Too shy to run...

Options

Replies

• rmsturdy
    rmsturdy Posts: 73
    Options
    It is daunting to start, but it's still doable! Get yourself a program to get yourself up to speed and soon your 2 minutes will turn into 30!

I started Couch to 5k at 299 lbs. Wasn't pretty . Did it anyways! Today, I finished week 8 doing a 28 min run. Two things that I've noticed in the 8 weeks I've been doing it:

1.) Other runners, cyclists and walkers: Almost *every single time* you pass another running/walker/cyclist? They will give you a smile, a thumbs up and a wave. Especially the other runners. I've learned that none of them are judging, they're just happy to see you started. If you stopped to say, "I can only run for 2 minutes", I gurantee they'll see "that's a great start!"

2.) With everybody else you pass out there that see's you running? I've made it a mantra in my head that they might look at me funny from their lawn chair in their driveway; I'm running a hell of a lot father than they can. Even if it is only 2 minutes.

So that is to say, it's not so bad! :)

What this guy said! I hated my life the first couple times I started running because I was slow and red in the face and gasping...basically dying. 12 weeks later, I'm about to run 6 miles on Wednesday! AND I LOVE running past people, because even though I still look like I'm dying and I'm still not fast, I see the admiration in their faces that I'm out running while they're being lazy. (I run a loop around a lake so there's a LOT of picnic-ers and fishers) Plus, I'm SO proud of myself for sticking to it. You'll get there. Just put those head phones on, rock some awesome music and get lost in your mind.
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    My best friend is a runner (and beautiful and skinny) and when she offered to run with me, i was like, oh, no, no no no. i tried for 50 feet to keep a good pace and almost passed out. i said i needed to go way slow, and there we were, plodding along for as long as i could, then walking until i regained my breath, then back to plodding along.

along the way, we passed a woman. twice. the first time, she was standing in the grass, beside the sidewalk. as we passed, i was huffing and puffing, but still moving and mustered a good morning. my friend, let out a perky good morning, and on we went.

When we turned around not too much further down the road, we came across the same woman, plodding along, just like me. my friend and i both reached our hands up in the air and cheered for her. because if anyone understood how she felt, it's me. and if i see her again next week, i'll tell her to jump in with us, because i realize how important that support is, reminding me that i can do it, and pushing me past where my mind thinks i can go, to let me go where my body actually can go.

who cares who sees, just run and enjoy the sun and fresh air in your lungs :)
  • rmsturdy
    rmsturdy Posts: 73
    Options
    Oh! And try the "RUN! ZOMBIES!" app So stinkin fun!!!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Loved this. Thank you... also one that hides in the trails here so that was good to read :) great job on getting out there for a run
    this helped me . . . taken from http://flintland.blogspot.ca/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.

don't be shy about what others think . . . they just might think you are awesome for what you are doing.
  • alexandra0690
    Options
    Don't worry about people staring at all! Besides, no one really looks "cool" exercising. They just think they do :)

psh. i KNOW i look cool.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I never got over the shyness, I just do it anyways. I also go to a school track to run, cause there's mostly no one there usually.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I was pretty shy at first too. I actually run on a fairly busy road, it's also a bike trail and most of the people running on the trail are not beginners. One time I was running up the hill and these two guys who were casually carrying a conversation and running like it was no big deal high-fived me and said something upbeat. I couldn't understand what it was, but it didn't have a negative tone to it. I was surprised because I probably looked like a hippo stuck in the mud.
  • ingalynn
    ingalynn Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    1) read this blog! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/617199-hey-fat-girl?hl=hey+fat+girl&page=18#posts-9671207

2) I go to a school track nearby early in the morning. There is usually no one else there so I don't worry about it, but occasionally I cross paths with someone and always remember ^^number 1.

I started the couch to 5k and just finished my 3rd week. I am now running 3 minutes at a time. Doesn't sound like much, but I know I couldn't run that long 3 weeks ago.

