Too shy to run...

Options
I really want to start running but I think getting over my shyness is going to be difficult. I would rather run outside than at the gym since a) It's free and b) scenery and several other reasons. Yet as I have said I have been putting it off because I am too shy! Running with a friend isn't possible since they don't enjoy it and I don't have a car to drive to the middle of nowhere and do it. I'm paranoid people will look at me. It's been a long time since I ran and I doubt I could do 2 minutes now without needing a break and I'm nervous of being judged as weak and unfit.

I know all runners out there started somewhere, and hoping someone can advise me how they got over being shy and just got up, out and did it. Any advice for just not caring what others think?

Replies

• alexandra0690
    Options
    who gives a **** if ppl stare....ur out there doing your thing. get over it. have some balls. :) good luck.:smile:
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    who gives a **** if ppl stare....ur out there doing your thing. get over it. have some balls. :) good luck.:smile:

I know I need that attitude it's just hard getting it XD
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    That's funny, I JUST wrote about this in my blog.

http://hereivelanded.blogspot.com/2012/07/you-got-this.html

I look REALLY dorky when I run. But you know what? A year ago I couldn't run a quarter mile, and as of today I've completed a 5k (with pretty decent time) and I'm training for a half marathon.

YES people will look. The people who don't have the guts to get out there and run themselves. They might even judge you or think mean thoughts in your head or they might even turn to their friend and laugh at you. YES! That might happen.

BUT!

1) You don't know them and will never see them again.
    2) In 5 minutes they will be making snotty comments about someone else and forget you exist.
    3) REAL athletes will NOT be looking at you or if they do they probably won't be judging you.
    4) No matter how many people see you, nothing will make you feel better than looking back a year from now and realizing that you felt like this and you overcame it and did something awesome.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I used to run... then stuff happened and I put on 40lb.

Did I relish the idea of running outside and some people looking with me shuffling at some pathetic pace jiggling around?
    No. Of course not.

Initially I ran just woodland trails where you hardly ever encounter anyone... but at the end of the day, you just have to get over yourself.

Let's face it most people have enough of their own life and stuff and in their heads to be getting on with to pay you any attention. Nobody is the centre of the universe. And in the event that some smart@rse shouts something out of a car or whatever, these things happen and he is just a sad **** who needs to get a life.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Just go for it. I was too shy to work out in public for a long time. In the end, I forced myself to get out there and to ignore the stares. Once I was out, I actually found I felt confident thinking that once I was better perhaps I could inspire people who see me out there as they're driving past in their cars, or are walking and I run past them. Runners are friendly people, too, which helps. You see a fluorescent figure coming towards you, and you're always going to exchange smiles or a little wave as you run past. It's surprisingly social even if you're running alone.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I really want to start running but I think getting over my shyness is going to be difficult. I would rather run outside than at the gym since a) It's free and b) scenery and several other reasons. Yet as I have said I have been putting it off because I am too shy! Running with a friend isn't possible since they don't enjoy it and I don't have a car to drive to the middle of nowhere and do it. I'm paranoid people will look at me. It's been a long time since I ran and I doubt I could do 2 minutes now without needing a break and I'm nervous of being judged as weak and unfit.

I know all runners out there started somewhere, and hoping someone can advise me how they got over being shy and just got up, out and did it. Any advice for just not caring what others think?

Can you get up early when there aren't many people out there? I'm usually up at 5:00 am to run for that main reason (the other one being it's cooler outside!). There are a few other runners/bikers out but that's about it. I get it about being shy. But you know what? At least you're out there. Doing something to make yourself healthy! That's the important thing. And to get started, check out the C25K program. AWESOME program!!
  • shaxnax
    shaxnax Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way. I started by going disgustingly early in the morning while other people were still sleeping. I had a hard time doing two blocks without feeling like doom. It's been about a month and a half and I now go later in the morning and can run for over a mile straight before I feel like doom. Sometimes I still feel weird about doing it while more cars are driving past, but I know when I'm driving the only thing I think about runners is, "gotta move over so I don't run that person over" you can do it!
  • georgeinthecord
    georgeinthecord Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That's what I have started to do... I just go as soon as the sun comes up and everyone is asleep. Go for it, it's really rewarding!
  • FitnFabMichelle
    FitnFabMichelle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You just have to force yourself to do it. And do it knowing you're going to start off with 1 minutes of running followed by 1 to 2 minutes of walking...and then just build on it.

