Inner thighs & love handles go away!!!! HEEELLPP!! add picz!

Options
13»

Replies

• questiontheanswers
    questiontheanswers Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later - great advice mndamon!
  • icesk8ermom
    icesk8ermom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks to mndamon for the sound advice.

I have a lot of the same problems, and I'm trying to build muscle and lose fat. My only problem right now is knee pain. I did body pump yesterday and didn't do any weight on squats. I feel OK--only hurting a little. I'm trying to really focus on technique and taking strain off of the knees.

I'm going to start using the squat machine in the gym and push my legs and slightly lean on the bar, so that it forces me to utilize the other muscles in the legs and butt.

Are there any other exercises I could do to isolate muscles with less knee strain?

I have just recovered from patella tendonitis and also have patella femoral syndrome (knee caps shift the wrong direction) and was in PT for too long....Anyhow the one thing that I was taught was to point my knees outward and not keep them straight. This takes the strain off the knee tremendously; you just have to be more aware of what you are doing and pay attention to where your knees are pointing. My PT made me doing this with any bending of my knees including doing leg presses, squats etc.

***I am not a Dr. or PT just providing the same advice that was given to me from my PT.

~ Best of luck to you
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Have any of you used any fat burning supplements or even vitamin supplements through bodybuilding.com that you thought was worth a dang?

My cousin and I have tried all sorts of stuff on there. I used to use Scivation Novem pre workout, Scivation XTend intra workout and then Muscle Pharm Recon for post workout.

Now I use Muscle Pharm Assault pre workout, ON Whey protein post workout and Muscle Pharm Combat protein right before bed. I use a regular CVS brand multivitamin and take Now Foods brand fish oil and flax oil softgels.
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    Can you tell me what HITT is??? Is it a program or a website???

Sorry, HIIT is high intensity interval training. Basically instead of running/jogging/walking at a steady pace for 20 minutes you do it in busts like sprinting. So a lot of the time I'll do 60 seconds max effort and then 120 seconds at a decent pace, wash/rinse/repeat for the 20-30 minutes.

There are some great articles out there that break it down as to what your heart rate "should" be at during max effort and regular pace but I prefer just to go all out for 60 seconds, take it down and then go all out again, etc etc. The less I have to think during cardio the better as it's definitely not my favorite thing to do.

Thank you. I was wondering this myself.
  • dandaninc
    Options
    Have any of you used any fat burning supplements or even vitamin supplements through bodybuilding.com that you thought was worth a dang?

I myself haven't started using anything other than just a healthy diet. My friend has told me that we will start introducing protein shakes into my diet soon. We are also goint to start working much harder when my muscles get used to the stength training. He is basically braking me in right now.
  • dandaninc
    Options
    bump
  • mndamon
    Options

I myself haven't started using anything other than just a healthy diet. My friend has told me that we will start introducing protein shakes into my diet soon. We are also goint to start working much harder when my muscles get used to the stength training. He is basically braking me in right now.

You could probably go ahead with the protein shakes now post workout at least. Sounds like you've already conquered the hardest part and that's getting down a good healthy diet and getting started with the workouts.
  • CoachJake83
    CoachJake83 Posts: 108
    Options
    Keep up with your exercise and nutrition and they'll go away. Unfortunately no way to tone a specific area of the body or do spot fat reduction. Just gotta lower overall body fat and eventually they'll disappear =D
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Okay, here is another naive question. How would I measure my body fat %?
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    @ icesk8ermom

I think it's joint related--but I have been pointing my feet out on my squats to work more of my inner thigh muscles, and I noticed that it does take the strain off of the knees. I think that I wills start doing that more.

Thanks for the advice.
  • mndamon
    Options

There are some sites that can show you how to do it at home with a caliper but I recommend going to a gym's trainer or doc and having them do it. I actually need to go have this done again in the next few weeks to track my progress. If you don't belong to a gym you can probably call around and find a place that has a trainer that will do it for a small fee.
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options

There are some sites that can show you how to do it at home with a caliper but I recommend going to a gym's trainer or doc and having them do it. I actually need to go have this done again in the next few weeks to track my progress. If you don't belong to a gym you can probably call around and find a place that has a trainer that will do it for a small fee.

I assumed I would nprobably have to visit a gym for their scale. If only our gym here in town HAD a daycare! lol. thank you for responding!
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    mndamon, thanks for posting this valuable information. I've learned quite a bit today thanks to you.
  • dandaninc
    Options

You could probably go ahead with the protein shakes now post workout at least. Sounds like you've already conquered the hardest part and that's getting down a good healthy diet and getting started with the workouts.

I have yes. The first 3 days were definitely the hardest. Basically braking my muscles in after 34 years of never working out really sucked but now I feel amazing and feel like I can do it. My trainer is a huge help too. He is definitely very supportiave and pushes me every single day with the diet and the training. (he happens to sit next to me at work) haha
  • mndamon
    Options
    mndamon, thanks for posting this valuable information. I've learned quite a bit today thanks to you.

My pleasure, glad to be of any help!
  • KellyLC1286
    Options
    bump
    Mndamon great advice, I've been trying to figure out a good layout for my workouts.
    Marcilene I have the same problem and trying to add in some workouts for my legs, I'm thinking about starting the two hundred squats program next week >>> http://www.twohundredsquats.com/index.html