Facebook or MFP? Which do you prefer? Better friends?

Options

Replies

• gemmalouise85
    gemmalouise85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I use facebook to talk to friends and family who live far away or I don't see often and mfp for my weightloss journey noone on my facebook knows im trying lose weight so when i'm having a bad food day I'll post it here and eeryone supports me.. so a bit of both really
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Two completely different things. FB is where I keep in touch with my widely geographically dispersed family and friends. We plan get togethers and trips, hear about the fun and not so fun, and share information about the world. But here is where I talk about weight loss and exercise and health. My friends here are also FB and Twitter friends. But there we talk about our whole lives with all of our friends. Here we talk about our weight loss goals, victories, and bumps in the road. I don't want to be obsessed with this part of my life, so compartmentalize it here. Then I can share sparingly along the way with everyone over there as I choose to.

2nd this comment

they are different. FB is for my friends I hang out with off the internet and MFP is for those who I share similar goals with but I don't actual know you.
  • mmarlow61
    mmarlow61 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Both but for different reasons
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I use FB for sharing photos and updates with family/friends who don't live close, a few months back I deleted a ton of friends there, got down to 125 but really I could delete 50more! Why I don't... Well I'm not too sure! Probably because I don't want to be rude!
    I love mfp, only been here 5weeks but am obsessed!
    Anyone who's looking for interactive friends is free to add me :-)
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    MFP

facebook causes drama in my life that I don't need. Something just happened TODAY about something I posted.

I like having friends I don't know in real life. They can't spread rumors and cause drama outside of this website for me.

I can also vent about things on here in which I would never say on facebook, because of the drama/people meddling.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    TheDreadPirateRoberts Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I prefer MFP (in fact I deleted my FB account last year) as its got a purpose and that purpose is a good one. FB I just saw as a time waster and a way to keep in touch with "friends" who I was so friendly with that the only place I saw them was online... so not friends.

I like the small group of people I have on my friend's list here, who seem to share my sense of humour or outlook. SOme are real friends, most are not.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Facebook: A large room full of peope I care about (for the most part), who know various unsavory details of my life through either experience or rumor. People who care about me (for the most part), some of whom care enough to click like, and an even smaller group who care to comment. People whose opinions of me affect me greatly only because of the connections they have to other people in my life, whether at my job or in my social circle. A social dance I feel obligated to participate in so as not to hurt anyone's feelings and skew their perception of me the wrong way. A way for everyone I know to constantly prove to the world that they are funny/witty/smart/hot, read their obnoxious inspirational graphic posts, and see a neverending stream of bathroom mirror pictures. A place where I am afraid to post my true feelings about anything; where I am forced to put on a smile and a happy status no matter the circumstances so as not to get a barrage of comments telling me how much worse it could be. A place where I don't talk about anything important because so many people will openly, and loudly, disagree or tell people who are not on my friend list what I said. Networking, pressure, opinions, arguments, sarcasm, social anxiety. Too much exposure, too many people, only a small percentage who truly care. Everyone else merely keeping tabs on you.

MFP: An even larger room full of people who cheer and celebrate no matter how few calories I burned today. People who don't care what I screwed up (or how badly), and never hesitate to comment on my status. A group of people who never feel jealousy or hatred, just pure support. No opposite political leanings to worry about, no strained personal relationships. Support without complications. A social place without the pressure of networking or the negativity that can come from being too close to people all the time. A place where I know I can go if I'm having a hard day and no one will chastise me for not being "grateful for this day." No religion or politics, no contraversy. People who care, not because they feel obligated to, but because they chose to with no strings attached, nothing to gain from being your friend except your friendship.

awesome post!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I don't chit chat just to chit chat. In fact, I'm very antisocial. I don't even have an FB account.

MFP is completely different. MFP brings us all here for physical health purposes, and then discussion arises naturally. Honestly, except for longterm friends and family who live some distance from each other, I think FB is weird.
  • KissMyAx
    KissMyAx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Stopped using fb altogether! I find MFP to be much better and the friends and support on here is outstanding. If I want the drama like on fb, I just go on the message boards! Lol!
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    TheDreadPirateRoberts Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Oh and FB can and does ruin relationships. I've seen too many people's lives adversly affected by it to think its a good thing.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I don't go onto FB much anymore since joining MFP. I get a lot more support here from strangers and we are all working toward similar goals.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I ditched my Facebook account about 2 years ago, and haven't missed it yet. Sick of the privacy crap.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    MFP all the way!

goddamn right!
    i hardly fb anymore. god, my public must be stricken with greif! maybe i should prepare a statement...
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Agree with you on the "like" button, for sure!!

I don't actually know any of my MFP friends in person, but there are a number I'd love to meet. FB still works for me a little bit, too though... for my friends from high school/college that I don't see in person any more, that I still want to keep in contact with... it's useful for that. But I do seem to be spending less and less time on FB and more over here... ;-)
  • Spice_4_Life
    Spice_4_Life Posts: 225
    Options
    MFP definitely!! :) Great supportive friends with something in common. HEALTHY living!! :happy:
  • YaBoiMUGS
    YaBoiMUGS Posts: 237
    Options
    What's facebook?
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    They are not there for the same reason.

On FB I get to be myself.

On here I'm an alias. :)
  • Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I have both, but I rarely go on my FB page anymore since discovering MFP. I like MFP WAY better and there's less drama! :laugh:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    They are not there for the same reason.

On FB I get to be myself.

On here I'm an alias. :)

weird...im the exact opposite ;)
  • XxTtWw33TtYyxX
    Options
    mfp of course.. :)