Too shy to run...

Options

Replies

• MarkAWhipple
    MarkAWhipple Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You don't have to run. Go out and walk. Walk for 45 minutes at a good pace. If you get to a clear area, jog for a bit. I was also freaking out about being judged. I decided it wasn't worth it. Of course, I still walk really early in the morning. It's ok to be shy, you can overcome it.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    You can always start with intervals. Walk 4 mins/jog 1 min for either a certain time (30 mins for example) or a distance (2 mile route for example). I started running years ago with intervals and it really helped me. I was so focused on my watch to keep up with my interval, that I forgot to care about everyone else out there. :D
  • danacr73
    danacr73 Posts: 6
    Options
    There is a episode of Friends where Jennifer Anniston was embarrassed by the way Phebe was running (like a child). Then she tried it and found out how much fun it can be. The first step is just to do it. Since you are starting out set goals for yourself and focus on that - most other runners are focusing on their personal goals as well. That is one of the beauties of running - it is about challenging yourself.
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    this helped me . . . taken from http://flintland.blogspot.ca/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.

don't be shy about what others think . . . they just might think you are awesome for what you are doing.
  • rosarenee1
    rosarenee1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Honestly, do not care what other people think. I was a little self conscious in the beginning but once you are actually runnin/jogging it doesn't matter. People who will also be out running are too focused on their own activity to judge you. Plus there are going to be people of different levels running! AND if someone in a CAR is judging you, then they're just secretly jealous they wish they could get out and do it too! :)

Really though, don't let that reason stop you. Outdoor running is great. Just run around your neighborhood, I do that sometimes or if you can get to a park that is ideal also! Good luck!!
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i've totally been here. nothing to be ashamed of for being nervous - i bet a lot of people feel this way. all of my friends run (most of them anyway) but i've always been too embarrassed to run with them, even when they said they would take it slow for me. but after a year of running, i did a 3 mile run with a friend and it was awesome. i have two pieces of advice:

1. couch to 5k. seriously, it's great. i went from 'can't run at all' to running 3-4 miles. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

2. until you get to weeks 9-12, when you are running miles without stopping, run in your neighborhood. i just ran around my neighborhood backstreets where not many people would see me. then when you can run a couple miles, head out into the world.

good luck!
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    That's funny, I JUST wrote about this in my blog.

http://hereivelanded.blogspot.com/2012/07/you-got-this.html

I look REALLY dorky when I run. But you know what? A year ago I couldn't run a quarter mile, and as of today I've completed a 5k (with pretty decent time) and I'm training for a half marathon.

YES people will look. The people who don't have the guts to get out there and run themselves. They might even judge you or think mean thoughts in your head or they might even turn to their friend and laugh at you. YES! That might happen.

BUT!

1) You don't know them and will never see them again.
    2) In 5 minutes they will be making snotty comments about someone else and forget you exist.
    3) REAL athletes will NOT be looking at you or if they do they probably won't be judging you.
    4) No matter how many people see you, nothing will make you feel better than looking back a year from now and realizing that you felt like this and you overcame it and did something awesome.

Excellent response. As for #3? Real athletes are so supportive of anyone trying at any level. They all started at zero and know it takes hard work and commitment to be fit. They do it every day. Anyone else? Who cares what they think. They aren't living in your body.
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I just put in my headphones and zone out. (Trust me no one will be mocking you, they are all envious that you are doing what they can't.)

Yesterday, just when I thought I was getting away with being unnoticed as a runner, a neighbor I never spoke with stopped me to say how he's been seeing me run for months and thinks it is awesome! He said he can see how much I've improved and its amazing!

That really made my day. :-)
  • ACEgirl1
    ACEgirl1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'll be back to see if you did it. I'm rooting for you (and I used to feel the same way!)
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I started out being very self-conscious about getting out and jogging. I just knew people would think it very funny to see a 50 year old man with a big gut out jogging. I just did it anyway. I have come to realize that most people don't pay it any attention at all, and the few who do are likely thinking "I should do that". I have even had a couple of people give me the "thumbs up".

I think once you just get out there and do it a couple of times you'll realize it is no big deal. I travel all over the country and daily see people, ALL sorts of people, out running, jogging, or just walking briskly to get their exercise. I think it's great.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i jog in place in my bedroom.
  • huggymama
    huggymama Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Find a running programme that starts slowly in jog/walk segments. I always felt conscious of what ppl thought when I was doing to walk segment, but then i'd remind myself i'm doing something about my fitness instead of driving along eating burgers and passing judgement on others.

sure i've had rude comments. i used to run with music so i wouldn't hear them, but for safety i now run unplugged! Oh, and a "come on then if you can keep up" as i run off makes me feel better!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Every runner I see when I'm out and about gets a mental high five from me. There's nothing negative about getting out there and trying. I never think or say negative things about someone who is out there pounding the pavement.
  • PhiliciousCurves
    PhiliciousCurves Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    You can't live your life by caring what strangers think about you. If you don't feel comfortable running, maybe you can do a mixture of walking, jogging, and running. I'm no runner, but I do a combination of walking and jogging. I've had people pass me by and look back as if I'm suppose to keep up with them! NOT!! :noway: I work at a pace that I'm comfortable with and I think you should do the same.

Good luck!
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My 1st run in god knows how many years took a lot of courage to get me out the door. Imagine my horror when after plotting my 1st run route by taking the dogs for walks until I found a loop I was happy with I turned a corner and the fire brigade were there as there'd been a minor fire in the field.

I was beetroot, I had old joggy bottoms on and a baggy t-shirt I looked dreadful. Rather than run past them I had to head back into the street and by the time I got home I realised I had forgotton to apologise to anyone who had seen such a sight out on the road.

In time, and it didnt take long, I realised that ok I might be going slow, I might look like I've ran a marathon but only done 1/2 mile but you know what I was out there doing something for me, to make me healthier and to make me happy and sod the rest of them.

I would say put on your trainers and whatever you feel happy running in, and go for a walk, when there's no-one around pick up and do a little jog, then walk a bit more then jog a bit more. Before long you'll be running with a little bit of a walk.

I hope you get the confidence to go out, you wont regret it and outdoors is 1000 time better than a treadmill. Good luck and if you want to add me as friend please do.
  • WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    Options
    I was driving down the road and saw a 400ish pound person jogging down the street. my first thought wasn't oh wow they are big, it was "wow i am very impressed and encouraged by there faithfulness to getting in shape". the moral of the story is that not everyone will have negative judgements, don't get me wrong some people are rude (that's just their nature). when i run i sometimes get embarassed about my fat jiggling when i run, but then i remember that everyone elses opinion out there doesn't matter. i say get out there and be proud of yourself for doing what is healthy and fun. One day you will look back and be thankful that you did start running because you will see how far you really came. please also note that you are your worst critic, sometimes what others think of you is way better than how you judge yourself. ease up on yourself and know that you are good looking, even if you need to put sticky notes on your mirror and read "i am good looking" every morning...DO IT!

best of luck to you, get out there and trample some road!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I can appreciate the shyness becuase I am, in ways, an extremely shy person. That being said, I started running at 245 lbs and I say '*&^* them' You are running, and they are not, so who should feel better about themselves? YOU!!!

I do usually go on side streets, instead of major roads, etc. but I always go.
    You can do it!!

ETA - When I started I couldn't even run a minute without needing CPR, I have ran over 8k since then... You will get there.
  • edenjoy3
    edenjoy3 Posts: 45
    Options
    I use to have an issue with this also..it may sound a little wierd but hey it's what I did. I use to run in the cemetery ..there usually isn't many people there (well alive atleast) ...after a while I just didn't care anymore what people thought and started running around my neighboorhood.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    There's nothing to be shy about. No one will be paying any attention to you. If they pass you they might look but people will look at you no matter what you're doing. That's just what happens when you go out in public. Lol.
  • rosarenee1
    rosarenee1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through the responses yet but check out the Couch to 5k App. It eases you into running! I was never a runner and started this program 8 weeks ago and am almost finished. I had to take a slight heat related break but back on track.