. I just make sure I have a big salad so that I can eat less pasta.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    AGGAHHGHHHwhatshesaid... I made fresh pasta yesterday and almost cried it was so good. all things in moderation hon.. by the way... I've started putting pizza toppings (sauce, cheese, pepperoni, sausage and hot peppers) on an egg roll wrapper and rolling it up and baking.. it saves a LOT of cals and satisfies my urge.... other times I just go for the crust..I've also been doing sweet potato fries in the oven.. yummy... half a tatoe at outback... I'm eating it all.... but less... I do love me some fontinella cheese but i each much much less than i used to..
  • jadejadelee
    Options
    Carbs are not the devil. That's just silly. A low Carb diet is just a low calorie diet in disguise. Eat within your limit and you're fine.

Agree! Love carbs, get loads of energy from them. My method to swap out half of the portion for salad.

So if I am having pasta with pesto stored through I have half a bowl with baby spinach mixed through to fill the bowl up. The spinach gets all wilty and warm, yum.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    If you're already using the packaged low carb breads and pastas without issue I don't see any reason to stop using them but these two articles are worth reading and convinced me I don't want to go down that path.

The Dreamfields Pasta Fraud:
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/the-dreamfields-pasta-fraud

Low carb bread: Another fairy tale bites the dust:
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb-bread-another-fairy-tale-bites-the-dust
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm going to eat the devil tonight, covered in alfredo sauce.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Carbs are my downfall to, more specifically grains-any type. I find the best thing for me is to follow a "paleo" type diet. I get my carbs from fruits and veggies.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the devil. That's just silly. A low Carb diet is just a low calorie diet in disguise. Eat within your limit and you're fine.

I totally agree, I follow the eat well plate, within my calorie goals, and I've been losing weight just fine :smile:

eatwellplatesmall2.jpg

The two biggest sections in that place - fruit & veg and strachy carbs - nothing wrong with them:smile:

Nothing wrong with them as long as you don't have insulin resistance. Most seriously overweight people do have insulin resistance.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Few foods are as healthy as pasta(assuming healthy sauce, etc....). I think you are better off practicing portion control then changing your diet. Sophia Lauren eats a big bowl of pasta every day, "nuff said.
  • sun33082
    Options
    I've tried substituting some things for higher carb stuff. The really difficult part is my teenage boys. I can't even imagine the mutiny on my hands if I tried to replace pizza crust with cauliflower lol.
    Sweets aren't really my go to thing. It's always been carbs. Brea, pasta, potatoes. I could exist on carbs alone. Ok, maybe cheese too. Does anyone know of any substitutes for carbs that are actually satisfying?

i am/was in the same boat. i have found that fiber is my friend.

therefore, i try to find other things that will work "in place" of bread & pasta, excepting when i'm at a party. so for instance, i use zucchini as a "noodle" replacement, cauliflower as a "pizza crust" and drink a crap ton of water. keep an eye on the recipes section of the forums. there are a lot of great "replacements"

the summertime is a perfect time to start replacing or eliminating simple carbs from the diet because there's so much available so inexpensively.

you might feel a little crappy at first, but then you start to feel SUPER good.

Eh teenage boys will eat anything.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    I guess I'm going to eat the devil tonight, covered in alfredo sauce.
    LOL Sounds delicious!

One of my new favorite dishes is this alfredo sauce over chicken and broccoli. I've made it twice already and the only thing I change is I cut the whole recipes in half (it's just me and my husband) and only use 1/2 a cup of parmesan to keep the calories reasonable.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/alfredo-sauce-2/
  • sun33082
    Options

I've read reviews on diabetics who have tried Dreamfields pasta and even though it's supposed to be "protected carbs" it sent their blood sugar soaring. I've read the reviews on Carba Nada pasta and people have tested their blood sugar after eating it and had no large spikes. That's why I choose Carba Nada.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with them as long as you don't have insulin resistance. Most seriously overweight people do have insulin resistance.

I don't have insulin resistance, I have (had?) full-blown 400 blood glucose diabetes, and carbs still aren't the devil. But, you do need to watch what sort of carbs you eat. I follow a plant-base, low-gi, low-fat diet that doesn't otherwise restrict carbs, and my last A1C reading was 4.7.
  • sun33082
    Options

I don't have insulin resistance, I have (had?) full-blown 400 blood glucose diabetes, and carbs still aren't the devil. But, you do need to watch what sort of carbs you eat. I follow a plant-base, low-gi, low-fat diet that doesn't otherwise restrict carbs, and my last A1C reading was 4.7.

The post I was responding to suggested that 1/3 of the plate could be starchy carbs and there was nothing wrong with them. I don't avoid all carbs either.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta and have been for months and have not had any issue with losing weight. I'll eat 2 servings of ravioli and lose weight. So tired of seeing "can't eat bread. can't eat pasta. can't have this. can't have that."
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    I eat pasta and have been for months and have not had any issue with losing weight. I'll eat 2 servings of ravioli and lose weight. So tired of seeing "can't eat bread. can't eat pasta. can't have this. can't have that."
    Valerie, I can't speak for anyone else but for me personally I've been losing weight very successfully for the last six months on a diet that included whole wheat pasta and bread. But when I cut out the grains and cut back on the fruit I was absolutely amazed that need to eat every couple of hours went with it. I can wait to eat until I feel real, physical hunger for the first time in years and I don't want to give that up for anything.

I can understand if appetite control isn't an issue for you but for a lot of us it is and this works for some people--it's a good thing, nothing to get annoyed over. :)