Facebook or MFP? Which do you prefer? Better friends?

Options

Replies

• MissShancey
    MissShancey Posts: 464
    Options
    MFP hands down... everybody on here is so amazing... im on here FAR more then im on facebook .. the only thing i hate is that all my friends on here are from the states and im in canada :(

but i love this site!!! <3 you guys <3
  • Here2GetFit
    Here2GetFit Posts: 292
    Options
    I deleted my FB, most liberating thing I've done. Such a relief to not have to deal with FB drama, everyone up in your business. MFP and Twitter are where it's at.

Mmmm. The thought of being up in your business. :love:
  • bbaker172
    bbaker172 Posts: 93
    Options
    I deleted my FB last Sunday night. I was spending way to much time on it and not enough with my kids, the house, or myself. It's sad how much more free time I have.
    That, and I can't be around a lot of negativity, it throws my anxiety into fits...so I avoid it as much as possible, and that is one negative place.

MFP has much nicer people!! I'm glad I found it!
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Two completely different things. FB is where I keep in touch with my widely geographically dispersed family and friends. We plan get togethers and trips, hear about the fun and not so fun, and share information about the world. But here is where I talk about weight loss and exercise and health. My friends here are also FB and Twitter friends. But there we talk about our whole lives with all of our friends. Here we talk about our weight loss goals, victories, and bumps in the road. I don't want to be obsessed with this part of my life, so compartmentalize it here. Then I can share sparingly along the way with everyone over there as I choose to.
  • lostwisdom
    lostwisdom Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I used to spend a lot of time on facebook, just checking what random people are up to that I don't even care about tbh! It's useful for keeping in touch with a few friends but since getting MFP I rarely go on it! Everyone's super friendly on here that I have added, and really supportive too! Plus weight loss and fitness are becoming a big part of my life.. and I can talk about it all I want here, share tips, encourage others and so much more! ^_^
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I F*&^ing hate facebook. But I am afraid to get rid of it lol
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    MFP takes the cake. Facebook friends don't provide any support.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    MFP. There are no invites, help requests, and gifts for random games I don't play over here. No, I don't want to be your neighbor in Sims Social. :indifferent:
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    No doubt about it, MFP is way better! This website has amazing people and everyone is so supportive and inspiring! I definitely have some awesome friends here who I would be excited to meet in real life if I had the opportunity :)
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to pick one over the other? I have both open in separate tabs and can flip back and forth. Sometimes I even copy/paste my status updates from one to the other.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I'd never get rid of my FB...all the people I know and grew up with, see on a regular basis, and family is on FB. I don't post on there as much as I do here as changing my life health wise is my top priority but still, my FB family is very important to me.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My friends on FB are my real friends. Most are people I know in real life -- friends and family. Some are people I met on Internet forums and got to know well (and many of them I've met IRL, too).

FB and MFP to me are two very different websites with different purposes. I like my friends on both sites and some are my friends on both sites.

And some of my MFP friends are people I actually know, too.
  • RunnerFive
    RunnerFive Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I F*&^ing hate facebook. But I am afraid to get rid of it lol

Same here!!!
  • Briski1411
    Briski1411 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    MFP is where all of my beautiful friends are!! FB is where all my history is. I like FB it allows me to keep incontact with friends a family back home, but MFP is full of like minded ppl who care about my weight loss journey. Plus they appreciate the support that I give them in return.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I've actually deactivated my fb account. I've made some pretty solid friendships on here and I typically turn to them than my 'real-life' friends. My issue with facebook is that it should not be used as a lifeline of communication. It's really desnsitized and I really do not care which married cop so-and-so was with last night.
    If my real friends need me, they will have to resort to the phone or actual human-to-human interaction...the horror! haha
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    MFP on Facebook I just get a bunch of random weird people trying to become friends with me.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    hi all,

i have gotten to the point where i really dont go on fb as often since i have discovered mfp. I started with zero friends now i have many. I have a large handful that i would even trust to watch my dog for an afternoon. I have a smaller group that have been super supportive and i know we would be great friends outside of mfp as well and i am sure there are many others that would fall into this category that i havent gotten to know yet.

Kinda sick of fb. Half my friends on there i really have nothing in common with and it would be torture to sit at starbucks with them for 15 mins. So mfp gets my vote. They should add a like button however.

I completely agree with ALL of the above!!! I haven't been on FB in months b/c it is a bunch of nothing on there to me...On MFP, I have learned so much and become close friends with quite a few people on my FL who I have quite a bit in common with...On FB it is only good to get on to see pictures that my family from out of town may post but other than that I would rather not even login...Thank goodness for MFP!!!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of this last night, so this morning I unfriended enough people to bring me to 75 friends all people I actually know and like. MFP is much better, at least on my facebook wall it seems there is a competition to be the most "clever" and tease and a lot of it is borderline insulting. The people I've met on here and had some interaction with I would love to hang out with from time to time, most of my facebook friends I avoid at all costs.

The only saving grace for facebook is that I live 2000 miles from my sister and niece and nephews, I love seeing their updates and photos, if it wasn't got that I'd deactivate that in a heartbeat. Also My grandparents all use it too and they enjoy seeing what everyone in the family is up to they believe it keeps them in the "loop" so that's cool too.
  • ndnmomma
    ndnmomma Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Both for different reasons..I can be more myself on here, what with my mom, grandma, and well my not so thrilled by my mouth and preference for late night drinking chatter I get on here, friends on FB. Really I have a better relationship with my friends on here. I am accepted for me being me, and not judged, and trust me I'm a handful of wonderful. So if I were forced to choose..MFP it would be!
  • Bearded_Slakoth
    Bearded_Slakoth Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Well they are 2 completely different sites. But I am on MFP way more than I am Facebook.