And trust me - if anyone is looking at you what they'd be thinking is "man, I so need to do that too!" There's no reason for anyone to think anything negative about what you're doing.

You have to start somewhere. Just do it. You'll be happy you did.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers and they make a lot of sense, it's just trying to get that into my head. I'm going to ask around and see if there are any places to run that are more secluded than the ones I know about. Failing that I just need to just get up and do it. Hopefully with every run completed, my confidence will grow.... I just have to start believing what I just said >.>
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have been in your shoes as i'm sure most of us have. Actually the first time I ran outside I got a smart *kitten* rude comment and guess what I realized? I didn't care! who cares what people think, you're doing this for you and no one else! go out there and have fun, you'll find it becomes addicting!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    You just have to do it.

I guarantee no one is looking at you when you run be it in the gym our on the road. So what if you need to take a break in the middle of your run? No one is going to stop the car and yell at you or point and laugh as they drive by because frankly no one cares that you're out there doing your thing (and I don't mean that in a nasty way either. They just don't!).
  • Kim_BUFF_Fox
    Options
    I also felt the same when I first started out. I was paranoid that other people would see me and think I wasn't running fast enough / I was running weird / I was wobbling about etc the list goes on!

Admittedly, I just had to get over it. The more I went out, the easier it got. Don't be afraid to walk or slow down. Just do what feels comfortable and maybe just aim to reach a further landmark each time (for example, I used to use the lampposts as my markers for how far I'd gone and try and beat it on my next run)

Music is also a good distraction. I also found that if people were staring in cars going past I could just feel smug in the fact that I was exercising for my dream figure and they were sat on their *kitten* getting from A to B. I also signed up to my first 10k as a way of making sure I HAD to force myself outside to run. NO EXCUSES!

Best of luck with it. Taking those first few steps are sometimes hard but it's worth it long term. Think of the benifits xx
  • cinemafromage
    Options
    It is daunting to start, but it's still doable! Get yourself a program to get yourself up to speed and soon your 2 minutes will turn into 30!

I started Couch to 5k at 299 lbs. Wasn't pretty . Did it anyways! Today, I finished week 8 doing a 28 min run. Two things that I've noticed in the 8 weeks I've been doing it:

1.) Other runners, cyclists and walkers: Almost *every single time* you pass another running/walker/cyclist? They will give you a smile, a thumbs up and a wave. Especially the other runners. I've learned that none of them are judging, they're just happy to see you started. If you stopped to say, "I can only run for 2 minutes", I gurantee they'll see "that's a great start!"

2.) With everybody else you pass out there that see's you running? I've made it a mantra in my head that they might look at me funny from their lawn chair in their driveway; I'm running a hell of a lot father than they can. Even if it is only 2 minutes.

So that is to say, it's not so bad! :)
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    Thank you all for being so motivating! I have decided I am going right now to do a run and stop making excuses. Rather than plan and put it off I really need to get up and do it now! If I'm not back in 20 minutes, I did it >=3 thanks again!
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Every time I see another person out there running, big or small, I think "*kitten* Ya! Look at them. Way to go!" It just inspires me any where I go. I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks like that.

If you are out there doing it, you are inspiring someone too. There's nothing to be ashamed of....only something to be proud of.

Good luck with your running. You can do it.
  • kalaharirose
    Options
    I tell you what, I love seeing people new to running getting out there and going for it. Becoming a runner is HARD WORK. Every time I see someone who looks like they are new to running, I want to shout out to them "GOOD JOB!! YOU CAN DO IT! JUST KEEP PUSHING!" So, for every person that looks at you, just imagine my comments as their thoughts. Be encouraged, because for each day you run a bit further the better you are going to be!
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I used to be too shy to run b.c of my big boobs ...but screw everyone else!
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about people staring at all! Besides, no one really looks "cool" exercising. They just think they do :)
  • szuszanna
    szuszanna Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Not sure if its an option for you, but I do my runs through the graveyard. Its a mixture of gravel roads and paved, and very large with lots of different sections. I see a few people from time to time either running or walking, and if I do see a service going on I just move to a different section and keep going. For me, its just peaceful and beautiful scenery, but also a good reminder that I'm doing it so I don't end up there before my time. And who knows, maybe someone will see you and you can be their motivation to start being a healthier person also!