Good luck.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way:

If I run for two minutes and then have to slow to a walk, anyone driving by has no idea how far I've already run. For all they know, this is my warm up or my cool down. AND when I see anyone running, no matter how awkward, overweight, or slow, I think YOU GO GIRL because anyone who does something positive for her body deserves nothing but praise and positive vibes.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    this helped me . . . taken from http://flintland.blogspot.ca/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.

don't be shy about what others think . . . they just might think you are awesome for what you are doing.

What a fab letter & it's very true.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options

Hey, Fat Girl.

You are awesome.

I bow to you.

I love this! I'm printing it off and carrying it in my bra. If things get hard while I'm running and no one is looking I can read this and hopefully will be motivated to carry on.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about people staring at all! Besides, no one really looks "cool" exercising. They just think they do :)

Love it!

I'm the same. I really need to up my workouts so I don't plateau and want to run. I've started the C25K on the treadmill at the gym but I'd love to just run whenever and wherever. Scared of getting laughed at!

Having said that, I've watched a guy walking every day for about two years. When I first noticed him, he was a BIG guy. Every time I see him, he's plugging away at his walk (a fast one) and I think Good for you mate!

These days he's almost unrecognisable -- he kept on with his daily walks and now he looks amazing. About a third of his former self! I want to get out of the car and give him a hug for doing so well, but he'd prob think that was creepy!!

I want his motivation! I need to get out there don't I? :blushing:

Yip! Well done on your C25K so far but once you're outdoors it's a differen experience it's the best!! As for the guy a friend of mine who I've only known as a runner list something like 5st by starting to walk then jog. He's now a formidable runner but he's never lost the love & passion for it.

Go get em tigers!!
  • krystyleee
    krystyleee Posts: 219
    Options
    Honestly, I was like this at first too. I spent so long not wanting to run because of the way I thought I looked or because I thought people were staring at me But then I sat down and thought about it. Would I rather get over my fear, run, and feel great about myself? Or sit and feel terrible about myself for not running ANd because I think people are watching me? Girl, trust me. It's not worth it to care so much about what other people think to the point where it stops you from getting to your goals. And I've realized, it was all in my head. People are outside running or at the gym for the same reason you are so don't let it get to you!

Get to runnin'!
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm more impressed by those that I see that are working towards completing a mile for the first time than those that are doing a 20 miler for the 20th time. Though running 20 miles is pretty dang impressive. :-)

Get out there and run. Enjoy the community that comes with running. Be the inspiration for the next person that is feeling judged and/or shy.

You got this!
  • mommamisty823
    Options

Hey, Fat Girl.

You are awesome.

I bow to you.

I read this and almost started to tear up :cry: (in a happy way). This is so great. I just started running (literally yesterday, doing the couch to 5k) and I was nervous at first knowing people would think, "She is so not good at this." (or worse). I just told myself that everyone has to start somewhere.
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    When I first got into running, my usual route took me down a trail that was well populated with ridiculously fit and thin people in fashionable exercisewear. It reminded me of my first time working out in a gym in that it was only intimidating for a very short while. I soon realized that most everyone was too busy running and sweating and rocking to their ipods to really care about anyone else. Just go for it. You'll feel better for it.
  • jlk220
    jlk220 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I felt the exact same way seeing how I live in a college town with a bunch of sorority girls always out jogging. so finally i just sucked it up and put on headphones to distract my attention, then drove to a rich/nice neighborhood (so i definitely wouldn't know anyone, ha). i never noticed anyone looking at me or anything.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    18429001_1180.jpg

That's what you keep in mind when you start running.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    See if there's a store that sells running shoes. A lot of them have running clubs and some even have "classes" to teach you how to run. They're usually very welcoming to people getting into running. :)
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I started running at 207 or so, with no sports bra and my "flab" flopping all over :) But I did it. No one is going to look at you bad, in fact, many people will probably be sitting going "man, that girl can run, I wish I could". Don't worry about what others think, just do it for YOU!