Do you weigh yourself everyday? Why or why not?

Options

Replies

• mjox27
    mjox27 Posts: 7
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning right when I wake up. It is just a reminder that I am doing good if it's down. And if it is up then it serves as a good reminder that I need to reevaluate what I did the day before.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, just before I get in the shower in the morning. It's just part of my routine and it actually helps me not get so hung up on what the scale says - I can see the big picture and not put too much stock in a high or low spike one day.
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I do, but it is probably not a good practice. Not sure ... sometimes it helps me keep motivated. I also can see results real quick so it pays off. last week I lost 5 pounds so I could see the weight coming off almost daily.
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning just to see where I am. It motivates me to keep doing what I'm doing. If it's higher, I know I need to work harder that day. If it is lower, I know that I have been doing good and I will keep going. I don't log my weight unless there has been a significant amount of weight lost, like two to four pounds.
  • rhe280
    rhe280 Posts: 71
    Options
    everyday...but i only record every monday. A week is just to long for me....:bigsmile:
  • blakhitman
    blakhitman Posts: 29
    Options
    I do, but only really log on the morning of my cheat day since I know after my cheat day for a few days I got a ton of water weight!
  • tempest501
    tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day but I only log it once a week, I also log my bodyfat, water content and lean muscle mass too.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily upon awaking before eating or drinking but after a good morning pooh.:drinker:
    And I record any gains the instant I enter a newer, lower number.
    EXAMPLE: If I was 199.9, then saw my weight creeping down day after day, I would not record a new weight on MFP until that scale said 198.9.
    And I record 198....and so on....
    Makes it more fun for me, but some people who stress out over the scale would go insane doing this.
    I get it.
    To each his own.
    I also track progress with bodyfat. Weight is not the whole picture, and the scale can lie as badly as the man in the mirror.
    You can check here for free: http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html
    Something else to obsess over? Not al all.
    Remember, you rule the numbers - not the other way around.
    Have a great day!
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    HELL NAH i dont even weigh myself ever, all it does is freak me out. weight fluctuates so much; measurements and observing how clothing fits/ progress pics are much more effective in my opinion :)
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    I definitely weigh every morning, before breakfast.
    I do it because even if I may gain an ounce or lose a few, it's good to keep track of the little things you are doing- That way you don't wait a week and find out you've gained, you can learn on the way to prevent it.
    ^^^This^^^ :)
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I do, but I wish I didn't LOL. It drives me nuts sometimes...it's more of an obsession than anything (I have horrible OCD). I think it helps keep me accountable though.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I weigh every day, but log once a week. The reason? My weight fluctuates by up to 4 pounds from day to day. This way, I can actually see it happening and when I weigh in to record once a week, it's not a slap-in-your-face surprise if I haven't lost weight that week.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Weighing yourself daily is, for most people, a terrible idea. Your body weight will fluctuate by about five pounds, just based on food in your system and water weight. A lot of people find it really discouraging when the scale isn't moving. Once a week or every couple weeks is much better.
  • farmer50340
    farmer50340 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I weigh in and check in every morning after my morning routine (shower, brush teeth and the like). I also check in every day. Good or bad, I've got it there. If I'm up, I want to see it, if I'm down, I REALLY want to see that. My morning weigh in also helps me to decide my meals and activity for the day.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Depends, I usually would every day in the morning right when i wake up after i visit the facilities and right before I eat or drink anything and record it.

recently i went to once a week, ive been on this weight loss thing a while so it's not tempting as of now, but i was a scale-a-holic for sure.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily upon awaking before eating or drinking but after a good morning pooh.:drinker:
    And I record any gains the instant I enter a newer, lower number.
    EXAMPLE: If I was 199.9, then saw my weight creeping down day after day, I would not record a new weight on MFP until that scale said 198.9.
    And I record 198....and so on....
    Makes it more fun for me, but some people who stress out over the scale would go insane doing this.
    I get it.
    To each his own.
    I also track progress with bodyfat. Weight is not the whole picture, and the scale can lie as badly as the man in the mirror.
    You can check here for free: http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html
    Something else to obsess over? Not al all.
    Remember, you rule the numbers - not the other way around.
    Have a great day!
    YOU RULE THE NUMBERS-NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND...I LOVE THIS!!
  • MichelleB1427
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning before I get ready for work. I just like to see where I am at. If I lost I'll be happy, if I didnt I will do some extra exercising for the day! =) I hear a lot of people outside of MFP saying NOT to weigh every day, but every week... I dont like to wait in between. So i will weigh myself but only try to record it once a week. I dont feel like I will beat myself up for gaining a pound or so, as I know my weight will go up and down at certain times of the month... So I do it more to keep myself on track.
  • its_betty
    its_betty Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't have too much to lose, and I tend to lose weight very slowly. My normal weight fluctuations are more than the amount I try to lose in a week or two. If I only weighed weekly and happened to hit a day when I fluctuated upwards, it would look like I gained--not good for my ego! By weighing daily, I can see the trend and know if my weight is trending in the right direction: down.
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. Just as I track what I eat everyday. Why? Because it is a good reminder. I don't put much "weight"(pun) into it, but it helps keep me focused. I frequently gain and lose 1-3 lbs. I weigh in the same time everyday. After I wake up, before I eat.
  • wootsbr18
    wootsbr18 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself everyday because I feel that if I do I wouldn't happy or I'd be over ecstatic. The problem with that is that is I'd be putting stress on myself one day and then another day I could do whatever I feel. I think it's easier just to weigh once a week on the same day so you know where you are at and what you can change from week to week and not pressure yourself by doing day to day changes!