I've never been so happy with my ex.

Replies

• Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Coach bag, Shoes or a Vacation =)

An engagement ring is a GIFT, it does not need to be given back!!!!!!!!!!!
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    I sent it to him and he mailed it back.
    He says that I'm the devil and that he doesn't want it back. I'm a sunday school teacher and I leave in January to do missionary work, so I never really understood...

He told me to sell it. So I did. :)
    No one should be dumped over text message. Especially by their fiancé.
    I don't feel bad.

Take yourself to a spa. And get the works. I WISH I had enough to do that!
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    An engagement ring has to be given back if the marriage never happens. He can actually sue you for it.

depends on who canceled the wedding. if she did she is legally required to give it back since she broke the contract, if he cancelled the wedding, it's considered a gift.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    An engagement ring has to be given back if the marriage never happens. He can actually sue you for it.

Only if she ended the engagement, if he ended the engagement, she is allowed to keep it as it is considered a gift, if she broke off the engagement she should return it, and depending on the state can be sued as it's considered a promise to marry.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    yep give it back,, the problem with todays women is they all think about the money and that it is theirs when actually it is not.. it was a verbal agreement. once that agreement is over the ring goes back to the rightful owner. now if you were married that is one thing.. but not an engament ring.. but of course that will never happen most women take the money spend it on themselves and goon about their day..

Boy that is a cynical view of women.
  • I got $600. I wasn't going to accept less than $700, but I prayed about it and they seemed like such sweet people.
    Why should I keep a ring that will only make me sad if it can be a symbol of the beginning of another couple?
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    I'm still trying to get rid of mine! How'd you do it? I've tried Kijiji and local ads but not eBay.
  • ktbug1186
    ktbug1186 Posts: 266
    I so take back what I said then...JERK!! so sorry that happened to you!!
  • I would save it. If you're leaving to do missionary work, there isn't a point in buying anything, unless you need necessities. One day you'll really need the money and least you'll have something positive to take away from the relationship.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Windfall. Goes to savings.
    End of story.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    He says that I'm the devil and that he doesn't want it back. I'm a sunday school teacher and I leave in January to do missionary work, so I never really understood...

I don't feel bad.

Take the money, and put it aside, you are going to do missionary work - you never know when you might need the extra cash.

Since he gave it back, stash the cash. Use some for supplies for missionary work if you have to and bank the rest. There are banks like ingdirect.com that are giving 0.8% interest on savings accounts. My local bank only gives me 0.05%...

(If you're a Sunday School teacher, you might be familiar with the story of the ant and the grasshopper... Be an ant!)
  • LilGiselle21
    LilGiselle21 Posts: 110 Member

I don't feel bad.

In that case....save it for when you leave to do your missionary work, or treat yourself to at least one thing.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    It actually depends on who called off the engagement. If he did than he loses the ring, if she did the ring should go back to him.

However; if it was a mutual break up than its up to the people involved in how they handle the situation of the rings.

I have been here before, this is what I was told by a friend of mine who is a lawyer, I asked more out of curiosity than anything because I did not want the ring.

This.
  • AnnaSAF
    AnnaSAF Posts: 7
    buy something pretty for yourself when you get to your goal weight :-)
  • luvmyleo
    luvmyleo Posts: 94 Member
    I got $600. I wasn't going to accept less than $700, but I prayed about it and they seemed like such sweet people.
    Why should I keep a ring that will only make me sad if it can be a symbol of the beginning of another couple?

Put half away for a rainy day and then have fun with half. But by something that is purely a splurge :)
  • I posted it to Craigslist this morning. Looks like someone is looking out for me. :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member

I don't feel bad.

If you dumped him, then the polite thing to do is return it. If he broke it off, then the ring is yours for sure. If he sent it back to you, then he knows it, too, and you are good to go. :flowerforyou:
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    I gave my engagement ring back............that being said if you are going to spend it, I say go for a nice dinner and a movie, some shoes and tattoos would be awesome!!

YES!
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    She's 18. You think she is gonna give it back. hahahahah. :) Unfortunately, we kids do crazy things (I am only 23, I consider myself a kid still, haha) I think You should save the money, because once you spend it, you are going to be thinking, ugh, I should have saved that money for something more important. At 18.... Let's see.... you will be needing money for a car, an apartment, school, groceries, bills, gas, hmmm, the list goes on.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    hookers and blow . . . oh and high heeled shoes.

And this is why I'm in love with you :love: