Is coffee bad for you?

Options
13»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am glad I don't experience any side effects from my coffee consumption. Doesn't even effect my sleep cycles. Guess I have developed a tolerance.
    Hope you're feeling better now :)

I am thanks!!! I think that it was the kind of thing that crept up on me. I was tolerant for a good 20 years drinking 5-6 cups a day, like you, but then I think that I turned 40 and my body had had enough. A friend of mine had the exact same thing happen to him around the same age. :) sux getting older

Does not necessarily happen. I have been drinking more than that for over 20 years and am well into my 40's now - no issues so far.
  • Munchkinated
    Options
    I drink coffee daily. I usually just drink it black, but sometimes I use half and half. It depends on my mood. I can't say it's ever contributed to a weightloss plateau since I've never suffered a weightloss plateau. Either I'm a special snowflake or the idea that coffee stalls weightloss is crap. On gym days I chug down some coffee before going to the gym to get me motivated.

Lucky you. I've never actually stopped my coffee intake to see if it actually makes any difference to my weight loss. I don't think I'll be able to anyway.
  • RachelReady2Run
    RachelReady2Run Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Moderation! I am a huge coffee fan, always black, and only one cup in the morning. For Christmas my fiancee and I are loaded with bags and bags of coffee from our relatives.

However, because I'm insane, I stopped drinking coffee for the summer so that I can help get my teeth whiter before my wedding. The only reason that I could pull this off is because I'm a teacher and I have summer vacation. I don't think that I could just quit in the middle of everything.
  • BVannillie
    BVannillie Posts: 140
    Options
    I love coffee, but I had side-effects from it and the Doctor was worried about a few things, like my blood pressure and me having heart palpitations, and said I should cut down. Then I read a study which said there was a link between miscarriages and caffeine, and I gave it up altogether. I'm not even planning to get pregnant as I don't want kids, but I just thought if caffeine can do that then it's not something I want to be ingesting. I know lots of people scoff at the idea of studies like that, and they are free to, so I won't suggest you follow my lead. But yea, that is my experience with it. My heart rate is normal and my heart palpitations are gone, and my teeth are much whiter also, so I don't regret it at all.
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Does not necessarily happen. I have been drinking more than that for over 20 years and am well into my 40's now - no issues so far.

of course not, but wouldn't you like to know that it is a possibility? I certainly had no idea at the time that it happened to me, because I thought that I was unaffected by it. I had been unaffected for 20 years.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    :love: Coffee does have some great benefits:love:

**Great potassium
    **low in calories
    **great energy burst prior to/or after a great workout

And yes, black coffee is best......it is the additives that can get alil on the crazy side

And here's another thing though...it is a diuretic..soooooooooooooooooo yes, drink your H2o.....just don't replace it with coffee/tea only. I drink my coffee, sometimes a lot more than usual, but I still drink my water just the same if not more :wink:

I workout a ton...soooo I definitely need my caffeine...ha!!!
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    One cup of black coffee in the morning? No, research shows that this isn't bad for healthy adults. If you drink excessive amounts of coffee each day or you are experiencing side effects, then you should definitely consider cutting back.

Biology: According to the Mayo Clinic, there is little to no evidence that coffee significantly affects weight gain or loss. With this in mind, consider it just as you would anything else in your diet. Think of the calories and fat content in the overall beverage (e.g. you may want to stay away from those high cal specialty drinks). If this is a problem for you, consider making a gradual change rather than going cold turkey. I used to drink my coffee with a ton of sugar and cream, so I gradually tamed this down (e.g. 2 tsps-->1.75 tsps--->1.5 tsps, etc). I'm now down to just a half tsp of sugar and a tbsp of skim milk.

Behavior: One thing you may want to consider is how drinking coffee affects the likelihood that you will or will not engage in healthier behaviors. For example, I've noticed that I personally wake up hungry but end up skipping breakfast if I drink coffee. On days that I skip breakfast (and/or lunch), I tend to binge on snacks or dinner later in the day bumping my caloric intake way up and teaching my body to save and store in the evenings for the long haul of the day. To trim down, I'm trying to follow a diet that involves eating small portions of healthy foods every 3 hours, but going straight for coffee in the morning makes this harder for me to do. To switch things around and set myself up for success, I've set the rule that I need to eat something before pouring a cup.

Overall lesson, I didn't have to eliminate coffee from my diet but I did have to change how and when I drank it.
  • Natsume
    Natsume Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Coffee is good for you if you process the caffeine well.
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-coffee
    According to this article, the antioxidants in coffee help with your heart and energy level, but only if you metabolize the caffeine slowly. If you process it quickly, you will get the "jitters" and other likely not be able to sleep.
    I drink 2 cups of coffee on work days with just enough skim milk to turn the coffee a carmal type color. I love it, and it helps keep me "regular."
    Hopefully the article will help you make an informed decision about your addiction. My thought is that coffee is good if you drink it in moderation (I can't have more than 3 hups without pinging) and limit what you add to it.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've said it once and I'll say it again...

You'll have to pry coffee out of my cold, dead hands.

I don't care what anyone says.. for the well being of those around me, I will continue drinking my morning coffee.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Addictions are bad. Start there. Caffeine isn't bad in moderation. How about 2 cups of coffee each day. Pay attention to what you put in it- that can be the downfall. I drink coffee or take in other caffeine daily- weight loss happening. Drinking coffee right now actually and I should be writing a paper, but instead I'm replying to this post. :)
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    i have 1 cup a day. hasn't hurt my weight loss at all. :)
  • Skinnymunkii
    Skinnymunkii Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Love. My. Coffee.
  • jchizick
    jchizick Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes coffee is fine it helps give you a boost in the gym and helps with fat loss. But once a week you should try to limit your intake so your tolerance can come back down.
  • johnhowson
    johnhowson Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Well drinking lots is great advice for anyone dieting. I love coffee too, but too much coffee clearly is not good same as too much of anything. I used to drink 5 or 6 mugs a day but working on the principle that it is good to kick anything that is becoming too much of an addiction I gave it up and had a long dry period. Now I drink fresh coffee in the morning and don't touch it after that. Don't believe the medical stuff either one way or the other.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Well I'm not blowing the doors off the scale, but it's coming off slow and steady. It doesn't seem to bother my loss. Not having it would stress me more and I'm a stress eater, so no coffee would slow it up. :sad: :cry: Just the thought of no coffee is very depressing, I have to go make a new pot. :drinker:

I average 6-10 cups of coffee along with 10-16 cups of water.
    [/quote]

THIS^^^^ could have been written by me